blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
The short answer is yes, it is easier to pick up a conventional tower because you know that anyone who is talking on/listening to that frequency is only using that tower, so you know you will hear all traffic. On a trunk system, you don't know what tower they are affiliated with, and 2 people could be having a conversation across 2 towers miles/counties apart that your scanner can't hear. Add simulcast to the mix and it gets even more complex since scanners don't handle simul very well. But the radios handle it pretty well (I won't say perfectly, because they can have issues too) but that is why they cost 3-4 thousand and a scanner costs 3-4 hundred. In my experience the stock multi-band antennas that come with the scanners are lousy on the state system, go for an 800 only antenna. They work MUCH better. Hope that answers your question Eric. And no, on the radios the audio is crystal clear, unless they go digital, which happens pretty infrequently.
I bet that news reporter is missing lots of traffic. I wonder if she realizes it or is tech savy. If she's using a stock duck from what i could see 15 ft away I bet the reception isn't great. And without doing some real studying with maps and the database on here to know which towers are in your area it's not going to be ideal to monitor with a scanner. And the fact that the average listener that is using a real scanner not a app, will be using a duck antenna they're not going to get much. Sucks. The good ole days of listening is going away. between the encrypted departments in some counties and the digital trunk systems that are in the clear, it's getting really difficult to monitor these days. Espeically with the cost of a digital scanner. I think my hobby is about done as i have no income to support a new $600 scanner and my handheld won't last forever and my mobile in my house is becoming obsolete.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I'm fairly certain Chase County Fire is on 4446 now. Lyon/Emporia FD went to the turnpike for a pole fire at MP118 and Chase Co Fire is enroute. I heard the Chase SO on the 800 and then heard talk on 4446 that sounds like the Fire Dept. So I guess they converted over. It's not in the database. just heard someone talking to a "Matfield One". Chase SO has 4444.
@mancow Have you seen my post? The database still isn't updated to reflect the changes. In addition I thank Chase Co EMS? Is on 4457. An Ambulance on there went to Newmans to take patient there. I am not sure if Chase Co has a separate channel for EMS. Still listening for more traffic on there. Emporia PD and FD should be switching over by now. But so far I don't have a talkgrouop. I know a dispatcher but she doesn't know anything about talkgroups. Not sure if they tell anyone about them. Does the dispatchers go by talkgroups on their radios? Do they show up on the displays?

mancow

Database Admin
@mancow Have you seen my post? The database still isn't updated to reflect the changes. In addition I thank Chase Co EMS? Is on 4457. An Ambulance on there went to Newmans to take patient there. I am not sure if Chase Co has a separate channel for EMS. Still listening for more traffic on there. Emporia PD and FD should be switching over by now. But so far I don't have a talkgrouop. I know a dispatcher but she doesn't know anything about talkgroups. Not sure if they tell anyone about them. Does the dispatchers go by talkgroups on their radios? Do they show up on the displays?

I don't have access to the trunking systems in the database so I can't help there.

The dispatcher will have talkgroup names on their consoles so to them it should basically be the same as far as basic user interaction goes. I just hope they aren't all encrypted.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I don't have access to the trunking systems in the database so I can't help there.

The dispatcher will have talkgroup names on their consoles so to them it should basically be the same as far as basic user interaction goes. I just hope they aren't all encrypted.
How do I submit freqs or talkgroups to the database? It's been many years since I had done it.

daddyjohn

I need help identifying TG 614. I hear it on the West Mineral site. Dispatch has UID of 15282, EMS 5 has UID of 13549, and radio checking was done with UID of 13622, all heard on TG 614. I have not been able to catch any street or town names yet.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
AMR EMS Dispatch is on 689. It sounds if most the calls on that channel are in Miami County. Can't confirm it though since most of their calls are accepted through MDT. Their JOCO Dispatch channel is 690 and Linn County 688. Both already in DB.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Weird. Seen this on DSDPlus this morning on Olathe:
BEE00.1B2-2.1 neighbor: Site BEE00.1B2-1.6; CC= CC-0-91 851.5750 Paola ISOLATED.
Seeing Paola Fire logging onto Olathe tower. Paola, might be down.
Few minutes later seems to be back online and seeing Denies from Franklin and Chanute Counties. Never seen that before.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Weird. Seen this on DSDPlus this morning on Olathe:
BEE00.1B2-2.1 neighbor: Site BEE00.1B2-1.6; CC= CC-0-91 851.5750 Paola ISOLATED.
Seeing Paola Fire logging onto Olathe tower. Paola, might be down.
Few minutes later seems to be back online and seeing Denies from Franklin and Chanute Counties. Never seen that before.
I wonder if it's something to do with testing of the Miami County add on site. The Paola site seems fine as of this morning.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if it's something to do with testing of the Miami County add on site. The Paola site seems fine as of this morning.
Yeah, probably some maintenance work. Not seeing any "Deny" Affiliations on Olathe today. Any word on where the new site will be? FCC listing for WQKW729 only has 1 and 3 of 4 total sites.

daddyjohn

Last night during favorable weather conditions I was able to catch what I think is a new site to the KSICS system. I live in the Carthage, Mo area so not sure where it might be coming from but like I said it was because of the favorable weather.2020-09-20 00.09.27.jpg2020-09-20 00.12.17.jpg