Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

boatbod

Thanks for the update. Good to see these setups established to make communications better between agencies.

Better coordination and communications are needed during incidents on and around the Bay Bridge. I only heard QA on Marine Tac 2 during the incident. Anne Arundel used their talkgroup "Juliet". I did hear the NRP dispatcher on Area 3 advising that QA would be using Marine Tac 2 but not sure if they did switchover or not. The incident was handled very quickly so it will be interesting to see if in the future if during longer term incidents if Queen Anne, Anne Arundel, NRP, MDTA, & MSP all decide to use the same channel during these incidents.

We're trying to get the USCG on those channels too, but the more agencies, the bigger the challenge!

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update. Good to see these setups established to make communications better between agencies.

Better coordination and communications are needed during incidents on and around the Bay Bridge. I only heard QA on Marine Tac 2 during the incident. Anne Arundel used their talkgroup "Juliet". I did hear the NRP dispatcher on Area 3 advising that QA would be using Marine Tac 2 but not sure if they did switchover or not. The incident was handled very quickly so it will be interesting to see if in the future if during longer term incidents if Queen Anne, Anne Arundel, NRP, MDTA, & MSP all decide to use the same channel during these incidents.

Another Water Rescue at the Bay Bridge Today. MSP Aviation, Queen Anne, Annapolis Fireboat, NRP Officers, NRP Dispatchers, and Queen Anne's Comm Center all operating on Marine Tac 2.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I don't monitor DLLR PD (8120) or Maryland Capitol Police Baltimore Ops (7853) but have noticed on Unitrunker that DLLR PD appears to not use their talkgroup anymore and now operates on MCP Balt Ops for primary communications.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Just Heard a tone and voice mention Dispatch to Station 2 on 12360.
Assume like you posted this is the new County Fire Dispatch?
I just caught up on my recordings..
I caught part of the same call you mentioned. It sounded like...
Cecil dispatch telling Station 2 to disregard the Dispatch/Call.

I'm leaning this way for the primary EMS/Fire TG's (It's how I tagged them in my programing. For now :sneaky:)
Code:
EMS/Fire Response 12201
Ops 2 12202
Ops 3 12203
Ops 4 12204
Ops 5 12205
Ops 6 12206
EMS Ops 12207
Med8/Elkton Union Hospital 12208
Med4/Harford Memorial Hospital 12209
Fire Police 12210
FD/PD? 12211
EMS/Fire Dispatch 12360
Is everybody ready? :D It's so exciting!!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Expect heavy usage of the MD TACs at the Jellyfish Festival this weekend in OC.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
All i seem to be getting is MSP and local LEO's .. Nothing from the Fire Side
To be honest, there isn't much to "hear", so far just key ups, silence and test counts, an occasional ID is confirmed by reading back the number.. No mentions of actual CH names yet.. Just waiting for it go live.. Then you'll be hearing them!! ;)
Mostly using DSD+ to get a grip on things... (You would pretty much have to Avoid/LO all other active TG's in order to catch anything)
FiRST Unknown Talkgroups(y)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Notes from the RCB Meeting earlier this week:

New Primary User: DHS
- Not day-to-day usage
- No dispatch operations
- 4 TGs enabled statewide
- 600 TDMA subscribers
- Important since their home system does not have coverage in the OC area

(notes: FIRST has mostly regional TGs, although some user groups have statewide TGs, like Comptroller)

New Primary User: CPB
- 5 TGs: 1 statewide, 4 regional (Baltimore)
- 100 TDMA subscribers
- Also wants TG sharing w/ MSP, MdTA, DHS, FBI, DNR, TSA, USCG, Air Marshals

(notes: Most Baltimore City subscribers are not TDMA compatible thus rarely use the system. Exceptions are the command bus and Foxtrot units.)

New Interop User: USPP
- 1000 TDMA radios
- TG sharing with MSP, MdTA, and other agencies
- Important for aviation / Eagle helos

New Interop User: Chester Co. PA
- Home system Harris TDMA
- Interops primarily with Cecil Co.
- 204 portable TDMA / 68 mobile TDMA subscribers
- Currently uses C-Comm system for interoperability (Southeastern PA Task Group)

Cecil Co looking at crosslinks for interoperability with New Castle Co DE

DE is slowly beginning to understand that their (janky) FDMA subscribers are a real problem when operating on FIRST, hogging 3 resources. New DE radios will be TDMA capable; reflashing existing radios will take several years

DE helos are TDMA

Newark radios are almost all TDMA

Cecil cutover this coming Thursday, 6am

Ethernet backhaul will be required for system 7.20; some local jurisdictions face a sizable bill. Discussion about who is responsible for the cost. Localities have incompatible equipment that enables local functions that are not directly part of the FIRST system, but will need to be upgraded to work with FIRST.

11 new RF sites are planned to fill in coverage "holes;" planning to fund 3 per year for the next few years
- Tower Road / Camp David ASR
- Cherrytown Chicken ASR (tower lease just signed, Carroll to provide backhaul)
- Table Rock ASR (site cleared, foundation set. Complete by end of year.)
- New Germany State Park ASR (prob use existing site)
- Crisfield ASR (going on county tower at Crisfield VFD)
- Nice Bridge ASR should be complete by October
- TV Hill ASR (fill in dead spot near Falls Road Light Rail) . MTA funds, April-May 2020 timframe
- Cecilton ASR (equipment in place, not enabled - maybe Thursday?)

System 7.18 upgrade March-June 2020

Syste 7.20 upgrade 2H2021, depending on ethernet upgrade status

CEN upgrade contiuing

Cecil move to Zone 3 complete with JFK and North East sites finishing migration

Cecil 2-channel upgrade in place to support GPS

Cecil LEOs - some users already on system; crosslinks between existing Cecil system to FIRST

Montgomery County simulcast cell being redesigned

OC ASR antenna relocation; want to raise transmit antenna, and move to a different tower leg to improve coverage in northwest Worcester. Current height is only 1/2 way up tower, will need to coordinate with Region 42 and new FCC license

Garrett County up and running, but the county needs to buy new radios; state loaning consolettes to enable usage

MTA 2ch upgrade to support Purple line. Discussion about the legality of using 700Mhz freqs for non-public safety users. Dorc hestewr has been denied the use for their MTA funded bus system. MTA Police will use 700; busses use 800Mhz, taken from port operations

McHenry Barrack transition on August 7th

Mark

Premium Subscriber
USPP would be nice addition if not all encrypted.
I think Delaware gonna get new radios for Fire companies that border Cecil..

Who is CPB? Or is that CBP? :)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
USPP would be nice addition if not all encrypted.
I think Delaware gonna get new radios for Fire companies that border Cecil..

Who is CPB? Or is that CBP? :)
Yup, typo: Customs and Border Protection aka CBP.

I would imagine that USPP would operate in the clear on MSP, MdTA and other channels that are not normally encrypted.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Yup, typo: Customs and Border Protection aka CBP.

I would imagine that USPP would operate in the clear on MSP, MdTA and other channels that are not normally encrypted.

Excellent on USPP as their choppers don't get out this way often
but nice addition for possible Statewide and border areas of the Potomac.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Another Water Rescue at the Bay Bridge Today. MSP Aviation, Queen Anne, Annapolis Fireboat, NRP Officers, NRP Dispatchers, and Queen Anne's Comm Center all operating on Marine Tac 2.
Calls originating from AA Co are still using Juliette when QAC units are running mutual aid on water rescues. I wonder if the QAC EOC either patches one of their Tacs, or operates directly on the Marine TAC channel? I'm assuming that AA EOC cannot talk directly on the Marine TACs - not sure about this.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
CI wonder if the QAC EOC either patches one of their Tacs, or operates directly on the Marine TAC channel?

It seemed like they were active on the Marine Tac-2 as was most units. I have noticed it patched sometimes to QA Tac-3 too.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
They did fund dispatch console(s) however - $823K. I guess they are still hoping for grant money for the subscribers.
Yeah I saw that. I wondered if that was more for the Text to 911 features but also could be for FiRST. I believe they are calling it NextGen for the texting feature.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think the Emergency Numbers Board funds text-to-911 with grants, especially to small jurisdictions. I am thinking it's for dispatch consoles; in the RCB meeting they mentioned that the state was "loaning" the county consolettes to operate on FIRST. Perhaps they are a bridge until the new equipment is installed.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What’s the point of consoles with no subscriber units...
They have a few radios already, apparently to interoperate with MSP? I guess their dispatch center would like to talk as well. Doesn't seem to be a well planned rollout on the county side.