NYPD Trunk?

The Magnificent
Had a conversation recently with a friend of mine that worked in the 52 up in The Bronx and I asked him if his desk has a radio for Yonkers PD (going based off of a comment I saw once in another thread talking about that NYPD and Yonkers would do a mutual and exchange a portable or portable) which he confirmed to me they indeed do.

Thinking on that logic, I know NYPD has become very closed off with having outside agencies that work within NYC utilize their channels for anything to the point that now some agencies have an NYPD officer designated as the liaison between their agency and NYPD to relay comms to central or operations (kind of redundant in certain situations but understandable). What if this TRS is just for outside agencies to be able to communicate for whatever reason. Going based off of some of the other comments saying that one of the TGs is for MTS-17-MTN (any truth to that?), PAPD and MTA Police both operate within the confines of this precinct, perhaps this TRS is for them to communicate vs NYPD’s Electronic Section giving out their AES keys and transmit NACs to outsiders. Maybe they’ll have it for every command in the city for the outside agencies (1/5/7/HB4 has PAPD, HHC, NYSP, DHS amongst others there for example). I’m curious about certain commands / areas such as Sea Gate and Starrett City / Spring Creek which has peace officers who utilize the radio and take in radio runs in the area (this was confirmed to me by someone that worked in Sea Gate after retiring from NYPD). I know Sea Gate for example carries two types of radios, Hytera for DMR (their personal channel) and an NYPD radio with their name at the bottom under the alpha tag with every Brooklyn and Citywide zone. I know for a fact that Sea Gate responds to jobs both in the 60 and PSA 1. I was told it’s the same logic for Spring Creek Public Safety while in the 75 but I can’t speak for there because I don’t know anyone there. That’s what I feel the purpose of this TRS could be for, or maybe for the press with some type of a delay and Electronic Section punches in the affiliation and keys in for them like in agencies down south. Feel free to agree or disagree. My apologies for this comment being confusing and all over the place.

ff026

Feed Provider
Hypothetical, How about a relay of PD TAC channels? Creates better coverage than simplex would and secures the Comm’s if they were are were not. A possibility as FDNY does similar for many years. Leaving the sandbox, see yaaa.
No. Not at all. TAC channels are barely utilized. In the age of department issued iPhones tac channels are a dinosaur technology.

ff026

Feed Provider
Had a conversation recently with a friend of mine that worked in the 52 up in The Bronx and I asked him if his desk has a radio for Yonkers PD (going based off of a comment I saw once in another thread talking about that NYPD and Yonkers would do a mutual and exchange a portable or portable) which he confirmed to me they indeed do.

Thinking on that logic, I know NYPD has become very closed off with having outside agencies that work within NYC utilize their channels for anything to the point that now some agencies have an NYPD officer designated as the liaison between their agency and NYPD to relay comms to central or operations (kind of redundant in certain situations but understandable). What if this TRS is just for outside agencies to be able to communicate for whatever reason. Going based off of some of the other comments saying that one of the TGs is for MTS-17-MTN (any truth to that?), PAPD and MTA Police both operate within the confines of this precinct, perhaps this TRS is for them to communicate vs NYPD’s Electronic Section giving out their AES keys and transmit NACs to outsiders. Maybe they’ll have it for every command in the city for the outside agencies (1/5/7/HB4 has PAPD, HHC, NYSP, DHS amongst others there for example). I’m curious about certain commands / areas such as Sea Gate and Starrett City / Spring Creek which has peace officers who utilize the radio and take in radio runs in the area (this was confirmed to me by someone that worked in Sea Gate after retiring from NYPD). I know Sea Gate for example carries two types of radios, Hytera for DMR (their personal channel) and an NYPD radio with their name at the bottom under the alpha tag with every Brooklyn and Citywide zone. I know for a fact that Sea Gate responds to jobs both in the 60 and PSA 1. I was told it’s the same logic for Spring Creek Public Safety while in the 75 but I can’t speak for there because I don’t know anyone there. That’s what I feel the purpose of this TRS could be for, or maybe for the press with some type of a delay and Electronic Section punches in the affiliation and keys in for them like in agencies down south. Feel free to agree or disagree. My apologies for this comment being confusing and all over the place.
The 52 never had a Yonkers radio. The 50 and the 47(mt Vernon) had those radios for mutual aid that never ever really got utilized. It was easier for the dispatcher to make the phone call.

The Magnificent
No. Not at all. TAC channels are barely utilized. In the age of department issued iPhones tac channels are a dinosaur technology.
The only TAC I’ve heard being used recently is TAC A for Municipal Security at City Hall but only random key ups and portable checks. I’ve heard TAC A come over by PSAC II (crystal clear). Recently heard TAC Q (don’t even know why I have every NYPD and FDNY tac programmed if they only use maybe 4 of them out of the 30+ available) and it was blaring AES256 scrambling, even checked the database here to see maybe I’m picking up another agency but that wasn’t the case. Obviously TAC G is used every day by ESU but the rest, I guess play it by ear.

The Magnificent
The 52 never had a Yonkers radio. The 50 and the 47(mt Vernon) had those radios for mutual aid that never ever really got utilized. It was easier for the dispatcher to make the phone call.
He never sent me a picture when I asked but he mentioned it was a radio that “looks like some **** Parks Department would carry” and I quote 🤣. And my first thought automatically was APX4000 which is issued throughout Westchester County (save for WCPD and the farther north agencies that are still 100% analog). Understandable why the trade but at the same time redundant. Everything now is done through central and operations regarding any landline requests from another agency. Surprised NYPD doesn’t load their patrol radios with everything this city has (TRS, Secure channels, surrounding agencies, etc) like FDNY does. I’ve seen it myself, FDNY has a $hitton of zones on their APX8000XEs. I know NYPD ESU and certain units (Joint task force, Intel for example) have a similar set up to the FDNY APXs though not as many zones and channels as them. Thanks for the input! I had an assumption the 47 had it like that and you confirmed my theory! 👍🏽

ff026

Feed Provider
He never sent me a picture when I asked but he mentioned it was a radio that “looks like some **** Parks Department would carry” and I quote 🤣. And my first thought automatically was APX4000 which is issued throughout Westchester County (save for WCPD and the farther north agencies that are still 100% analog). Understandable why the trade but at the same time redundant. Everything now is done through central and operations regarding any landline requests from another agency. Surprised NYPD doesn’t load their patrol radios with everything this city has (TRS, Secure channels, surrounding agencies, etc) like FDNY does. I’ve seen it myself, FDNY has a $hitton of zones on their APX8000XEs. I know NYPD ESU and certain units (Joint task force, Intel for example) have a similar set up to the FDNY APXs though not as many zones and channels as them. Thanks for the input! I had an assumption the 47 had it like that and you confirmed my theory! 👍🏽
The 52 does not border Yonkers. Yes a lot of crap from Yonkers spills into the Bronx but it’s not a big deal.

The Patrol APX portables have a lot of zones and it has a zone for the MAC channels.

The Department doesn’t want you switching channels without letting the dispatcher know. It’s a way to keep track of units for their safety.

I’ve explained this before. Many times all you can get over the radio in certain situations will be your ID. You may only hear “48 Adam” then silence. The dispatcher will raise you one or 2 times if no reply they send the Calvary to your last location.

ff026

Feed Provider
Might be a Veterans Affairs Hospital Police Radio. They were assigned one years ago but now that radios are personally issued they may have left one at the desk.

The VA hospital is in the confines of the 52.

The Magnificent
The 52 does not border Yonkers. Yes a lot of crap from Yonkers spills into the Bronx but it’s not a big deal.

The Patrol APX portables have a lot of zones and it has a zone for the MAC channels.

The Department doesn’t want you switching channels without letting the dispatcher know. It’s a way to keep track of units for their safety.

I’ve explained this before. Many times all you can get over the radio in certain situations will be your ID. You may only hear “48 Adam” then silence. The dispatcher will raise you one or 2 times if no reply they send the Calvary to your last location.
I always thought the 52 covered Woodlawn by the Yonkers border hence why I thought that. I’ve honestly seen the MAC channels but never had a clue what their purpose were to be honest.

I’ve noticed units in the field (both patrol and special units) carrying two portables to jump to CW4 or another zone with all the nonsense nowadays with pursuits and scooters / dirtbikes.

The Magnificent
Might be a Veterans Affairs Hospital Police Radio. They were assigned one years ago but now that radios are personally issued they may have left one at the desk.

The VA hospital is in the confines of the 52.
VA police up here would be an APX6000 in UHF1 or an APX7000 in UHF1 and whatever other bandsplit (depending on the region, each hospital carries different radios). But you may be right. I’ve seen most VA police carrying 8000s since they’re FLEOs. I’d assume them to leave an older XTS instead of a 4000. I’ll have to ask him again if he saw an engraving on it or not.

ff026

Feed Provider
I always thought the 52 covered Woodlawn by the Yonkers border hence why I thought that. I’ve honestly seen the MAC channels but never had a clue what their purpose were to be honest.

I’ve noticed units in the field (both patrol and special units) carrying two portables to jump to CW4 or another zone with all the nonsense nowadays with pursuits and scooters / dirtbikes.
The 52 covers Jerome Avenue adjacent to wood lawn but not Woodlawn. The west side of Jerome above 213 street is the 50. The east side of Jerome above 213 is the 47. The 52 covers Jerome to the intersection of 233 but just the street off the street is the other 2 commands.

minasha

Premium Subscriber
We are on the water and line of sight to Manhattan Brooklyn and Queens. I'm assuming Staten Island sites are not turned on yet?
Doesn't add up to me you may have line of sight but you are maybe 30 miles or more away I am only 7 miles from Manhattan I should get at least 3 bars but I'm getting barely 1 bar of signal maybe you are right about Staten Island sight needing be activated, in the end it won't matter if it's all encrypted anyway.