LMRN General Discussion

msj23195

I've been trying to keep an eye on things from the dispatch center perspective in Windsor. We have heard a grand total of 0 noise about the new system, just that "it's coming". I firmly believe our area is very low on the totem pole, and both our FleetNet sites are going to be active for the foreseeable future.

gary123

COVID has slowed some of the migration down. Also a hardware shortage is reported to be slowing things as well.

To open a can of worms :). I dont know why UCMs were not just installed in the existing radios. That would have provided encryption and the remaining funds could have been used to upgrade/repair the existing infrastructure. A phased conversion for EMS from analog to P25 could also be done by upgrading OPP units from XTL/Spectras to APX and the XTL/Spectras could be transferred to EMS.

Actually I do know or suspect that $$$ and sales pressure and other factors along with some lack of understanding on radio systems at critical positions were involved. Either way we have what we have. Once the ball starts to roll it should progress rapidly.

gary123

For the system activity seen on FleetNet Phase I TGs would have been fine. I think someone got sold on a whole new system with new features etc and that's what they went with. No one seems to have mentioned that APX hardware would have been totally compatible with the existing FleetNet system.

This is just an intellectual thing to talk about I am not suggesting any ulterior motives. I'm just speculating on what might have been cheaper and just as effective options. The reality is its coming and like many here I am almost eagerly waiting to see whats in the box :)

gary123

True mike. The system Is EOL and some of the hardware is no longer manufactured. This situation would get worse over time. I guess I'm just wishing for something that was a bit more friendly with the hardware I have. LOL

Diddley

Apparently, from what a 'little birdie' told me, this transition is NOT going as planned. Lots of issues are popping up, with some agencies ending up with dud radios out of the box. It has been an absolute *bleep* show so far from what I was told. The MOH patch channels linked to the hospitals are nowhere near ready for the new transition either...

Stay tuned, as someone I know who works 'on the inside' is keeping me informed on all the latest developments...

gary123

Thanks for the update.

It might also be related to the CPS/Firmware issues that are plaguing the APX line. Oh and don't forget the absolutely messed up default audio settings. Two identical radios: one sounds like crap and the other is okay. Ask your contact about the DVRS levels if you want to see him break down and cry. Really annoy him and have them run the air conditioner or drive with the windows down that low level noise renders the radio audio useless.

I have heard that there is also a lot of "it's our show" attitude and not wanting to listen to people who have been there, done that.

On the plus side, each day that passes is another day we have for monitoring.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Apparently, from what a 'little birdie' told me, this transition is NOT going as planned. Lots of issues are popping up, with some agencies ending up with dud radios out of the box. It has been an absolute *bleep* show so far from what I was told. The MOH patch channels linked to the hospitals are nowhere near ready for the new transition either...

Stay tuned, as someone I know who works 'on the inside' is keeping me informed on all the latest developments...

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised things are not going according to plan. Regardless, it's a big project that's going to take a while. Plus with the pandemic going on, that might also delay things.

meshif

Hey guys, long time lurker and infrequent poster.

I've been monitoring LMRN off and on for a couple months and for the longest time I could park my SDR on the 142MHz control channel for the Windsor or Essex tower and it would sit there all day. Over the last week or so, the Windsor tower has been working like normal, but when I tune to the Essex control channel (142.6650) I get a good signal for a second or so then it switches over to 856.55625MHz and I get 0 signal.

I'm running an RTLSDR with a NooElec Flamingo FM stop filter and a LorNA on the hardware side, and Unitrunker 2.1(with chase and discover disabled and dwell set to 1500ms) on the software side. I haven't updated Unitrunker or made any other changes since I started having this issue. I don't think my antenna is causing a problem as it works fine for the Windsor P25 system and MPSCS, both in the 850 MHz area.

@Forts and/or @mciupa: I could probably stand on my balcony and see both of you. Have either of you noticed anything like this from the Essex tower?

mciupa

Forts and/or mciupa: I could probably stand on my balcony and see both of you. Have either of you noticed anything like this from the Essex tower?

I don't live in the area and can't assist. Forts and other people in SW Ontario may be of assistance.

mciupa

I'm also a forum lurker by necessity. I moderate the Canadian Forums and I do database updates.

Keep checking this thread as there are some dedicated people listening down your way. They should chime in throughout the day.