Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
Saw mention of Oregon in the article I linked and now there is a sort of orbit west of Portland

There is a Fairchild tanker setting up a orbit west of PDX but not sure if this is normal 123rd FS related activity

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Look like it’s normal activity the W570 is showing hot off the coast of Oregon
How about this one

and this one

Like you said - could be normal training activity but seems Langly getting special attention along with DC.

Mark

Premium Subscriber

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Airborne - they just passed overhead my location headed south

Air to air 298.600
COSMIC with ZDC 236.825 says they will be orbiting Langley.
Looks like all nighter coming up.. Thought I heard BRAVE in DC will be replaced by Noble but not sure.
2115 local NOBLE-21 checking in with Potomac Tracon 350.250 will be blocking to 250. A/A sounds like DC ANG 340.250.
Also on NORAD 139.700

Last edited:

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
So much for the no CAP’s at night theory. Guess for whatever reason there’s bigger fish to fry today so to speak.
Yeah listening to STOCK talk to COSMIC - it appears the threat to Langley is above the field not on the field. So maybe a small drone or balloon. Something that would go over the field at low level and cause an incident.

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Exercise or real threat?
Yeah I think the activity is not exercise.....US intelligence must be tracking various threats to military and other facilities. See the recent news reports about bomb threats. Just the sound of the comms - it appears that this CAP process was not previously planned. The fighter to Huntress comms seem realistic as though they have been briefed on threats and are interrogating possible targets.

COSMIC beginning YOYO ops. As defined nicely here

YOYO!

One of the most prevalent missions flown in recent conflicts was Close Air Support, or, CAS. In many of these scenarios, there was little to no threat to fighter aircraft from enemies in the air or on the ground. To boot, some of the on-station times for these sorties were incredibly long, at least by fighter aircraft standards. So it was not uncommon to execute what was referred to as “YOYO ops”, which is a fitting word, both as an acronym, but as a visual representation of the operation. With a 2-ship of fighters, you may have had one tanker above the area of operation. One fighter would be on-station executing CAS, while the other fighter was on the tanker aerial refueling. Then, the two fighters would swap. You can visualize this “yo-yo” over time: one fighter goes up to get gas, the other descends into the fight, and repeat. The term was also fitting because the single fighter was on their own. The flight lead would clear the wingman off to execute YOYO ops, in other words: “2, You’re On Your Own!”

Not sure on the source but it seems valid explanation......https://walkthetalkfoundation.org/yoyo/

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Been listening to all the action on 260.9 with a number of Langley mentions. Also heard some kind of chugging sound on 228.8, sounds a lot like what I've heard in the past on 359.4 at Yorktown NWS.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I think the activity is not exercise.....US intelligence must be tracking various threats to military and other facilities. See the recent news reports about bomb threats. Just the sound of the comms - it appears that this CAP process was not previously planned. The fighter to Huntress comms seem realistic as though they have been briefed on threats and are interrogating possible targets.

While I do not think it is an exercise I disagree with your thought it is related to recent bomb threats, those were ground based threats in Oregon, Texas and Baltimore and this doesn't seem to be protecting any of those areas. Also can't see them activating air support for a ground threat. But you never know, just my worthless opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.