Montgomery County PSSM Program update

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Because it was displayed on the KNG2 and My Harris XG100 when montgomery was transmitting..
So are you saying that a channel knob position and zone (and channel name - "7E1" is a channel name) of a subscriber is transmitted over the control channel / or coded into the granted channel's datastream? I didn't know that. I'll have to dig into the TIA documentation.

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
also picking up transmissions on 7H14Inova. Not sure if its montgomery or FFX county as i included FFX in my codeplug and added the INOVA TG's as well.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Yes and Remember that all the 7E1 has the same TG's numbers as 7A1 as well but I heard Montgomery using it like they were on 7A1 but it came up as 7E1 instead..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yes and Remember that all the 7E1 has the same TG's numbers as 7A1 as well but I heard Montgomery using it like they were on 7A1 but it came up as 7E1 instead..
Which is confusing. 7E1 and 7A1 are the same operationally, routed to / monitored by the same dispatch position as it is the same tgid. I just don't know why your radios show 7E1 unless it was entered into your programming on your radios. I'm researching if the zone and channel are included in the OSW or other parameter in the various data streams.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
also picking up transmissions on 7H14Inova. Not sure if its montgomery or FFX county as i included FFX in my codeplug and added the INOVA TG's as well.
The Fairfax system has no channel name "7H14." Their channel names use the MWCOG system ID "4" then a numeric Zone ID, and an alphabetical knob position. The first / home zone identifier appears to be blank - or 0 (zero.) I think, lol.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
LOL true but that is how i did the channel id since it is in the hospital zone line up for montgomery but i entered the ffx system in case they do use it or if its thru an patch from EMRC but then i guess I will find out..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I just confirmed from a reliable source that the system does NOT send zone or channel names over either the control channel or a traffic channel data stream. The "7E1" that you see originates from the programming of your subscriber units - not over the air.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Seems sus that the Chevy Chase Village Police Tac 1 is using tgid 7605, which is in the local government range. Perhaps it actually is primarily used by the village government vs. their police force?

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the Tone out tones in the Moco Wiki are accurate? I’m trying to setup an SDR to monitor for them but seems like they might not be accurate.

the two lists are from 2009 so I expect some changes were probably made in the last 12 years lol.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
A note about the G5 and the new P25 system: it works great, better than the SDS200. The G5 in my cupholder with a stock stubby antenna decoded clearer audio than the SDS200 attached to a roof mount 3dBi low profile antenna. I basically have a knob position set to scan 7A1-7A3. On the east side of DC, the G5 starts to receive at the 197 overpass along US 50.

atlong

Database Admin
A note about the G5 and the new P25 system: it works great, better than the SDS200. The G5 in my cupholder with a stock stubby antenna decoded clearer audio than the SDS200 attached to a roof mount 3dBi low profile antenna. I basically have a knob position set to scan 7A1-7A3. On the east side of DC, the G5 starts to receive at the 197 overpass along US 50.
That's good news and pretty impressive considering most county's P25 Phase II systems are not receivable a few miles outside their own jurisdictional boundaries these days.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering has anyone been able to find out what TG the police ACU aks abandon car unit behind the gaithersburg MVA is using? They were using the old Local Government channel 7 but no idea what they are using now

maus92

Premium Subscriber
That's good news and pretty impressive considering most county's P25 Phase II systems are not receivable a few miles outside their own jurisdictional boundaries these days.
Yes it is. The closest site is Carole Highlands, which is about 12 air miles away.

jeffkraussws

I'm now hearing P25 comms from Corrections and Ride-On Administration on my SDS100, so I guess the P16 system has been abandoned.
I'm in the Rockville/Potomac area.
According to the SDS100, the RSSI for the Montgomery P25 system is -90 to -100 dBm.
I can also reliably receive and listen to Fairfax and Loudoun with RSSI of -115 to -120 dBm.
I can't receive any other trunked systems here.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm now hearing P25 comms from Corrections and Ride-On Administration on my SDS100, so I guess the P16 system has been abandoned.
I'm in the Rockville/Potomac area.
According to the SDS100, the RSSI for the Montgomery P25 system is -90 to -100 dBm.
I can also reliably receive and listen to Fairfax and Loudoun with RSSI of -115 to -120 dBm.
I can't receive any other trunked systems here.
-90 to -100 dBm is certainly usable. The newer simulcast systems tend to use more sites with lower antennas to ensure adequate coverage density, rather than fewer high sites that result in stronger RSSI but more coverage holes.

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
Been listing to the county this morning since 0415 and have not heard any MCPD at all.Nada on MSP,Takoma Park, Park, CCPD just NADA. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I have been using a Harris XG100 all band to monitor the system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It was working fine yesterday afternoon. The OpenMHz feed has police activity currently.

Bjc123

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I can confirm that MCPD is working. The radio traffic yesterday and this morning have been pretty slow. I think it will pick up as the day goes on.