Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) - Master Thread

avprerunners

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to listen to the system on an sds-100. Only traffic I hear in North County (Agua Dulce) is Sheriff Aero. Do I need any upgrade like "DMR" for this radio to work? Aero traffic is not to often and usually very brief. Not hearing any LACoFD traffic. Appreciate any guidance.
I'm on a SDS-200. you shouldnt need dmr as RICS is P25. I'm in The Antelope Valley and the only thing i'm getting for LACoFD on RICS is "admin" as for sheriff ive been only getting Aero aswell. alodt of the Sheriff stuff is encrypted now. I do seem to be geting Palmdale/Lancaster dispatch on analog still but all metro and L-Tac has gone to RICS it seems and looks to be encrypted. scanning LACo Sheriff is gonna kinda suck now

Last edited:

patin

I'm on a SDS-200. you shouldnt need dmr as RICS is P25. I'm in The Antelope Valley and the only thing i'm getting for LACoFD on RICS is "admin" as for sheriff ive been only getting Aero aswell. alodt of the Sheriff stuff is encrypted now. I do seem to be geting Palmdale/Lancaster dispatch on analog still but all metro and L-Tac has gone to RICS it seems and looks to be encrypted. scanning LACo Sheriff is gonna kinda suck now
LACO FIRE BLUE 8 on RICS is very active on the SOUTH 700 / 800 on my APX7000
BUT my UNIDEN 436 really don't pick it up even sitting side by side
Seems UNIDEN gonna be hit and miss on LA-RICS

avprerunners

Premium Subscriber
I'm scanning RICS on ANF NORTH 700 (Hauser Peak) as I have direct LOS to the tower and its like 5 miles away. I get Analog traffic for Blue 8 - Countywide Dispatch with no problems at all. but yeah I'm not getting anything other then "Admin" on RICS. I'm wondering if the different sites transmit different things?

cneuman

I think there are a couple things going on there. Location is different as you are south. Also SDS is a different radio with I/Q demod. "Should" work better on a simulcast system than the 436. It would be interesting to put an SDS on the desk next to the 7000 and see if it does. Nice radio you have there!

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Use a Moto APX or a Unication G5 and you will never have any issues with LA-RICS Phase II TDMA System

Try and stay away from those Uniden Scanners. They just do not work right and there is no firmware updates to those radios anymore.

pewpew45

Keep in mind that unless someone on the system has a specific TG on their radio the system will not willy nilly broadcast that Tg traffic. So say you're trying to listen to Fire admin and you're listening on the south cell; Unless someone has their system radio on admin on south cell that traffic will not appear. Someone has to be affiliated to the specific cell for traffic to be heard by scanners, pagers, etc. Hope that makes sense...

epn440

I am trying to listen to the system on an sds-100. Only traffic I hear in North County (Agua Dulce) is Sheriff Aero. Do I need any upgrade like "DMR" for this radio to work? Aero traffic is not to often and usually very brief. Not hearing any LACoFD traffic. Appreciate any guidance.
No need for DMR there is not much traffic on the new system. Aero Palmdale., Lancaster Ltacs, and Metro0., as well as the detective channel dispatch channels haven't been moved also not hearing fire admin anymore on ANF north or Desert 700 LARICS.

patin

I EMAILED LACO FIRE COMMUNICATIONS
THEIR RESPONSE RE LA-RICS

Hello Robert,

LACoFD is not going to the digital LA-RICS system for daily operations. We currently only utilize it for logistics and special events.

We will be utilizing the new analog conventional radio system for our daily emergency operations.

Thanks for reaching out!

--

Field Communications Unit

Los Angeles County Fire Department

1320 N Eastern Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90063

323-881-6137

Engine104

Member since 2005
Wow. That is unexpected news.. I'm glad to hear it. I wonder what the details are of the new analog conventional radio system for our daily emergency operations? I don't think it is in the RRDB?

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
The storms caused quite a bit of issues in the north. Hauser Peak was down, which is a prime coverage site for the north.

Admin is and will always be in the clear.

Just a fallback due to the Hauser Peak issues that have since been resolved. LACoFD is never going to the LARICS digital trunked system for daily ops.

LACoFD isn't going to the trunked system.

New CAD is a several years out.. Hopefully.

The trunked TG "LAC DISPATCH" will exist after Blue 8 (470.5375) is discontinued.

The TG’s have been in use for about a year for non emergency operations/special events.
Not really unexpected.. ;)

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I EMAILED LACO FIRE COMMUNICATIONS
THEIR RESPONSE RE LA-RICS

Hello Robert,

LACoFD is not going to the digital LA-RICS system for daily operations. We currently only utilize it for logistics and special events.

We will be utilizing the new analog conventional radio system for our daily emergency operations.

Thanks for reaching out!

--

Field Communications Unit

Los Angeles County Fire Department

1320 N Eastern Avenue

Los Angeles, CA 90063

323-881-6137
I can absolutely say this is temporary for right now. Nothing ever stays the same and decisions change as time goes on. Like I said they did not build out this multi million dollar system to stay on their conventional frequencies. I am not complaining about it as it still works but I can guarantee that they will move over to this LA-RICS system in time. Its a slow process just like LASO switched over to their L-TAC's to LA-RICS. If they has issues they will revert back out to their conventionals if they have communication issues. Then they will go back to the drawing board until they get it right in time. Most likely this will be a slow switch over that could take another couple of years or so. It will happen for sure. This cities and counties have all the time in the world to get it right.

Also, keep in mind that they already have allocated their talkgroup ID's for LACOFD. Its going to happen. Its already been allocated for their fleetmap

Engine104

Member since 2005
I don't know... Moving to a yet unused set of frequencies with no mention of their intention of moving to LA-RICS? Sounds like a long term decision to me, but, right never say never. Time will tell.