Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrspotter

Jet noise lover
Three "whitetops" just departed New Castle at 3:45pm EST - heading home after presidential duty. Apologies for the "prop freeze" - I barely got out the door to see them. ;) The two Ospreys did not hang around, taking back off five minutes after arriving a bit after 1pm.

View attachment 151176
View attachment 151177
I find it a bit difficult to get rid of prop freeze without sacrificing detail on the fuselage, especially when closer to the helos. What settings do you normally use?

frank3si

I find it a bit difficult to get rid of prop freeze without sacrificing detail on the fuselage, especially when closer to the helos. What settings do you normally use?

Yes, it's a tremendous challenge. I generally find myself using 1/125, but what you get also depends on the aircraft. I was shooting one of the Delaware State Police/Homeland Security Bell copters last weekend, which landed here as part of New Castle's Good Will Fire Company Open House. This is 1/125 - the main rotors at least have some motion, and tail rotor looks great. With the C-130s around here, I'll go as low as 1/60 - but that's dependent on the panning, and useless shots are unfortunately very common :(

10282023 N1SP DSC00999 2500.jpg

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1707L - HIGH TIDE on 11175 and 8992 with two EAMs.
1800 local Had aircraft broadcast assume EAM on 11175 as not simulcast on the other HF freqs.
Couldn't make out the callsign..
1814 local "Roll Call" calling High Tide on 11175.. no reply yet. Maybe backend of DRIP-62 #164386 in Texas area?
They may have replied via Satcom instead.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
1800 local Had aircraft broadcast assume EAM on 11175 as not simulcast on the other HF freqs.
Couldn't make out the callsign..
1814 local "Roll Call" calling High Tide on 11175.. no reply yet. Maybe backend of DRIP-62 #164386 in Texas area?
They may have replied via Satcom instead.
"Roll Call" again just a bit later on 11175 requesting and authenticating req with High Tide to check out of the Net
as E-6B DRIP-62 now landing back at Tinker..

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
At any time there will generally be an E6 operating from East, West or Central. Many of the messages heard over HF which people call EAMs clearly aren't EAMs (luckily the buffoons in charge haven't extended their interference in other countries affairs to a nuclear level).
Again generally, there will be a message not long before the E6 takes off. One might conclude that these are perhaps Force Directional Messages. Looking at patterns one might also notice similar 30 character messages prior to significant tanker movements.
FOXTROT and SKYKING would probably be more 'interesting' (or worrying!).
Luckily the only very long messages these days can be seen to be exercise related.
I agree with part of it, while looking over info about the subject, apparently Skyking takes precedence over EAMs, which I thought was weird, unless Skyking trnamissions are a form or EAM....

Check out the start of this video, I would have thought EAM over-rides everything else.

There seems to be confusion (at our level) of the subject....

I'm thinking Skyking is considered the platform/mission, and it gets precedence for everything (some references say a 'Skyking' message over-rides an EAM.

This is an interesting read, even though it's from Wikipedia, it does describe different things.

I love how they put a flash-overide key on field phones, obviously not recognized unless the telephone switch is programed it to recognize it.

iu

Thanks
Joel

Mark

Premium Subscriber
With the Bidens at home in Wilmington, I'm surprised there's no tanker doing his orbits overhead in the daylight. Reviewing ADS-B I don't see anything on the way from one of the usual locations, either.
Yeah seems tankers and fighters are tracking more to the Southeast of KILG over South Jersey/Central Del.
Haven't heard the F-16's overhead usually on West side of track in Cecil County as well.. Not very talkative today.
NOBLE-11,12 are up along with tanker WIDE-41 #63-8018 out of Pease. Seems NOBLE-21 coming in later as single ship as well.
Those Shaw F-16's are getting tired mechanically.

frank3si

Yeah seems tankers and fighters are tracking more to the Southeast of KILG over South Jersey/Central Del.
Haven't heard the F-16's overhead usually on West side of track in Cecil County as well.. Not very talkative today.
NOBLE-11,12 are up along with tanker WIDE-41 #63-8018 out of Pease. Seems NOBLE-21 coming in later as single ship as well.
I see now WIDE42 - a KC-135 - has just taken off in New Hampshire. I'm guessing he's on the way here...

BM82557

There won't be any chatter at all when un-crewed platforms are operational for this kind of duty

Tech792

Premium Subscriber
0950- Dyess based C-130J # 07-3170 (Aegis 40) off LaGuardia heading west. Working ZNY Big Flat (133.475).
That Aegis 40 was doing a racetrack pattern over the Hudson River just south of West Point around 3 pm yesterday. I thought it might have been staging for a flyover at the West Point game but the game had already started at noon. Then he landed at LaGuardia.

Status
Not open for further replies.