Northern Kentucky Regional Communications System (NKYRCS)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I heard testing on Kenton County site this morning.
I also heard though the grape vine that the system is on hold due to some type of legal issues on the Indiana tower. No time frame of when it will come on line. Keeps getting pushed back.
Is it an IPSC SAFE-T tower they want to share, or another entity?

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I believe the site is the Lawrenceburg SAFE-T tower but I do not think it is owned by the state. That is the only site that was included as part of the microwave system licensing but was not part of the trunking system applications. The original plan was to have that site and Verona as stand-alone sites, Verona is now in the applications as a simulcast site.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They were doing a good amount of testing yesterday. Saw talk group 1 and 2, in both FDMA and TDMA mode. They have been using TG 4501 encrypted as well. I have also seen a large number of data calls from RID 31 on the Campbell site.

I drove all of the Boone County tower locations yesterday and it appears that the Potters Ranch site is not on the air yet, I also got fluctuating signal at the Conrad and Verona sites so they may or may not be on the air. Of note, I was unable to get any signal at all in the area of Potters Ranch so that area will likely be very dependent on that tower.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard if they plan to connect the CVG site to the new system? That site has had rather generic system data since day one, system ID:A with NAC:A.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
I was told totally separate from the CVG system. I do not think that many of the Boone Co sites are up. The other day while driving North on 71 I didn't receive the system until well into Boone Co so I don't believe the Verona site was on.

I have heard sporadic testing on TG's 1 & 2. Nothing further so far.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I do not think that many of the Boone Co sites are up.

I can 100% confirm all Boone County towers with the exception of Potters Ranch, and possibly Conrad and Verona, were on the air Tuesday. They may have them up and down as they do optimization.

I have noticed that I pretty much need to be in the county of coverage before any of my scanners will get a good lock on the site. The Unications lock all of the sites throughout most of the greater Cincinnati area.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They have had the system on the air for two weeks now and the FCC applications are still pending. Wounder what the hold-up is.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
With anything else, once you figure it out it’s a breeze. That pager has better reception than my APX6000 somehow. Now it is limited to what it can scan and how but I do like it.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
They are doing testing, almost every day.

The Unications work great if you are able to hear everything you want off one site. I have a G4 and G5 (so I can monitor more than one site) and they both blow every other radio/scanner I have out of the water. As I said above the Unication can get all of the NKY sites throughout most of greater Cincinnati while the scanners need to be very close to each county of coverage to get the site.

MikeSmith0096

With anything else, once you figure it out it’s a breeze. That pager has better reception than my APX6000 somehow. Now it is limited to what it can scan and how but I do like it.
Thanks for the info. I have the SDS100 will that be ok? I live in Kenton County you think i would be able to listen to all 3 counties on it? Thank you so much for help!!

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I have the SDS100 will that be ok? I live in Kenton County you think i would be able to listen to all 3 counties on it?
I would think the SDS100 would work great on the new system. You can program the control channels into your scanner now and see what you can hear.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
The only P25 device I have is the G5. I hear that those SDS’s work well and I don’t doubt that you should be able to receive the system fine.

I was told that the system is pushed back well into next year now due to multiple issues so I guess it’ll be a while before we get into figuring this system out.

MikeSmith0096

The only P25 device I have is the G5. I hear that those SDS’s work well and I don’t doubt that you should be able to receive the system fine.

I was told that the system is pushed back well into next year now due to multiple issues so I guess it’ll be a while before we get into figuring this system out.
I put in the frequencies but when scanning it stops at the primary channel for some reason. At the bottom right on primary channel it displays P25 NAC 972h and is stuck on that channel. Do you know a way i can get it to scan?

I am sorry but I am new to digital I am old school and need to learn.

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
I put in the frequencies but when scanning it stops at the primary channel for some reason. At the bottom right on primary channel it displays P25 NAC 972h and is stuck on that channel. Do you know a way i can get it to scan?

I am sorry but I am new to digital I am old school and need to learn.

Just curious... did you program these in as "conventional" channels, or did you program them all in as a Trunked System.?

Also, we have to know what radio you are using.... so, that would help in getting you an answer....

MikeSmith0096

I did a direct entry on my SDS100 it didn't ask me if Trunked or not. I will try to get it to where it is P25. Again thank you all for your help

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
I’ve never programmed an SDS, only a few bearcats. It does sound like you need to set it up as a trunking system, and not conventional, and then I bet all will be good for you. Let us know!