New Uniden SDS100 Handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
looks like they were pissed off about a leak since this link no longer is valid

Or they figured out it was fake/a hoax/practical joke and wiped the egg off their faces...

Voyager

Or they figured out it was fake/a hoax/practical joke and wiped the egg off their faces...

I don't think either case is right. I believe it's a real concept (the pic just doesn't look like an actual product to me), but I believe someone posted something they were not supposed to post. If that is the case I'm sure Uniden is not happy, but PO'ed? What is it with this era of something having to be one extreme or the other?

So, when you post something by mistake, what do you do? Do you just leave it up? No. You take it down. (DUH!)

People are reading way too much into things. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

I also don't buy into the "its time" timeline. The 396 was released in 2005 with an incremental upgrade a few years later. The 436 was released in 2014. That's 9 years for a major replacement. While technology advances at an increasing rate, 4 years is a little quick. I would not expect this anytime this year, or at least not before Christmas which may be a rush, too. Granted, the x36 series had more than it's share of issues, and that may speed up the timeline, but I still think 2018 is too soon. I would estimate 66% chance 2019 and 30% chance late 2018 (4% 2020).

But, I'm also sure that the Unihaters will claim that it's only vaporware and was a hoax when they don't see it in a few months.

Back to reality, I'm sure they have been working on the concept since around 2015 if not before. Even based on the little info leaked it would be a huge advance for scanners in many ways.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
But why would a blog pull their post if it were an actual device coming to market? They could retain bragging rights as the first to break the news on the latest and greatest... unless it wasn't actually true.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it was as simple as Uniden not wanting the information released yet and told Universal to pull it from their site?

bigcam406

I saw the post first thing this morning and what made me wonder about its authenticity was that Universal Radio was the only vendor who had an announcement. I searched most of the popular vendors sites and even the Uniden homepage and there was nothing on it. Is a nice looking radio. Reminds me of a Unication G4-5.

Last edited:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I find it a little odd that Uniden, who plays their cards so close to their chest, would provide a retailer with information about a supposedly upcoming model that hasn't even been submitted to the FCC for type acceptance yet... I mean, the model number doesn't even jive with Uniden's naming convention.

It's not "odd" at all if the intention was to have an intentional leak. Having a retailer "accidentally" post information isn't all that strange in that it lends a bit more credibility. If it had been posted only by a blogger, then there would be a lot of reasons why it should be considered fake.

Let's not forget that UPMan himself hinted a while back that the company has something up it's sleeve.

trp2525

...So, when you post something by mistake, what do you do? Do you just leave it up? No. You take it down. (DUH!)...

But why would a blog pull their post if it were an actual device coming to market?...

In this day and age you can't just "take it down" and expect it to be gone from the internet. For those who may have missed it, Google has a cache snapshot of the blog post before it was taken down earlier today: The Btown Monitoring Post: Uniden to Release New Scanner SDS-100 Handheld

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
If a company doesn't have something "up its sleeve" they'd be out of business. :D

If it is a leak it seems to me all it does is stir the pot more. Assuming it's real I'd much prefer having Paul or a rep of Uniden come forward and just announce it.

The X-Files has a 10 season episode in progress. I think about half of them are pertinent to the core story behind the show and the other half are standalones. Perhaps this is one of the latter... :roll:

All we can do is stay tuned. "The Truth is Out There"...

[/speculation]

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
For some reason(s) the post regarding the SDS100 at The Btown Monitoring Post has now also been removed: http://monitor-post.blogspot.com/2018/01/uniden-to-release-new-scanner-sds-100.html

Update: Google has a cache snapshot of the removed post: The Btown Monitoring Post: Uniden to Release New Scanner SDS-100 Handheld

Google's cache is a wonderful thing. I seem to remember Universal Radio having pages for radios without prices or FCC Approval in the past, so I wouldn't put it past the manufacturers to "leak" through them or for them to be premature. I also remember that everything Universal has put up materialized.

The blog post, on the other hand, is strange. If it is real, and it is a secret, what kind of deal was cut there? I bet I know who's getting the one with serial number ending in 0001.

goodmore

I think the most telling and truthful part of this thread is that people that scan are not happy with current models. This is like throwing a steak into a pack of starving dogs. Now the question is can the two remaining manufacturers produce a quality product?

mule1075

Feed Provider
I think the most telling and truthful part of this thread is that people that scan are not happy with current models. This is like throwing a steak into a pack of starving dogs. Now the question is can the two remaining manufacturers produce a quality product?
Quite happy with the x36hp series. Have had no issues to speak of.

CQ

Bring it On!

So me returning the TRX-2 and waiting for this makes me even more glad I chose wisely. Now I can patiently wait. Wasn't a fan of an HT on a desktop but with SDR capabilities on a monitor and color display if I take it mobile, is a game changer. Hope I can use the GPS unit with it, or even better, built in GPS. Who cares about NXDN and who's whistlin' now?

Now should I return my BCD436HP? Have until the end of the month but I paid for the DMR upgrade which would be a loss.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Some people want a new scanner so badly that they come up with all kinds of reasons to justify the so-called leaks, Yahoo groups, rumors and false postings. I still think it's aardvark hooey.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Since we have no official announcement from Uniden I'm moving this to the Tavern.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Who cares about NXDN and who's whistlin' now?

Lots of people! Especially railway fans....

Now should I return my BCD436HP? Have until the end of the month but I paid for the DMR upgrade which would be a loss.

A little premature don't you think? Considering nobody knows if this new radio is even real, or it's release time frame... or cost! The fact that the picture of it wasn't even an actual picture puts it that much further away...

Status
Not open for further replies.