Montgomery County PSSM Program update

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I forgot to mention that the Open MHz website behaves itself much better when accessed on my iPhone's Safari browser than it does from my Google laptop. On the phone there is no difference at all from the site's earlier operation, except for the new system's sometimes "broadcasting underwater" audio quality.
Interesting - what misbehavior are you experiencing with your "Google" laptop. I'm using a MacBook Pro with Google Chrome, and I am not experiencing anything I consider to be misbehavior. The muddy / underwater quality is something that is inherent in P25 AMBE2 audio - sometimes it is pristine, but most of the time it just sounds "different." Some of the difference can be attributed to audio / system adjustment, but overall it seems to be sensitive to user technique and field unit / receive site location and conditions. I'll need to try OpenMHz with my iPhone: I'm curious if its audio system design improves the fidelity / quality of speech.

allen5565

what misbehavior are you experiencing with your "Google" laptop.
You caught me. "When I use Google Chrome on my Dell laptop."

The audio is consistent for phone or laptop, I find. The "behaving" comment was in reply to post #476, Villythekid, who asked about, and had screen-grabbed, some wonkiness on that site --blank screens, talkgroup IDs but not alpha tags, for example. I encounter similar such when my crappy, work-issued Dell laptop --HEY! Stop laughing!-- is on Open MHz. Since the cutover, that site behaves differently, loading up all the talkgroups before I get a chance to filter the results, the pop-up filter window not responding --those types of gremlins. After toggling around and clicking randomly it settles down, but it takes appreciably longer to set than it did before the system switched. Those fidgets have not yet popped up when I use my phone, however.

None of which is a complaint! I am tremendously grateful for the efforts of the generous person who's overseeing that MoCo feed --Mocomdcitizen, I think it is? I'm just remarking on the seeming difficulty openmhz appears to have, and Villythekid seems to be having, with some of the devices accessing that site.

Here's a screen-grab from a few moments ago, to illustrate. It's not a bad thing, just different.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-12 181628.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-12 181628.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, I cannot explain why you see tgids, and I see tg labels. Let me pull it up now, as it was working fine this morning.

EDIT: Yup, only tgids right now - perhaps the feed provider is working on his feed.

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed issues on OpenMhz for other systems the past week or so it seems that it is a website issue. On the AA and FiRST systems, I have to keep refreshing the screen for it too load properly.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
I tried listening to both 7V2 - 154.16 (TSQ 156.7) and 7V1 - 150.995 (TSQ 210.7) and tried switching between FM and NFM. Receiver is in Bethesda, MD

It seems to me that they are transmitting in FM -- when I switched to NFM the received audio had a hiss on it. When I switched back to FM, audio sounded more "normal".

I don't have an SDR setup so I can't say for certain even though both RR and the FCC listings show NFM emission designator.

I also agree that the received signal strength is much worse than what they'd been using before the system changes.

Has anyone analyzed the signal on an SDR and can post if it's FM or NFM?

Jay

Hi, so I was playing around with SDR# software, I agree it does sound a lot better in FM than NFM. I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff so if there is anything specific you want me to try with SDR# let me know :)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking at the RRDB entry for M-NCPPC Police - Tac which is associated with tg 6487. This is likely an error since the new MC talk group numbering scheme is divisible by 5. My guess is that it is a typo, and the actual tg is 6480 or 6485. Can anyone confirm?

mocomdcitizen

You caught me. "When I use Google Chrome on my Dell laptop."

The audio is consistent for phone or laptop, I find. The "behaving" comment was in reply to post #476, Villythekid, who asked about, and had screen-grabbed, some wonkiness on that site --blank screens, talkgroup IDs but not alpha tags, for example. I encounter similar such when my crappy, work-issued Dell laptop --HEY! Stop laughing!-- is on Open MHz. Since the cutover, that site behaves differently, loading up all the talkgroups before I get a chance to filter the results, the pop-up filter window not responding --those types of gremlins. After toggling around and clicking randomly it settles down, but it takes appreciably longer to set than it did before the system switched. Those fidgets have not yet popped up when I use my phone, however.

None of which is a complaint! I am tremendously grateful for the efforts of the generous person who's overseeing that MoCo feed --Mocomdcitizen, I think it is? I'm just remarking on the seeming difficulty openmhz appears to have, and Villythekid seems to be having, with some of the devices accessing that site.

Here's a screen-grab from a few moments ago, to illustrate. It's not a bad thing, just different.

I wonder if it's related to me updating the talkgroups on OpenMHz's feeder admin site. I haven't updated the talkgroups since Thursday morning.

I'm also seeing what ThePhotoGuy has seen with other feeds on OpenMHz over the past two weeks or so, which leads me to think it seems to happen randomly across the entire site.

mocomdcitizen

I'm looking at the RRDB entry for M-NCPPC Police - Tac which is associated with tg 6487. This is likely an error since the new MC talk group numbering scheme is divisible by 5. My guess is that it is a typo, and the actual tg is 6480 or 6485. Can anyone confirm?

Looking at the logs for the past couple of days, I can confirm there is a tg6487 being received. Whether if it's actually M-NCPCC Tac, I'm not sure. Last transmission on that tg was today at 3:51pm.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if it's related to me updating the talkgroups on OpenMHz's feeder admin site. I haven't updated the talkgroups since Thursday morning.

I'm also seeing what ThePhotoGuy has seen with other feeds on OpenMHz over the past two weeks or so, which leads me to think it seems to happen randomly across the entire site.
No, it actually seemed to fix itself in the past few days. I did confirm it was the whole website having issues, not just the Montgomery County system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the logs for the past couple of days, I can confirm there is a tg6487 being received. Whether if it's actually M-NCPCC Tac, I'm not sure. Last transmission on that tg was today at 3:51pm.
Very strange that the pattern would be broken so early in the life of this system.

EDIT:

I checked the log that a ran for I few hours yesterday, and noticed that the same RID is using this tg: 2135520, which is in the state range of subscribers.

Last edited:

Mr_Boh

Very strange that the pattern would be broken so early in the life of this system.

EDIT:

I checked the log that a ran for I few hours yesterday, and noticed that the same RID is using this tg: 2135520, which is in the state range of subscribers.

That's what happens when you have to host for other agencies and well past the planning deadline they say things like "uhhh we need x, y, and z and we forgot to tell you" or someone just decided something was so critically important. There's probably more significant to the first two digits in the TGID than the last one, so it was probably to keep with some other pattern the general public is not privy to.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
What are everyone's thoughts on deleting the VHF 7A 7B 7C and removing the ( Future ) part from 7V1 7V2 etc.. in the Database?

I don't have the ability to do this I was just pointing out that it was still there lol

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What are everyone's thoughts on deleting the VHF 7A 7B 7C and removing the ( Future ) part from 7V1 7V2 etc.. in the Database?

I don't have the ability to do this I was just pointing out that it was still there lol
Sure you do. Just go to the county page, hit the Submit tab, and describe the change you want to make. The RR database editors actually make the change. The RRDB page is kept current by info provided by users like you.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Now why would you want to remove those? Those are backup TG in case the main system goes down. Also has anyone been able to catch the MC Sheriff office on there own channels yet? They used to have a child support, Domestic Violence, FuggWarrent, channels. It made for some very interesting listing to at 3 in the morning.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
I was referring to 7A 7B 7C patches from the old system. They are still shown in the VHF section of the database. Then I requested that the ( Future ) Tag be taken off 7V1 7V2. So basically overall it will reflect the new VHF patches and remove the old ones

Montgomery County