• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Kia Telluride ham radio installation - Battery Connection information needed

vsp5151

Does anyone know how to connect the high current leads from a 50 watt 2 meter/220 mobile radio to a new Kia Telluride battery? I can't find anything on line about. I did find somewhere that they are being used for law enforcement vehicles but there was no technical information. I know that on a Ford F-150 there is a special way to connect to a shunt mounted on the battery. Thanks in advance for information

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Does anyone know how to connect the high current leads from a 50 watt 2 meter/220 mobile radio to a new Kia Telluride battery? I can't find anything on line about. I did find somewhere that they are being used for law enforcement vehicles but there was no technical information. I know that on a Ford F-150 there is a special way to connect to a shunt mounted on the battery. Thanks in advance for information

I don't know about the Kia, but I've done a bunch of Fords. No matter, the installation requirements are the same:

Positive lead from the radio needs to go to the battery + terminal. Install a fuse as close as reasonably possible to the battery.
The negative lead from the radio should be attached to a body ground close to the radio. No fuses. Find body steel near the radio and ground there.

The issue is the hall effect sensor that will be on the negative lead from the battery to the body. What they don't want you to do is give an alternate return path that bypasses that sensor.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Recently did a small upfit on a 2023.

Without interjecting my opinion on those overpriced POS's, it was a simple setup with a low voltage isolator from the main battery to a stud in the cabin supplying 12v for an inverter, cell booster and a low wattage two way radio.

Inverter was grounded to a seat bolt, two way was grounded to a body mounted bolt under the dash.

Like Mmckenna said, ground the equipment close to where its mounted, run power direct to battery. In my upfit, it was a 4 gauge running from the isolator (which got mounted under the intake tube to the side of the battery) down the left along existing harnesses into the body under the driver's seat. The inverter was under the drivers seat, grounded to the seat bolt, the other two pieces of equipment had their own fused leads from the stud we mounted under the seat.

didnt take photos, probably should have, but it was a half day of work in crap weather.

slowmover

Son and I going over his new vehicle to get lists together on an install: Dodge recommends unfused NEG going to sheetmetal near BATT ground (past utilizing professional).

Point is that you’ve a choice or two so long as problems avoided. “Closest” is also easiest once routing figured.

List of Materials + Routing.
Then, proper tools.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
On the subject of UNFUSED ground.

Many radios ground their case and the shield portion of the antenna jack is grounded as well. Since the shield of the antenna may have an electrical path to ground via the NMO or other antenna bracket, having a fuse on the ground can cause an issue, because if that fuse blows, the radio may still have continuity to ground via the antenna, and that is a whole new problem.

Therefore, fuse your POSITIVE side. Do not fuse your GROUND unless the radio specifically requires it.
Make your ground line as short as feasible, so its not a potential source of noise. Ground to something solid on the body.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Not sure I've ever seen an LMR radio come with a fused ground lead.
But I've seen a lot of amateur radio gear that does.

I think that's the ham manufacturers trying to cover all the possibilities with inexperienced installers, and seems to lead to a lot of confusion.

i've seen occasional kenwoods with the T style connector have a fused ground lead. My 100 watt VHF in the last truck had one, which I removed when i grounded it to the seat bolt. Other then that, i cant recall a single one. None of my motorolas have had one, none of the BK's i've installed, and i've done hundreds of those.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
i've seen occasional kenwoods with the T style connector have a fused ground lead. My 100 watt VHF in the last truck had one, which I removed when i grounded it to the seat bolt. Other then that, i cant recall a single one. None of my motorolas have had one, none of the BK's i've installed, and i've done hundreds of those.

I haven't seen a Kenwood LMR radio with a T power connector in a long time….

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Even the newer NX series mobiles from Kenwood came with fuses on both leads and actually had an SO-239 RF connector. It screamed ham. I got rid of it shortly after I bought it.