Need Help finding info on a Capacity Plus system in allegheny County PA.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
so, Is it possible for a capacity plus system to only have ONE repeater?
Absolutely. I know of many. I'd still periodically check this frequency and the others on the license to confirm or negate activity from the same TGIDs. The rest channel may switch to a different frequency on the same license. If it remains the same for hours or days then it's most likely the only frequency in use on that system

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
1669227000798.png

sorry for spamming but I just got a group call on the UNK capacity plus system and as I said before the rest channel alternated.

The freq is 464.3875

Attachments

• 1669226943101.png
    1669226943101.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 6

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Ok with everyone's input, I completely reset dsd+ so I'm safe to say that the 3 frequencies belong to the system the admin mentioned. Now I'm going to focus on that beacon frequency.

So after using "D" and tuning to each of the three freqs, they all come up as Cap+ DCC 11? If so, then Advanced probably did convert some (if not all) of their sites in the DB to Cap+.

But just seeing Cap+ and DCC 11 does not necessarily mean that all three freqs are part of the same site. They weren't all part of the same "networked DMR" site in the DB before, so they probably are disparate sites.

Unfortunately, it's going to take some time for you to be able to tell how many freqs are part of a particular site, etc.
Ok with everyone's input, I completely reset

Hello So ive noticed with that beacon channel, I HAVE heard conversations on that channel and the rest seems to alternate between SL 1 and 2 after a conversation.
View attachment 131615

so, Is it possible for a capacity plus system to only have ONE repeater?

Absolutely.

And keep in mind that usually if not always, with Cap+, a particular site may have more than one freq but that additional freq(s) may rarely be used. Remember, with DMR there can be two conversations (two different talkgroups, or a talkgroup and a private call) on the same freq. DMR has two timeslots per freq, so the possibility for two simultaneous tranmissions one freq. If the site is never busy enough to have more than two conversations at once, you'll likely only ever see one frequency being used.

Well I sort of take that back. If one freq has both timeslots active with activity, if there is an additional freq associated with that site it will become the freq with the rest channel.

On an active Cap+ freq/site, you need to watch the main DSDPlus screen for such a notice that states that DSDPlus has determined the LCN for the present frequency you are one. Whenever you see one of those messages (it will stand out from others), you need to make note of that. Because in order to properly trunk a Cap+ site with more than one freq you need to know:

a. freqs
b. LCN associated with each freq
c. color code

Mike

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
There's a chance this may be the only frequency in use on that system if the rest channel keeps alternating from Ch 1 & 2 on the same frequency but if you're no longer seeing data bursts after a period of time, check the other frequencies on the license to see if the rest channel changed

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
Hello one last thing the frequency is Licensed to three different entities, how would I figure out WHICH entity it belongs to? I can debunk Moon TWP SD because im in the south Hills, I think it MAY be the carnegie mellon university that is listed here without talkgroups listed BUT the frequency here isnt listed on the DB entry. Carnegie Mellon University Trunking System, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I will look at the other three frequencies listed.

For Database purposed TG11 was heard today and last nite around 11PM so I dont believe its the PGH glass works because I dont think factory workers work 24/7 plus the location there is WAYYY away from me.

1669227273611.png

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
S1 (first timeslot on current freq being monitored)
S2 (second timeslot on current freq being monitored)
1 | 2 this will be one freq, one LCN
3 | 4 this would be another freq, another LCN
5 | 6 this would be yet another freq and yet another LCN

M

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FYI, for DMR monitoring when using SDRSharp, you should probably set Bandwidth to 8000 or so. And, under the Audio section of SDRSharp you want to make sure and have "Filter Audio" Unchecked.

M

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to my Uniden SDS100 I got the LCN of 0/1

Oops disregard my dumb self didnt read that right

Edit: it found the LCN of 1

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
With these kinds of systems, keep documentation (like a notepad text file). Always helpful. Because until you identify the actual agency and system details, the info is not too useful. And you want to be able to reference some document the next time you listen so that if you happen upon the same frequency(s) in use, you can compare.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Edit: it found the LCN of 1
Worth mentioning with Cap+ systems:
Ch 1 & 2 will always be LCN 1
Ch 3 & 4 = LCN 2
Ch 5 & 6 = LCN 3
Ch 7 & 8 = LCN 4

Basically divide the even numbered channel by 2 and there is your LCN. ConnectPlus (CON+) & Tier 3 trunked systems have a different formula which is a bit more complicated & the LCNs are sometimes much higher numerically. I'll search the forums for it in a bit and if I can locate it I'll post it here. With NXDN trunking, The LCN should match the Ch ID as it appears in DSD+

Last edited:

jeffm77

Update: Only 3 frequencies are constantly sending data,

463.625, 464.7125, 464.8

ALL 3 frequencies, DSD+ says its CAP+ with a color code of 11.

I will wait for someone to speak again and see what comes up
463.625 CC11 is advanced communications, this is the foster road site, north versailles. I am in north versailles, i have not heard activity on it in months now. 464,7125 is also advanced. I am not sure what 464.800 is. I have been monitoring it for months. I caught voice on it maybe 3 times. I get it pretty strong here at home in north versailles. It sends out data like every 2 minutes or so.

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
464.3875 CC5 TG 11, 22 and a few others I have caught. Some sort of well operations. I get it very strong in BethelPark, where I work.
Yeah I live in bethel park but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say so but yeah that 464.8 frequency is extremely strong here. What I'm suspecting is two different systems but I'm not completely sure

jeffm77

Yeah I live in bethel park but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to say so but yeah that 464.8 frequency is extremely strong here. What I'm suspecting is two different systems but I'm not completely sure
According to the FCC database, 464.800 is licensed to UPMC Presby Hospital and mobile radio service. But mobile radio service does not have a DMR emission designator on any of their frequencies. Presby hospital does have DMR emission designator though, and it makes sense to me that 464.800 belongs to them only because it is on their FCC license and 461.625, which is their hospital security frequency. So I am thinking 464.800 is some sort of back up channel for them or maybe even a maintenance frequency?