Introducing the SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I thought it was a great video that I posted the link that I found on YouTube showing the radio up close on different modulations and it was from Arizona where they tend to have LSM issues. Looks great to me. There is only 1 man that works for ScannerMaster that lives in AZ that has one of these new SDS-200 so thanks for the video.

Hopefully more to follow

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Larsen tri-band has a new NMO model with a heavy duty mount and a spring. Same antenna. I've had mine for a few weeks now. Should be a good mobile antenna for the SDS 200. My old Larson tri-band was a good match with the 536.

I just received that new Larsen (new version with 700MHz), tested it...my $70 eBay Browning tri-band kills it on all bands, especially 800MHz. The Browning is ugly as hell though with a huge base...but can't argue with 15-20% better 800MHz RX.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
If the router is on the same desk, could I skip the bridge & go directly into the router?

Of course you could, the bridge would be for instances where there was no router in the vicinity to directly connect to.

Voyager

Likely a copy-n-paste from the SDS100. The 200 has two Micros (one front - one rear) and a USB-A on the front.

(personally, I would have preferred they jump right to USB-C rather than Micro USB)

I noticed in the Wiki that it says the SDS200 includes a USB mini and a USB micro port. But all I see is two USB micro ports. One front and one rear.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Understanding it will NOT come with the non-powered GPS Puck.

That is an accessory that is not available yet...I think that is the main reason I would buy this...its included with the Beartracker 885 why not for this $700 model?

mkt853

That is an accessory that is not available yet...I think that is the main reason I would buy this...its included with the Beartracker 885 why not for this $700 model?
Many people will use this as a base scanner making the puck useless. It would be a waste for Uniden to include it, and would unnecessarily drive up the cost. I like Uniden's approach of giving us the "bare bones" radio, and if you need to enable other features you pay a little extra if you feel it's worth it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Because the 885 literally cannot function as a scanner without GPS. There are no means to selectively program it or to manually select things you want to scan. It operates 100% based off of the GPS signal to determine location, which it uses to select the systems to scan. It's an extremely dumbed down implementation of Uniden's location scanning; imagine a 536 with no front panel that simply scanned the full database using nothing but the GPS coordinates to automatically turn the systems on and off as you drive along.

That's what the 885 is, and that is why it must come with the GPS puck, otherwise it's useless. The SDS200, and the rest of the Uniden full-featured scanners, are obviously able to function perfectly fine without GPS input. Don't think for a minute that the cost of the GPS puck isn't factored into the price of the 885, because it is. Not everyone should have to pay an additional $25-$50 for the SDS200 just for the convenience of the minority of purchasers getting the GPS puck.

trp2525

As an addendum to my post #39 in this thread yesterday (https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/introducing-the-sds200.382091/post-3054954), Bearcat Warehouse is also now offering for sale the CB-GPSK GPS accessory for the SDS200 (in addition to Uniden, Universal Radio and Ham Radio Outlet as I previously posted).

Bearcat Warehouse has the CB-GPSK for $49.99 plus $7.95 Flat Rate Shipping if you order the CB-GPSK separately: Uniden CB-GPSK

NOTE: If you order both the SDS200 scanner and the CB-GPSK at the same time from Bearcat Warehouse and use the promotion code DIGITAL at checkout, you get FREE shipping on both items. You can also use the same promotion code to get FREE shipping on the SDS200 if you are only ordering the scanner without the GPS accessory.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is the UDP protocol documented publicly yet?

It's the same as the BCD536HP Wi-Fi. jasonhouk, one of the Uniden beta testers posted the following:
So far with my testing there's been very few issues with the current version of ProScan with the SDS200 connected by LAN for control & audio. Just a screen resolution update to show all available information and update DB in MSM once finalized by Uniden.
Houk
Reference: https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/official-software-thread.95044/page-199#post-3053371

His testing was without ProScan SDS200 support so one can reason that he was using ProScan BCD536HP Wi-Fi mode to access the SDS200 data and audio.

So now we have to look at the BCD536HP. The commands protocol is the same if using the BCD536HP Wi-Fi or serial port, just the media is different.

So now we have to look at the remote command specs for the BCD536HP at:
BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Basically UDB works like this
1. Open a UDP connection(even though UDP by definition is connectionless). Usually at program start.
2. Send the command(or poll).
3. Get the scanner answerback data
4. Close the UDP connection. Usually at program end.

Last edited:

6079smithw

For those looking for the genuine Uniden GPS accessory for the new SDS200 (also used for the Uniden Beartracker 885 CB/scanner), the Uniden part/model number is CB-GPSK

Is there someone out there who could steer me to the genuine Pinout to said accessory? I would like to set up a 200 to work with an externally powered GPS 18x in tandem with the Kenwood D700 APRS. I've had stellar results with my 536, can't see why it wouldn't work just as well with the 200. I've looked thru the posts for the 885, came up empty so far, but my eyes aren't as keen as they used to be. (It's the age thing:()
Thanks!

Trucker700

Because the 885 literally cannot function as a scanner without GPS. There are no means to selectively program it or to manually select things you want to scan. It operates 100% based off of the GPS signal to determine location, which it uses to select the systems to scan. It's an extremely dumbed down implementation of Uniden's location scanning; imagine a 536 with no front panel that simply scanned the full database using nothing but the GPS coordinates to automatically turn the systems on and off as you drive along.

That's what the 885 is, and that is why it must come with the GPS puck, otherwise it's useless. The SDS200, and the rest of the Uniden full-featured scanners, are obviously able to function perfectly fine without GPS input. Don't think for a minute that the cost of the GPS puck isn't factored into the price of the 885, because it is. Not everyone should have to pay an additional $25-$50 for the SDS200 just for the convenience of the minority of purchasers getting the GPS puck.
You can manually enter the zip code with the 885, just like the 436/536. But, that's dangerous going down the road in an 18 wheeler!
Trucker

W5RGP

You can manually enter the zip code with the 885, just like the 436/536. But, that's dangerous going down the road in an 18 wheeler!
Trucker

Do you have the 885?
I’m betting you could put a t inline to the sds200 and use the same one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.