Live Scanner feeds on the internet and the law, questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxx

There is no mention of the Privacy Act? Based on the above quote it is a clear violation to retransmit police transmissions in Canada.Mark

Well of course there's no reference to the Privacy Act, because the quote above is from the Radio Communications Act. Canadian Acts of Parliment are unique unto themselves. One Act doesn't pass judgement, or refer to another Act, or the Canadian Charter itself.

To make an argument, it's very easy to cherry pick from small sections of law to make a point, with complete disregard to what may be included from several other Canadian Acts, or even the Charter of Rights itself.

To look at ALL the information and come to a "reasonable" conclusion is the job of judges.

There does not seem to be any evidence to this point that internet streaming is illegal, or even regulated at all for that matter. Maybe in the future it will, but it clearly is not at the moment.

A page or so back JPM-ARG posted the reference to the Radio Communications Act. Did you see the date? 1985. Do you really think an Act drawn up 25 years ago intended to address the internet? Of course not. It was intended to address "over the air transmissions." As mentioned, at some point internet streaming may be addressed seriously, but it has not been yet.

I suspect if we keep this thread going, we're just going to keep going around and around and around in circles.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

markab

Only one breech required

To make an argument, it's very easy to cherry pick from small sections of law to make a point, with complete disregard to what may be included from several other Canadian Acts, or even the Charter of Rights itself.

Hi Lexxx,
My assumption is if someone breaks a Canadian law, regardless of what Act it falls under it is still in breech of the law. If I rob a bank I've committed an offence under the criminal code of Canada. There is of course no reference to this action under the Radio Communication Act but it is none the less a criminal offence. I believe different facets of law -Acts, codes, etc- are designed to compliment each other. In other words they work in tandem with each other to determine guilt. I do agree however that the Radio Communication Act could do with an overhaul.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.