• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Monitoring Harris Trunked System with Motorola APX8000HXE

KD2UVY

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon all.

I have an APX8000HXE I use for personal use - Primarily Ham & work (simplex, in-building comms). I'm fairly familiar with Non-Affiliate Scanning and have done it multiple times successfully on Motorola manufactured trunked systems (phase I & II). I'm trying to program the radio to NAS a Harris phase II system and cannot for the life of me get it to work. I've scanned and skimmed every forum thread I can find on almost every forum site I can find and have tried every recommended fix, checkbox, adjustment, etc - to no avail. I've quadruple checked the system information across RR & confirmed via SDR the frequencies, WACN, Site ID, bandplan and all other (I believe to be) important information and the radio just sits there laughing at me with each new attempt. I have Moto Proprietary, WUID Validity and NAC Validation all disabled.

Do note: I have yet to setup NAS on a multi-site (cell) system like this. All other systems I have setup already were single site (cell) simulcast, single county systems (Cattaraugus & Chautauqua counties) so the issue might just be something I haven't really had to think about before with those systems compared to this one.

I am attempting to NAS monitor the Genesee/Orleans County Public Safety System - primarily Genesee County.

Am I just a raging idiot and missing a simple step or is there some other complicated issue that I haven't thought of yet?

-Thanks in advance

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Are you sure you entered hex vs decimal in the appropriate fields? Common mistake is to enter site and RFSS as 10 hex.

KD2UVY

Premium Subscriber
Which site are you trying to monitor? I'm a million miles away, but I'm a little suspicious of the Genesee County site NAC of 469.
The Genesee County site. I'm usually too far away to hear the Orleans County site. As for the NAC, thats what was spat out and picked up by my SDR

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Make sure your ASTRO 25 Channel ID table has elements 0 and 1 (FDMA) and 8 and 9 (TDMA) populated with the correct entries.

The NAC for each site was verified ages ago, and tbh doesn't really matter as the APX isn't doing any NAC validation for a Harris site.

KD2UVY

Premium Subscriber
Make sure your ASTRO 25 Channel ID table has elements 0 and 1 (FDMA) and 8 and 9 (TDMA) populated with the correct entries.

The NAC for each site was verified ages ago, and tbh doesn't really matter as the APX isn't doing any NAC validation for a Harris site.
In APX CPS, there is no "0". Only 1-16 so I assumed everything was 1/2 and 9/10 rather than 0/1 and 8/9. Was that an incorrect assumption?

KD2UVY

Premium Subscriber
This is what the SDR picked up and this is the channel ID table and control channels I put in

Attachments

• IMG_7930.JPG
    IMG_7930.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7931.jpg
    IMG_7931.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 77

nikronzo

WUID validity should be checked off and make sure your roaming is set to Smartzone Omnilink. Is the behavior simply no audio but the TGs are still showing up or is literally just stuck on the conv channel and not scanning at all.
Also 8000HXE, how luxurious!!

KD2UVY

Premium Subscriber
WUID validity should be checked off and make sure your roaming is set to Smartzone Omnilink. Is the behavior simply no audio but the TGs are still showing up or is literally just stuck on the conv channel and not scanning at all.
Also 8000HXE, how luxurious!!
There was no activity whatsoever. No talkgroups showing up, nothing.

The issue was resolved as of last night. It was actually a physical issue with my antenna. In the process of programming, when I upload the codeplug when programming a new NAS system, I take the antenna off in the event I mess up and it attempts affiliation. In doing that, I must've bent or twisted it beyond its limits and damaged it. As soon as I tried a new antenna, worked beautifully.

It's always the simple things that complicate the complicated things

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
What coverage option do you have selected for the system for both site and rfss to be editable? Disabled and both are editable or SZ Omni and site is editable?
Disabled allows manual entry. smartzone & omni won't allow to be editable. no changing of talkgroup but everything else was correct. It was starting to sound like a signal issue. I'm glad OP figured it out. Sometimes these stupid things happen that makes you go doh what the hell

Last edited: