Not receiving any ADS-B Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeeeeta

I recently bought this kit on amazon for the purpose of receiving ADS-B data but when I set it up on my macbook with Dump1090 I don't receive anything. I checked the connections, and doesn't look like there is a on button I have to press so what is the issue? I live in midtown manhattan in an apartment building. I was suspecting that interference could be the issue but I'm not really sure. Any ideas?

peeeeeta

Try using SDRsharp to see if the computer is recognizing the dongle and allows you to manually tune frequencies.
Done have SD
Rsharp since I'm on a MacBook but I ran rtf_test and it shows this:
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.58.13 PM.png
I'm pretty sure the R820T tuner has coverage for 1090 mhz. When trying to tune to the frequency 1090 mhz in GQRX I couldn't although that could definitely be because I was doing something wrong as it was my first time using the software.

peeeeeta

There does seem to be a problem. As freqhopping suggests, is the dongle working to receive anything on other frequencies-say FM broadcast stations between 88 and 108 MHz?
I was able to pick up a radio station near 107 MHz but that's about all I was able to find. Still a newbie so there's probably more too.

peeeeeta

I was also able to pick up a aircraft for 1 second with no callsign and 0 altitude, 0 speed, 0 lat & lon 0 track. dump1090 shows it seen for 1 second. I'm not sure if it is a glitch or something but I got it after I changed my gain to -29.5 so maybe that helped?

Shows it was seen for 6 seconds now

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I was also able to pick up a aircraft for 1 second with no callsign and 0 altitude, 0 speed, 0 lat & lon 0 track. dump1090 shows it seen for 1 second. I'm not sure if it is a glitch or something but I got it after I changed my gain to -29.5 so maybe that helped?

Shows it was seen for 6 seconds now
Do you have a clear line of site to the sky above? No roofs, buildings etc...

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
What antenna are you using and where is it located?

If you're using the supplied antenna, it's designed for broad coverage and not optimized for ADS-B. There are antennas designed for receiving ADSB signals. You can purchase them commercially or build them yourself --> Making Antennas for 1090MHz ADS-B Aircraft Tracking - lucsmall.com

The antenna should be mounted outside with a clear view of the sky. But if you have no balcony, then a window will have to do. 1090 Mhz signals won't penetrate the building so you'll only be able to pick up aircraft you can 'see' from the balcony or window.

peeeeeta

Do you have a clear line of site to the sky above? No roofs, buildings etc...
There are some buildings between me and the airport but even when a plane passes straight over me dump1090 doesn't show any data.

peeeeeta

What antenna are you using and where is it located?

If you're using the supplied antenna, it's designed for broad coverage and not optimized for ADS-B. There are antennas designed for receiving ADSB signals. You can purchase them commercially or build them yourself --> Making Antennas for 1090MHz ADS-B Aircraft Tracking - lucsmall.com

The antenna should be mounted outside with a clear view of the sky. But if you have no balcony, then a window will have to do. 1090 Mhz signals won't penetrate the building so you'll only be able to pick up aircraft you can 'see' from the balcony or window.
I'm using the supplied antenna from my apartment window, I've tried sticking the antenna out the window but that didn't change anything. I get good reception from that spot on my BC125AT. I'm looking to get a better antenna now.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I suspect something is may be wrong in your setup of the software and would double check that also.

peeeeeta

UPDATE
Software was correctly set up. The problem was with the cheap antenna and/or dongle. Bought the RTL-SDR kit and everything is working fine. I did have to buy a bandpass filter to pick up a descent amount of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.