Maryland FIRST 700mhz TRS

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been bouncing around monitoring State of Delaware and FIRST when I came across 7173 on the Cecil Simulcast. I picked up UIDs of 2117426 and 2118258 which are probably MDTA. I wonder if this is another maintenance channel for snow plow operations.

According to previous listeners, 2117246 is JFK Maintenance Base or one of the units there, and 2118258 was last seen as MDTA 420, which operates on the JFK Highway. So, that talkgroups is almost certainly JFK Highway maintenance related.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
It's used pretty much 365 days a year for/by road crews on JFK, not just snow plows, If that's what you heard.. Just don't know it's proper designation for submission to the db. TG's 7170-7180 all seem to have a similar function utilized by MDTA Road Crews throughout the state.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
MD BPW Meeting 1/29/20

MDOT Maryland Transit Administration Description: Fifty-eight Motorola APX4500 mobile radios, 62 Motorola APX4000 portable radios, and 10 APX8500 Consolettes are required for the MDOT MTA’s bus maintenance department and new Metro SubwayLink railcars & train controls as a part of MDOT MTA’s radio 700 MHz migration; J05P0600032.

MDOT Maryland Transit Administration Description: Sixty-five Motorola APX8500 mobile radios for the MDOT MTA’s Light RailLink vehicle fleet as a part of MDOT MTA’s radio 700 MHz migration.

LordDonkey

Seeing new RIDs in the 24202xx range today on Garrett's Fire/EMS Special Ops TGs. The audio was encrypted so I don't know what was said. I'm thinking the Special Ops TGs may have encryption since the same RID was not granted an encrypted circuit on the normal ops channels. It seems like they just held the PTT button because nothing was said while they were in the clear.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Seeing new RIDs in the 24202xx range today on Garrett's Fire/EMS Special Ops TGs. The audio was encrypted so I don't know what was said. I'm thinking the Special Ops TGs may have encryption since the same RID was not granted an encrypted circuit on the normal ops channels. It seems like they just held the PTT button because nothing was said while they were in the clear.
Might be a PIO, Admin, or investigator - they are the usual customers of encryption on the fire side.

LordDonkey

It seems like they were cycling through all the Fire/EMS Tac talkgroups and some of the Sheriff Tac talkgroups. I could see in SDRTrunk where they were switching to different TGs. So far I've seen 11 new radio IDs. Could it be a tech getting the new radios ready to deploy? I have yet to hear or see any of the 183 new radios that Bittinger Fire Dept. got through the grant yet.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It seems like they were cycling through all the Fire/EMS Tac talkgroups and some of the Sheriff Tac talkgroups. I could see in SDRTrunk where they were switching to different TGs. So far I've seen 11 new radio IDs. Could it be a tech getting the new radios ready to deploy? I have yet to hear or see any of the 183 new radios that Bittinger Fire Dept. got through the grant yet.
Likely. It would be interesting to see where the radios end up. If they also have LE zones/TGs, sounds like they will be assigned to FIs.

LordDonkey

According the the news article posted by the Communications Office in October: "A mobile radio will be placed in nearly every essential ambulance, firetruck, chase vehicle, and specialized unit in the county to total about 70 radios. Plus, about 10 portable radios will be purchased for each of the fire and rescue departments to be carried by personnel.".

In December, Bittinger VFD received 66 mobiles and 118 portables to "be dispersed out to each volunteer fire and ems department in Garrett County to replace aging radio equipment in every piece of fire and ems apparatus across the county." Hopefully they are getting ready to put the new radios in service.

I'm surprised the Garrett County Roads Department isn't planning on going to FiRST. I guess finding the money in an already limited budget is probably the main reason it hasn't happened yet, or if at all.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
According the the news article posted by the Communications Office in October: "A mobile radio will be placed in nearly every essential ambulance, firetruck, chase vehicle, and specialized unit in the county to total about 70 radios. Plus, about 10 portable radios will be purchased for each of the fire and rescue departments to be carried by personnel.".

In December, Bittinger VFD received 66 mobiles and 118 portables to "be dispersed out to each volunteer fire and ems department in Garrett County to replace aging radio equipment in every piece of fire and ems apparatus across the county." Hopefully they are getting ready to put the new radios in service.

I'm surprised the Garrett County Roads Department isn't planning on going to FiRST. I guess finding the money in an already limited budget is probably the main reason it hasn't happened yet, or if at all.
The subscribers are expensive. The only reason why the VFDs got them was because of a grant; I *think* the Sheriffs got most of their via a grant as well. Roads / PW depts are not First Responders per se, so grants are harder to come by for this class of user. The county doesn't have a huge tax base, so I imagine future buys will be phased in, or *maybe* they can get some retired radios from state agencies as they replace older subscribers.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Are there plans to bring online sites in Montgomery, Charles, and Prince Georges?
By the end of 2020. Maybe. They are building a few new greenfield tower sites, and I believe they are redesigning the backhaul for Southern Md counties.

wa3toy

Hey all,

I've seen official rumors that Maryland is working on a statewide digital TRS termed a 'first responders' net:
700 MHz System

As it says, Motorola was given a notice to proceed back in 2010.. anybody have any idea how far along they are with this project (at least in service region 1A) or any further information?

All but southern MD, PG and Mont. They are still not up.