Nelson County, VA Police & EMS Go Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

thstaff

Premium Subscriber
Mark, I made discussion of satellite or "shadow" transmitters in a meeting I had with them last week. From the looks I could tell that was never discussed as a solution. They are "almost" there, but those pockets where it's weak are significant. To complicate it, Wintergreen went narrowband analog a few years back, but not digital. So now you literally have two different formats out there. Yes, bridges and relays can help that, but now they are isolated except for the digital portables they carry at Wintergreen. And that's not enough in a county with peaks from 1000 to nearly 4000' scattered around.

My understanding there is a MW in Massies Mill that goes back to Lovingston. It's not currently used, but is there. That could be used to get back to the main system or another site.

I know of one instance where it created a severe delayed response, which is going to be long out here in the boondocks anyway!

Tommy

vinnytazjr

159.15 freq for the Nelson

Hi I need some help with Nelson county va. I have the 159.15 and 200 but it is so bad.Voices under water distorted, The Virginia State Police is the same. I get Nelson county va EMTs and FIRE all good. Is there something i can do to get the voices better ?

thstaff

Premium Subscriber
Vinny,

Unfortunately the new system in Nelson leaves much to be desired. As you can read in earlier comments in this thread, it's problematic and hasn't gotten much better. There are still many weak areas in the county. Essentially they didn't build enough remote sites to adequately cover the dead zones.

T

gcgrotz

Hi I need some help with Nelson county va. I have the 159.15 and 200 but it is so bad.Voices under water distorted, The Virginia State Police is the same. I get Nelson county va EMTs and FIRE all good. Is there something i can do to get the voices better ?

Hi Vinny, welcome to Central VA! I'm gonna just ask the obvious question: first,are you using a digital capable scanner and second, didn't Nelson go MOTO Trbo in which case your scanner won't receive anything but noise...

The old FM analog system was tweaked over the years with multiple sites that provided good coverage but not much capacity.

VSP should not be a problem in Nelson. Be sure you have Bearden and High Peak programmed. Check the database pages. It can be tricky.

gcgrotz

Yes I meant Hightop. NW of Lovingston.

High Peak is another name for Tobacco Row in Amherst Co. NS has a base station there among many others: AEP, AT&T microwave, Verizon, misc 2-way and even paging.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
The new system doesn't really have anymore capacity than the old system. Basically the old system was really only one site. Now they have three. Peculiar that coverage is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.