TRX-1: Is there a way to pickup Private / one-to-one calls on DMR Conventional?

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Is there anyway to hear the audio when a user goes one to one private call with another radio through the repeater? I found this thread TRX-1 Private Calls from 2017 but seems there was no workaround for this problem back then, is this still the case now?

I was monitoring a 2 slot conventional system and had it plugged in on the frequency entry direct tuning mode as I was monitoring at the time to see if there were any alternate TGIDs being used other than the 2 I already have in the database. I could hear one side of the conversation from the person being direct called but no audio was coming through from the direct caller even though I could still see the signal meter get peaked by the repeater system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It should pick up private calls, but unfortunately there aren't many/any DMR users in my area doing private to private.

That said, my suggestion is to program it in as a single channel trunked DMR system and make sure you enter a wildcard in both the Talk Group Details tab and Radio ID Details tab. Let me know the results please.

Capture.PNG

Hopefully @Whistler_Support will add there comments.

Ubbe

I was monitoring a 2 slot conventional system and had it plugged in on the frequency entry direct tuning mode as I was monitoring at the time to see if there were any alternate TGIDs being used other than the 2 I already have in the database. I could hear one side of the conversation from the person being direct called but no audio was coming through from the direct caller even though I could still see the signal meter get peaked by the repeater system.
If you hear one side then you should hear the other if they talk over the same conventional repeater. The signal bar indicates that the transmitter are outputting power and will do so for a while even when they have stopped talking.

In Tune Mode it should monitor everything so nothing more in the settings are needed to do. I'm listening to private calls now in tune mode from a conventional DMR repeater with my TRX-1. You saw the radio ID on the display from the person you could hear but no ID when the other person supposedly where transmitting?

/Ubbe

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
It should pick up private calls, but unfortunately there aren't many/any DMR users in my area doing private to private.

That said, my suggestion is to program it in as a single channel trunked DMR system and make sure you enter a wildcard in both the Talk Group Details tab and Radio ID Details tab. Let me know the results please.

View attachment 152557

Hopefully @Whistler_Support will add there comments.
The past month I found out what the issue is now. It wasn't going through the repeater, but I live only a mile away from the hospital campus that the handhelds can still register on the signal meter though not always break squelch on the TRX-1.

I found out the hard way now that they stopped using the repeater and are simplex but still TDMA lately. I only get about half the traffic but still hear the security and engineering channel on the same slots, and yes I have made a list of all the other frequencies for this license to make sure they didn't reverse or change the split.