PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

Rishayan

Depends on how busy the site is at the time you are listening - you may not be following whole conversations, and certainly not following the talk path slot assignments.
I realize that. Of course you would have to have the scanner set up in trunking mode to do that. But that is not my my interest. I am a DXer. My hobby is not following a particular conversation, but rather studying the propagation of signals, usage of certain frequencies, finding talkgroups that do not appear in the database, etc. My point is, listening to the output frequency of the repeater, you can hear whatever unencrypted audio that comes across. I just didn't hear anything at all the night of the snowstorm, and in fact, have yet to hear anything out of PA states Phase 2 repeaters. But, as somebody has said, maybe they have some sort of electronic configuration set up that if you don't punch in all the details, you can't hear the audio. Although, I find that hard to believe. As long as the radio is set up to receive Phase 2 signals, it should be able to hear what comes across, irregardless of the "time slot". It sure can on DMR and every other phase 1 and 2 system that I have monitored. In a few weeks , I will be passing through the Philly area, where they have said that PennDot is indeed active on P2. I will see if my scanners can get it in conventional mode.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I really don't have the energy to argue tonight. P25 Phase II TDMA transmissions cannot be monitored in conventional mode with a scanner, period.

If you are hearing activity on those frequencies, then one of two things is happening:

a) You are picking up Phase I FDMA talkgroups, not Phase II TDMA talkgroups

b) You parked the scanner on the control channel, and it's processing TDMA call grants and tuning to the traffic channels

Rishayan

Follow one talkgroup. It cannot be done without programming the correct way as a trunked radio system
OK, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I listen to whatever comes across the Phase 2 repeater, whatever talkgroup it is. Yes, I certainly understand trunked systems, and understand that if I want to follow a particular talkgroup. I have to have it in trunked mode. I have been a DXer for over 50 years, long before trunked systems even existed. But I am not interested in following a particular talkgroup. My interest is studying the activity on the repeaters. The ellendale site has only three voice channels( and one data channel) 159.1125, 159.39, and 151.3475. I just found it strange that I heard nothing on these three frequencies ( except for PSP), during the most active time of the snowstorm.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
OK, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I listen to whatever comes across the Phase 2 repeater, whatever talkgroup it is. I just found it strange that I heard nothing on these three frequencies ( except for PSP), during the most active time of the snowstorm.
And there lies the issue. As I and others are trying to explain to you the system needs to be programmed as a P25 Phase-II trunked system otherwise you're going to hear every agency that comes through and not have the ability to avoid the agancies you don't want to hear. Also you need to ensure your scanner can track P25 Phase-II. See list of supported scanners here

bearcat

OK, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I listen to whatever comes across the Phase 2 repeater, whatever talkgroup it is. Yes, I certainly understand trunked systems, and understand that if I want to follow a particular talkgroup. I have to have it in trunked mode. I have been a DXer for over 50 years, long before trunked systems even existed. But I am not interested in following a particular talkgroup. My interest is studying the activity on the repeaters. The ellendale site has only three voice channels( and one data channel) 159.1125, 159.39, and 151.3475. I just found it strange that I heard nothing on these three frequencies ( except for PSP), during the most active time of the snowstorm.

There are a bunch of 800 mhz sites which also cover the same area as that VHF site. Chances are that those sites were handling the bulk of the load during the storm. I am not sure how these 800 sites which overlay a VHF site work exactly, but they obviously have a purpose.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
PennDOT talks. A lot. If you're not hearing them, that's a problem on your end. Every PennDOT district is on the new system. If you're not hearing them and you're not trying to properly monitor the trunked system with a scanner capable of doing so, that is also your issue. The fact that this debate has gone on as long as it has is painful.

Hundreds of RIDS are logged in the wiki for radios assigned to PennDOT District 8. Pennsylvania Statewide Radio Network (PA-STARNet) Radio and Unit IDs - The RadioReference Wiki

EDIT: I should add that you can thank @u2brent for that. I'm pretty sure he added all those District 8 entries. Kudos to anyone else who may have had a hand in that, too.

Last edited:

KC3ECJ

Are you in range of the ECEN?
I didn't monitor it this storm, but the one before it, it was quite active.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Yes, I was scanning the VHF Hi band back and forth during the last two snowstorms and heard nothing on the PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 repeater frequencies, just occasional open carriers, with nothing. About a year or two ago, I did briefly receive some PennDOT P2 traffic on one of these frequencies. Now, nothing. I am using both a TRX1 and an SDS100 scanning and monitoring in conventional mode. On the local P25 county TRS repeaters, lots of activity. On the state, nothing, just the buzz of their control channels, and the occasional off and on open carriers on the voice channels, which I believe to be the encrypted PSP transmissions. PennDOT must still be on Open Sky in this region ( Harrisburg area), as they have still not made the switch over to Phase 2.
District 5-4(Monroe Co) was very active during the recent snow storms. I just wish some of these drivers would speak across the mics and not directly into them.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Are you in range of the ECEN?
I didn't monitor it this storm, but the one before it, it was quite active.
I do and it was very active with DOT traffic during the last storm. I mainly monitor ECEN Simulcast, CLOU02, SULL01, SNYD02 and LUZE04 sites all of them were very active.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
District 5-4(Monroe Co) was very active during the recent snow storms. I just wish some of these drivers would speak across the mics and not directly into them.

We have the same problem over here in NC PA especially the guys in Lycoming and Northumberland Counties, for some reason they seem to be the worst at it.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
The Allegheny Simulcast traveled far today, as I was able to pick up TG40186 from ATA. It seems like it's more of a Call a Bus channel, or at least mostly scheduled runs, not necessarily typical bus route traffic like I hear on various bus channels I've listened to. Would anyone who's in here know a little more about how they run? Are all of their comms on the same channel, or do they have multiple channels?

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Having hit the cap of 150 sites per zone (RFSS), the state is in the process of acquiring and implementing a second zone controller (RFSS 2), so there are additional sites coming in the future. It will still pale in comparison to the total amount of OpenSky sites (1,000+)
Any update on RFSS Zone 2?

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Today PGC SW was having radio troubles, it sounds like PGC HQ is going to keep an ear on the channel in case they have any more problems.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
PSP House budget hearing was held today. Within the first few minutes, Rep Mako asked for a STARNet update. While the exchange was painful on both sides (because nobody really seemed to know what they were saying other than to use some acronyms and catch phrases somebody scribbled down for them), the important take-away was that McKean County will be joining the system some time in the next 18 months or so.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Oh boy, hopefully it doesn't turn into another OpenSky as time goes by. The system does seem to be more reliable on the surface, and I personally have faith in the ASTRO 25 platform...but there are so many variables that come into play, not the least of which is the leadership and those administering the system on a day to day basis.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
My belief is that the system has too many bloody talk groups. I know the state is huge, but they give away TG’s like candy on All Hallows’ Eve!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
My belief is that the system has too many bloody talk groups. I know the state is huge, but they give away TG’s like candy on All Hallows’ Eve!
PennDOT is the only agency with an unreasonable amount of talkgroups, every other agency is well within normal parameters for a system this large. If you took every talkgroup for every agency and broke them down by county, it probably works out to be less than most countywide systems.