Orange County CORNet P25 System

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is there any possibility that the site identifiers in the database are swapped? I live in Marlboro (just north of the Orange County line) and I'm picking up the 'south' system like gang-busters. No signal at all from any of the 'north' frequencies. Seems a bit strange...

Thanx.
The sites are correct.
Let me expand on this a little bit, as I posted from my phone earlier.

North cell is Site 1 (700 MHz) and South cell is Site 2 (800 MHz), that is 100% confirmed.

The reason why you're getting South stronger than North up in Ulster County is because of the way the system is engineered. It is designed to focus as much RF into Orange as possible, and thus the antennas on the outer edge of the county (or in neighboring counties) are directional. Because you're located north of nearly all of the North cell subsites, you're "behind" the focus of the antennas.

Instead, you're getting blasted by Beacon, which is focusing its RF to the west across the river.

richardrosa

Let me expand on this a little bit, as I posted from my phone earlier.

North cell is Site 1 (700 MHz) and South cell is Site 2 (800 MHz), that is 100% confirmed.

The reason why you're getting South stronger than North up in Ulster County is because of the way the system is engineered. It is designed to focus as much RF into Orange as possible, and thus the antennas on the outer edge of the county (or in neighboring counties) are directional. Because you're located north of nearly all of the North cell subsites, you're "behind" the focus of the antennas.

Instead, you're getting blasted by Beacon, which is focusing its RF to the west across the river.

Thanx. That kinda clears up the mystery. Mt. Beacon is Line-Of-Sight for me. The coverage maps didn't seem to indicate this.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Even in areas where you think you would affiliate to North, the South simulcast seems to pull the radio over. For example, there are sites in Montgomery and Goshen (North) but Beacon and Schummemunk seem to rain supreme pulling you over to South. Same goes with Beacon vs Cronomer in Newburgh, with preference to Beacon.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Woodbury PD started using the system this afternoon...well, yesterday afternoon technically as I write this post.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Hoping to help find out who is active/switched over, my 996p2 comes in today! Anything you guys want me to keep an eye on, let me know.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hoping to help find out who is active/switched over, my 996p2 comes in today! Anything you guys want me to keep an eye on, let me know.
There's not much mystery to it that needs figuring out, but enjoy listening to the system.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Blooming Grove PD and Washingtonville PD are on the new system. Don't forget that some of these police depts are dispatched by OC911 overnight, so check the database for which LE Response talkgroup each agency uses when contacting OC911.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Enjoy listening to the law enforcement talkgroups while you can. In the near future, all law enforcement talkgroups on the system will be strapped secure with AES-256 encryption. There is no timeline as of yet, but it will likely happen relatively quickly (weeks, not months).

No, this is not a rumor, and let's please not turn this thread into a debate about the topic of encryption. The decision has been made, it's final, and it is what it is.