PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
If most of the traffic on the site is PSP it'll be encrypted and the scanner just skips/ignores those calls.
You can set the NAC although that would likely make little difference. It's 94F.

w3sax

Premium Subscriber
I will show DATA if it is decoding.
Ok I’m not always seeing that. I assume that what I’m seeing is possibly strong interference. Perhaps the signal is also weak where I am located. How busy is the system with non-encrypted traffic? I thought for sure I would have heard some of the other agencies by now.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Anybody getting anything in the 700MHz range in the State College area? The old Harris Bucks air-ground site has been offline for a while now and I have to wonder if they didn't just replace it with a site near PSU since the helos frequently work up there for PSU football. Check in the 769-775 segment for a control channel.

ChrisRupert

I have been looking at the Penn DOT talkgroups. Does each district have a Traffic Control Center/Traffic Management Talkgroup. On the list it shows District 6 as having 10 talkgroups and nothing for the other districts. I'm interested in D2 and D3 comms.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I have been looking at the Penn DOT talkgroups. Does each district have a Traffic Control Center/Traffic Management Talkgroup. On the list it shows District 6 as having 10 talkgroups and nothing for the other districts. I'm interested in D2 and D3 comms.

District 6's lineup is different than the others in that regard...many more talkgroups for traffic management comms. However, they are quiet.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I didn't catch the site, as I am now scanning on a newly delivered SDS100, but I caught TG 40182 and it sounded like they said "New Castle" or "New Stanton" "line personnel remain clear of xx line, we are energizing xx line. It is shown in the TG research wiki as an announcement channel, would it be an announcement channel or a line channel?

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Ok I’m not always seeing that. I assume that what I’m seeing is possibly strong interference. Perhaps the signal is also weak where I am located. How busy is the system with non-encrypted traffic? I thought for sure I would have heard some of the other agencies by now.
Most of the non encrypted traffic you'll hear is going to be PEMA, PGC, DCNR, and PennDOT for 90% of the time. Those agencies are pretty active near me in the Williamsport area. The sites I currently monitor are COLU01, COLU02, SULL01, LUZE04, LYCO15 (When conditions are right.) and the LYCO01-700MHz A-G site.

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Are the A-G sites spewing all the usual traffic or are they typically quiet as they used to be?

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Are the A-G sites spewing all the usual traffic or are they typically quiet as they used to be?
Quiet as can be at least on the LYCO01 site. I used to hear PSP Air 1 (Watch Center) quite a bit before they made the switch to full encryption.

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
heard patch today from westmoreland pema channel to icorrs cw law 8. Trooper 5 patch in for a search.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to the call on the PEMA Westmoreland Interop channel and everyone was in the clear, Westmoreland units, PSP, and Trooper 5. The Air/Ground sites don't carry much traffic besides Air 1 Watch Center. I haven't heard any National Guard traffic yet on that channel.

talviar

In the clear? I thought that channel was at least using partial (De) encryption.
when an encrypted channel is "cross patched" to an unencrypted channel, the voice traffic is unencrypted on those channels.
And the traffic on the ICORRS side could be encrypted or non encrypted as well..... Encryption becomes a logistical nightmare for folks in interop situations and an unencrypted channel may be used.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
when an encrypted channel is "cross patched" to an unencrypted channel, the voice traffic is unencrypted on those channels.
And the traffic on the ICORRS side could be encrypted or non encrypted as well..... Encryption becomes a logistical nightmare for folks in interop situations and an unencrypted channel may be used.
PSP doesn't seem to care a whole lot about interoperability seeing that when they're on an active incident with local PDs most of the time they don't just switch to the local channel/TG instead of the dispatchers playing phone tag.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Can confirm cw law 8 was clear. But that channel can be switched secure.
But most cops only know how to turn on/off , change channel in one zone and the PTTbuttom.