PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I spend a fair amount of time in Washington Co which does have an 800 site, however I have never seen a PennDot truck with anything other than a VHF antenna in Washington Co area. Probably because most of the county is rural.
I'm surprised you don't have trucks with the muti-band radios down there especially with your proximity to Allegheny County which is almost all 800MHz sites even though you're in two different districts that doesn't really matter when it comes to radio coverage unless the talkgroup is geo locked like the ECEN talkgroups are restricted to the ECEN Simulcast cell.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The PennDot vehicles (Wreckers, Crash Trucks, etc) at the Tunnels have multiband antennas on them. Those antennas are similar to the Motorola multiband antennas that are seen on DCNR, but they have a small loading coil on the whip. Maybe the Kenwood version of a multiband antenna. In fact most PennDot vehicles assigned to areas with 800 sites seem to have multiband antennas. PennDot radios come up on most 800 sites during snow and road work details.
I think they may be choosing per district what to run. I see them on VHF and 800 both. Thinking back, I do think the truck I saw had a mulitband antenna on it but definitely a dash mount single band Kenwood mobile on VHF.

mrb188

padot uses several different venders to supply their radios according to a trusted source of mine.
PAStarNet only has Viking (Kenwood) and Motorola radios approved for use on the system. Although it was built and sold to taxpayers as a multi-vendor open source system they REFUSE to allow other radios capable of operating on the system. Kenwood NX-5200 & NX-5700 are capable and used on the same type Motorola systems in other states, PSP refuses to allow and gives COMPLETELY bogus excuses. Not sure why Kenwood or other vendors don't raise a stink about it.

bearcat

I think they may be choosing per district what to run. I see them on VHF and 800 both. Thinking back, I do think the truck I saw had a mulitband antenna on it but definitely a dash mount single band Kenwood mobile on VHF.
Great catch! Never thought about that. They could use a multiband antenna with a single band radio. I guess DSD+ and RID/TG comparisons on the 800 sites is the true test.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Is there a "Glen(n) DCC? This morning, a truck called what sounded like Glen(n) DCC on TG40086. This was heard off of ALLE*

ekim223

I hear Eric County PennDot trucks on the Erie 92 (800) regularly. These trucks are operating in the southwestern part of Erie County. Otherwise, it
seems all other PennDot in northwest PA are on VHF.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I've been noticing an uptick in PEMA usage on the system. Nearly every day I hear multiple radio checks from techs and hospitals from around the state.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I've been noticing an uptick in PEMA usage on the system. Nearly every day I hear multiple radio checks from techs and hospitals from around the state.

That's just the continued migration of the DOH base stations at the hospitals across the state. They are still in the process of moving off OpenSky.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
That's just the continued migration of the DOH base stations at the hospitals across the state. They are still in the process of moving off OpenSky.
At least it's nice to see some progress with thos system. I used to barely get anything all day, now I'm getting like 300+ hits a day minimum.

bearcat

I'm surprised you don't have trucks with the muti-band radios down there especially with your proximity to Allegheny County which is almost all 800MHz sites even though you're in two different districts that doesn't really matter when it comes to radio coverage unless the talkgroup is geo locked like the ECEN talkgroups are restricted to the ECEN Simulcast cell.
For about three weeks I have compiled data from the Washington Co 800 site. There were zero hits (TG or UID) from Washington Co Penndot vehicles/HTs, however there were hundreds of registrations, grants, and affiliations from Allegheny Co Penndot vehicles. Which is not really a surprise.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
What's PEMA SOC? It sounds like PEMA Sock. I've heard them do a few radio checks over the last few weeks.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
There was some radio coverage testing on TG12463 on ALLE* this morning. They were PEMA range ID's

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
I keep looking at least once a week to see if WEST03 700 AG comes back online, and I have yet to pick any new P25 stuff in the 700/800 bands. Is Site 1.146 still showing as a neighbor to other AG Sites?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
It would appear there is some ICORRS traffic being carried on STARNet today. ISSI testing? If anybody has details not ready for public discussion, you can PM me.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
It would appear there is some ICORRS traffic being carried on STARNet today. ISSI testing? If anybody has details not ready for public discussion, you can PM me.
I've been holding on ALLE Simulcast all day on ID Search and I haven't picked up anything.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
DCNR Whisky 12 made contact with the Monroe County Control Center via PEMA Monroe Co Hailing this morning regarding a brush fire that they were responding to.