Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any luck pinning down the location of SHA tg 7276?
IDK, but the database entries for District 6 are probably incorrect. The "Cumberland Shop" and the "LaVale Shop" (LaVale shop # is 62) are the same facility, so one of those TGs is IDed / labelled improperly. Possibilities for 7276 would be Hagerstown Shop 65, Keysers Ridge Shop 67, Hancock Shop, Frostburg Shop, Oakland Shop 66. There are no other shops in District 6.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
^^^^ Also, there are probably Special Events TGs similar to what is seen in other SHA districts. The typical pattern has them showing up at the end of the TG range for the district. Re: the Cumberland Shop TG, there is no "Cumberland Shop" - it's actually the LaVale Shop - but the "Cumberland Shop TG" *might* be the District 6 District Office. Maybe.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
774.78125 seems to be a strapped data channel. There is activity on the 12.khz channel 01-2044, with a Continue from various units in the 212xxxx,213xxxx,214xxxx, 215xxxx RID ranges several times a minute, with an occasional 254xxxx (console?) Service type is Dat. The TDMA slots are silent.

BM82557

^^^^ Also, there are probably Special Events TGs similar to what is seen in other SHA districts. The typical pattern has them showing up at the end of the TG range for the district. Re: the Cumberland Shop TG, there is no "Cumberland Shop" - it's actually the LaVale Shop - but the "Cumberland Shop TG" *might* be the District 6 District Office. Maybe.

I'll try to narrow it down the next time there is a weather event.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Noticed some UNID Patches 12052019.PNGpatches in the 83xx range this evening on the AA site.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Last night there was a lot of bus / driver talk on 8335 - it does not sound like MTA radio shop type traffic.

8335 is an "interesting" talkgroup. Not sure of what to best call it. Long story short, MTA Comms Center uses this talkgroup to call/alert buses. They often call it a "Security Call". They ask the bus driver their ID, Badge #, Bus #, Location "Block", Camera/Radio Status, etc.

Not sure if I have ever heard a bus contact the comms center on this talkgroup. It is usually/always the Comms Center contacting buses.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I attended the RCB meeting today - it's nice to be able to set your own work schedule ;)

Notes in roughly meeting order.

New applications:

1. Chesapeake College is requesting to become a Primary User (has TGs on the system.) They have four TDMA radios; two at the main campus, and two at the Cambridge campus. They requested 1 TG.
Approved.

2. Anne Arundel County is requesting 12 TGs to use for emergency backup for critical users / First Responders - like when their system went down last month. St. Mary's County already has a similar request to have backup for their troublesome system. Talk about Erlangs - an Erlang is a telecom term to quantify load. One Erlang equates to a fully utilized voice channel. The AA site's normal loading is 1.5 Erlangs; max observed load is 3 Erlangs, so there appears to be plenty of channel capacity to support AACo if their site goes down again. Discussion about creating a special Zone for counties to use if they experience a system failure on their home system - looks like this idea will move forward after construction of Zone 5 is complete.
Approved.

Discussion about bonks in Kent County during a rash of brush fires and the Ironman Run in Dorchester. Probably due multiple keyups during the incidents, and possible FDMA channel hogging by Delaware mutual aid responders. There were 7 total; way below spec of 2,000+ allowed per the contract with Motorola. Avg wait to rekey was 1.5 seconds, aka NBD. Sussex County has reportedly reflashed all their radios to TDMA with the assistance of Motorola (by providing discounts to make it happen.) The rest of Delaware plans to accelerate its timeframe to convert to its new system by a year, in part to address the TDMA issue when in Maryland. It looks like DSP will probably be ENC, based on some comments - totally unofficial.

Table Rock ASR (Garrett County) site is still awaiting funding by SHA. Should start construction beginning next year.

Phase 5 News:
Ethernet layer 3 backhaul ring that links all the Zone 5 counties to be complete July 2020. Intra-county network rings a bit farther along. Completion of the layer 3 ring is driving the schedule. Coverage testing to begin in August 2020. Unsure of the order of the counties coming online. Target date for Zone 5 activation December 2020.

Nice Bridge ASR physical tower construction completed 12/2/2019. Equipment installation December 2019, antenna install January 2020.

Persimmon Tree shelter install should be happening now (I didn't know there was even a tower.)

ICC tower should be under / finished construction in April 2020.

T1 to Ethernet conversion. Plan to go before the Board of Public Works next week. $20M. 33 new M/W sites.

Coverage enhancement sites:

The state plans to fund several new sites per fiscal year to fill in areas where coverage is marginal.

Cherrytown Chicken ASR (Carroll County) (Motorola doesn't like this name): Should be online by Summer 2020.

Tower Road ASR (Frederick County) Construction of this site has been prioritized because of the G7 Summit next summer. It will be installed on an existing tower that already carries FIRST backhaul, and the Frederick County system. [I still think they need a site in eastern Frederick County]

Crisfield ASR (Somerset County) This site is nearing completion - like very soon (as far as being on the air.) The guts are installed temporarily in the adjacent VFD building, and a new elevated shelter will start construction shortly. The area floods as one should expect; the highest recorded water level was five feet, and the shelter will be elevated four feet (ummmm?) That point was mentioned, and the project manager said the interior racks will be two feet off the floor, so.... Anyway, each foot you elevate, the construction cost square (or something expensive factor like that.) Fiber is nearby.

Cecilton ASR (Cecil County) The antenna system will be changed to omni, and will improve coverage in northern Kent County.

Ocean City ASR (Worcester County) The antenna remapping was predicated on load studies, and the removal of old DNR antennas. However, even when removing the old antennas, the tower would still need $150K in structural upgrades to move FIRST antennas, and the performance improvement would be minimal. Thus the project is on hold. They are looking for a new enhancement site in West Ocean City site, so the decision atm is to invest the $150K into the future site.

The (boring) CEN upgrade is still in progress.

System software 7.18 is due to start installation in March 2020, complete in May-June. System partners need to freeze (suspend upgrades) during this timeframe so a valid snapshot can be obtained. Literally hundreds of consoles will need new software.

A coverage reporting tool will be released to system managers next week. This will help to format user reports of system and coverage complaints / issues. [Hopefully it will be easy / concise enough so that users will actually use it.]

Garrett County migration. New consoles are ordered for their EOC. Working with Network Maryland to provide fiber to the EOC. The EOC won't go live on FIRST until after the 7.18 upgrade. The fire departments got a FEMA grant for a mobile and one portable for per unit, with a few more portables. The Sheriff's department received a similar grant for equipment. There is already some operations on FIRST; one VFD is using their FIRST radios because their local legacy repeater failed.

The Ops groups teased new technology that can be incorporated into FIRST. Will brief at the March RCB meeting.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
2. Anne Arundel County is requesting 12 TGs to use for emergency backup for critical users / First Responders - like when their system went down last month. St. Mary's County already has a similar request to have backup for their troublesome system. Talk about Erlangs - an Erlang is a telecom term to quantify load. One Erlang equates to a fully utilized voice channel. The AA site's normal loading is 1.5 Erlangs; max observed load is 3 Erlangs, so there appears to be plenty of channel capacity to support AACo if their site goes down again. Discussion about creating a special Zone for counties to use if they experience a system failure on their home system - looks like this idea will move forward after construction of Zone 5 is complete.
Approved.

Thanks for always providing us updates!

Interesting plan for Anne Arundel. Smart idea to have a back up system. Hopefully more counties follow in the future.

LordDonkey

Bittinger Fire Department received the new radios for Garrett County yesterday. 66 mobiles and 118 portables. They posted pictures on their Facebook page. Lots of boxes!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that a voice pool frequency on the Anne Arundel site *seemed* to be strapped, transmitting near constant data to various RIDs. I also noticed a similar situation on the Baltimore site. It *appears* that this behavior is related to OTAR / OTAP of subscriber radios.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I also have a lot of hits on 7546, Hard to tell who it actually is - maybe a Rangers channel? Simulcast of Area 3? I'll have to put it back into the monitored TG rotation. Are people hearing 3xx series units on it?

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I also have a lot of hits on 7546, Hard to tell who it actually is - maybe a Rangers channel? Simulcast of Area 3? I'll have to put it back into the monitored TG rotation. Are people hearing 3xx series units on it?

Since the patch with 7501 was taken down, I have noticed zero activity on it. 7546 might be the future "Area 4" (Charles, Calvert, St. Mary's).

atlong

Database Admin
Been hearing more than usual full encrypted activity on TG 13596 from Washington County FIRST sites. I'm guessing it is most likely going to be part of Washington County law enforcement or HPD? I will try to keep an eye on the unit numbers to better isolate it. Any insights?
(Unfortunately I am unable to receive the county TRS here, so I can't match up the radio activity on both systems at the same time.)