Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2024

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Ron whats with all the DRAGO etc T-38's into Andrews? Big Arlington flyover Saturday?
Don't see anyone in particular on Arlington schedule... Maybe for something else..
In the past (a long time ago) commanders (that were also usually pilots) would take a T-38 that was for their use, to meetings. Sounds stupid, but.... think of it as a charter aircraft on demand for them (they need a certain amount of time flying anyway).

Think SAC (the movie) where the deputy commander of a base takes a plane up to check what was going on with the commanders plane (and got in trouble for it), used a T-38 ( I think,... haven't seen it in awhile).

or they could just practicing or qualifying for lead pilot things, switching out on different legs.

Just a thought.
Thanks
Joel

dmi

Premium Subscriber
From memory: One of them had a reported bird strike and had to land at ADW. I believe the rest flew back to Langley.
Listened to the recording again..

236.550 - 71st FS Langley, VA - DRAGO-51 flight A-A

279.575 - Potomac TRACON - ANC Fly-overs - ATC freq. prior to emergency

349.000 - ADW Tower - (DRAGO-53) .. at 5,500 ft. Bird strike to #1 engine.. maneuvering please clear the area.. Three mile straight-in for RWY 1R

357.100 - 71st FS - Iron Ops JBLE VA Base - DRAGO-51 seven miles out (from KLFI). DRAGO-53 bird strike ADW divert, DRAGO-54 in chase with suspected bird strike both declared emergencies.

Unclear if DRAGO-54 also landed at ADW.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
In the past (a long time ago) commanders (that were also usually pilots) would take a T-38 that was for their use, to meetings. Sounds stupid, but.... think of it as a charter aircraft on demand for them (they need a certain amount of time flying anyway).

Think SAC (the movie) where the deputy commander of a base takes a plane up to check what was going on with the commanders plane (and got in trouble for it), used a T-38 ( I think,... haven't seen it in awhile).

or they could just practicing or qualifying for lead pilot things, switching out on different legs.

Just a thought.
Thanks
Joel
I never hear the USAF do that but have seen single Navy F/18's from Norfolk do that on say a Summer Friday afternoon
in nice wx come up this way and stop at airport and park at Atlantic Aviation as example and visit with family and friends in area
then take it back on a Sunday afternoon....

As for Ospreys saw report they know what happened and talk they are gonna add restrictions flying them
from here on out. Maybe simple speed or transition restriction or no drastic turns. Course they are not gonna reveal those restrictions.
Imagine they will be up flying soon after crew retraining and checking the boxes...
Saw vids a few times from Mildenhall and the USAF guys almost every day fire up one of their CV-22 types just
to keep them fresh.

From NAVAIR today at Pax River NAS..
Maintenance and procedural changes have been implemented to address the materiel failure that allow for a safe return to flight. The U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Air Force will each execute their return to flight plans according to service specific guidelines.

Last edited:

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I never hear the USAF do that but have seen single Navy F/18's from Norfolk do that on say a Summer Friday afternoon
in nice wx come up this way and stop at airport and park at Atlantic Aviation as example and visit with family and friends in area
then take it back on a Sunday afternoon....

As for Ospreys saw report they know what happened and talk they are gonna add restrictions flying them
from here on out. Maybe simple speed or transition restriction or no drastic turns. Course they are not gonna reveal those restrictions.
Imagine they will be up flying soon after crew retraining and checking the boxes...
Saw vids a few times from Mildenhall and the USAF guys almost every day fire up one of their CV-22 types just
to keep them fresh.

From NAVAIR today at Pax River NAS..
Maintenance and procedural changes have been implemented to address the materiel failure that allow for a safe return to flight. The U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and U.S. Air Force will each execute their return to flight plans according to service specific guidelines.
In the Air Force I remember it being kind of common. Aircraft is available, the commander has a meeting in DC, and needs flight time.

for U-2's, B-2s, and I think B-52's (fixed wing aircraft ending in 2?) they use them to help maintain proficiency.

Thanks
Joel

dmi

Premium Subscriber

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the update (y) It looks like the rain won't get to this area until early afternoon tomorrow - do you have a departure time to ATL tomorrow? I'd like to head up and photograph the departure.

11:20 AM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY depart Delaware Air National Guard Base, New Castle, Delaware en route to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11:45 AM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY depart Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania en route to Atlanta, Georgia
1:45 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY arrive Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Atlanta Georgia
7:25 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY depart Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, Atlanta Georgia en route to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania​
9:15 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY depart Philadelphia International Airport, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania en route to Wilmington, Delaware
9:30 PM THE PRESIDENT and THE FIRST LADY arrive in Wilmington, Delaware

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
This evening..

361.300 - "Base Ops CONVOY-4561"

Strong signal so he must have been close when he called base ops.
He landed ADW @ 2020 EST.

CNV4561 US Navy Air Logistics Office Flight Tracking and History - FlightAware

I have this frequency as: 361.300 - Giant Killer W72, W50 Check In/Out (Primary)

Updates appreciated. Thanks!
Was there conversation on 361.3 or did he call and get no answer? If the latter, he might've misdialed the freq.

Years ago, I went down to Seymour Johnson to see the Snowbirds, and a civilian pilot entered the pattern apparently thinking he was at an airport about 10 miles away. Could hear him calling the legs on one scanner (using the other airport's CTAF), while hearing the tower crew shouting at him in vain on Seymour's victor freqs. Interestingly, the guy actually landed at the base apparently not noticing a tarmac full of military displays and thousands of people.

73/Allen (N4JRI)