WQOC472

Anyone know what talkgroup(s) Cowley County is using for Law Enforcement? There is nothing in the DB for Cowley.

I know they have KSICS mobiles in their vehicles now (i've heard deputies talking on KHP, Sumner and Butler County talkgroups during agency assist events).

I know UHF conventional is still used for almost everything down here (including Sheriff Dispatch). But i've heard on multiple occasions deputies tell other deputies on UHF to "switch to the other radio".

nd5y

This site is probably on the air now.

This morning there was an excellent 800 MHz tropo opening. I was picking up about 10 KSICS in western KS.
Site 1-28 Collano showed a neighbor of 1-57 with cc 856.2125.
I was not able to receive it directly.
That matches one the freqs on the new licence for Liberal FCC Callsign WRFX266 (KANSAS, STATE OF).

Somebody needs to confirm if it is really there and submit all the necessary information.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
They still have to identify generally where the transmitter is located, such as a county, or 20 kilometers around a single lat/long location. Apparently they have a control station(s) in that county. A control station is a fixed station that talks to a repeater only (not other base stations or mobiles or other control stations). They also have to use directional antennas pointed at the repeater.
Bill

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Typically they would be located at "dispatch". Additionally they cannot have any other frequencies like base station or talk around frequencies. If they do then they are classified as a base station and have a specific lat/long location (and probably a taller antenna).
Bill

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Greetings everyone. I just returned earlier today from several days in East-Central Kansas. During my time up there, I spent a lot of time with my laptop logging various sites on the KSICS system, as well as while I was traveling up and down the Turnpike.

I just submitted a large number of updates to various sites (mainly neighbor lists, but some frequency/control channel updates as well), along with 4 new sites in Lyon county.

The big takeaway is, the system is reporting as a Project 25 Phase 2 system, and while it is still using Phase 1 throughout, the window is open to start using Phase 2 TDMA in the future. So, while you may see the DB admins update the system to show Phase 2, it won't affect listening with older Phase 1 only scanners (at least for now).

nd5y

That's strange. I didn't notice how far away that is at first. Maybe a pencil pusher thought Salina is in Pottowatamie County.
I figured it out I think. There were two new sites just licensed. The other one is in Wamego in Pottawatomie County. They probably accidentally put the same control station location on both applications.

nd5y

Greetings everyone. I just returned earlier today from several days in East-Central Kansas. During my time up there, I spent a lot of time with my laptop logging various sites on the KSICS system, as well as while I was traveling up and down the Turnpike.
Did you happen to log any frequencies for site 1-43?

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
Did you happen to log any frequencies for site 1-43?
All of the sites that listed it as a neighbor sent back 851.425 (which is the control channel on the Butler County simulcast site which is also one of the sites showing it as a neighbor).

But at the same time, DSDPlus reported from all the sites that listed it as a neighbor that site 1-43 is in a "Failed, Isolated" state, so it is likely not on the air wherever it is.

dgruver911

1-43 shows on the state list as Potwin, and I've been told there is a site there but I don't think it exists. Wish there was, because it would sure help out the SE part of our County.

lyon141

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any ideas about Talkgroups 5052 - 5506. I heard a couple of transmissions on these talkgroups in the Lyon County area but not enough to determine what they were. 5052 might be the Lyon County Highway Dept. but that's just a guess. Traffic on one of the groups sounded like maybe it was a school district. Like I said, not enough traffic to accurately identify them.