PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Lots of activity on DCNR D13 regarding a forest fire and talking about bringing in a helicopter.

FD12 Tiadaghton, not FD13. Look for simplex comms on 159.285 for the helo.

Also, it seems DCNR patched the Air East, Air Central, and Air West VHF repeaters into P25 for fire season. NR Statewide (Air West), NR Harrisburg (Air Central), and NR Inventory (Air East) have been used to implement the patches.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
FD12 Tiadaghton, not FD13. Look for simplex comms on 159.285 for the helo.

Also, it seems DCNR patched the Air East, Air Central, and Air West VHF repeaters into P25 for fire season. NR Statewide (Air West), NR Harrisburg (Air Central), and NR Inventory (Air East) have been used to implement the patches.
You're right that was a typo on my part. I'm unfortunately not close enough to hear the helo comms (159.285) or any of the VHF air repeaters. And there's no PLs listed for the air repeaters in the RRDB. Also is there a PL on 159.285 or is it CSQ?

One13Truck

Feed Provider
And I’m in a dead zone here. Very rarely do I even hear anything from PennDOT or the Game Commission. Maybe once or twice a day someone from the game commission calls Dallas Base to report themselves 10-41 or 10-42. But that’s been it here.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
You're right that was a typo on my part. I'm unfortunately not close enough to hear the helo comms (159.285) or any of the VHF air repeaters. And there's no PLs listed for the air repeaters in the RRDB. Also is there a PL on 159.285 or is it CSQ?

You'll sometimes see a 156.7 PL on the helo transmit side. But, it is CSQ on receive, so any transmit PL is kind of pointless.

I don't want to drag this out since it is straying away from the thread topic, but here is video of N653HA working the fire in Lycoming today.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
New Site app: MCKE## - Bradford, PA

• Same freqs as Site 104 Rew but different location
  • New location doesn't have any existing state assets on it, so I don't know the MCKE##
  • Even though same freqs as 104, it's not "replacing" 104
  • because same license is adding 154.2125 to Site 104 Rew, giving it same channel lineup as the Bradford site
  • The tower that the new site is on is owned by " Area Transportation authority of North Central PA "
  • simulcast ?

M

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
New Site app: MCKE## - Bradford, PA

• Same freqs as Site 104 Rew but different location
  • New location doesn't have any existing state assets on it, so I don't know the MCKE##
  • Even though same freqs as 104, it's not "replacing" 104
  • because same license is adding 154.2125 to Site 104 Rew, giving it same channel lineup as the Bradford site
  • The tower that the new site is on is owned by " Area Transportation authority of North Central PA "
  • simulcast ?

M

McKean County will be migrating to STARNET over a the next several years like Warren County and ECEN.

Torzetti

Feed Provider
I have been monitoring the Warren County simulcast repeater in Cobham WARR35A and have not picked up anything. The site does not list a NAC. I have tried using the NAC's of the adjacent towers and also tried leaving it blank and still receive nothing. I am using a raspberry pi and OP25

Any ideas

Thanks

N2MLP99

I have been monitoring the Warren County simulcast repeater in Cobham WARR35A and have not picked up anything. The site does not list a NAC. I have tried using the NAC's of the adjacent towers and also tried leaving it blank and still receive nothing. I am using a raspberry pi and OP25

Any ideas

Thanks
is the radio picking up other stations?

no antenna?
incorrect programing

more information please

Torzetti

Feed Provider
The radio works great on other stations with or without programming in a NAC. The problem is only with the Cobham WARR35A station. It is labeled a simulcast station and has no NAC listed. I am well within the coverage area and the FFT plot shows that I have a great signal level.

When I receive the other stations, I also receive the system Frequency List and the Adjacent Sites list, but nothing on the simulcast site.

I have tried changing from CQPSK to C4FM and back again, however nothing seems to work
Thanx

Torzetti

Feed Provider
While listening to the open squelch as you recommended I realized that something was interfering with the signal. The repeater that I was trying to receive is on a frequency of 151.3475 and is about 25 miles from my location. Then finding that there is another repeater 3 miles from my location on the frequency of 151.3400 led me to realize that the poor selectivity of my SDR is the issue.

Thank you for support

Tom

dmason04

I support our police.
Are there any new plans for new 800 MHz towers? I've been looking over the state and noticed that there are quite a few 800 MHz systems in the state and was curious if STARNet would be introducing any new plans. We've had a number of wildfires here lately and the company I run with doesn't have a good way to get a hold of DCNR since they are on STARNet VHF and we are on an 800 MHz system. It would be nice to have access to the DCNR fire channels so we can communicate with them since all we have are APX 6000s and XTS 2500s in 800 MHz.

a417

Are there any new plans for new 800 MHz towers? I've been looking over the state and noticed that there are quite a few 800 MHz systems in the state and was curious if STARNet would be introducing any new plans. We've had a number of wildfires here lately and the company I run with doesn't have a good way to get a hold of DCNR since they are on STARNet VHF and we are on an 800 MHz system. It would be nice to have access to the DCNR fire channels so we can communicate with them since all we have are APX 6000s and XTS 2500s in 800 MHz.
Wouldn't going thru official channels in your county yield better results? This sounds like an inter-op/safety issue and should be handled accordingly, and not thru a resource you "are no longer participating in", or whatever you wrote on your website...

dmason04

I support our police.
Wouldn't going thru official channels in your county yield better results? This sounds like an inter-op/safety issue and should be handled accordingly, and not thru a resource you "are no longer participating in", or whatever you wrote on your website...

I'm simply asking what the plans are for STARNet. Your commentary is duly noted. Since everyone wishes to be a keyboard warrior, I'll go through the Chief for more information.

a417

I'll go through the Chief for more information.
Chain of commands are necessary, to prevent 'keyboard warriors' from taking information on the internet and causing absolute chaos. Have a good day!

One13Truck

Feed Provider

So the proper way then would be have the County units contact their dispatch who then has to contact DNCR who will contact the DNCR field units who will reply back to DNCR who will then get back to that County who who’ll then contact the field units again instead of everyone being able to actually talk and work with each other directly with no delays at all? Got it. Makes perfect sense. Hooray for interoperability in Pa!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So the proper way then would be....
You completely missed the point of a417's post. By "the proper way", he was referring to the fire company reaching out to DCNR/SRND to find out how they might be able to better communicate between agencies.

It's unlikely that the state is going to build out 800 MHz infrastructure in Centre County just so a volunteer fire company can talk to DCNR. Besides which, the XTS would be useless as the STARNet P25 system does not allow FDMA talkgroups. The system also uses radio authentication, which requires the APX subscribers to have the AES algorithm.

If they really need to directly communicate with DCNR that badly, the FD can simply obtain some cheap VHF analog radios that they can use on one of many good old fashioned simplex VHF nationwide interop channels.

Final point...the DCNR fire ops talkgroups are encrypted, and so it's pretty unlikely that they're going to permit anyone outside the agency to get their key loaded into radios they have no control over.

Oh and also, consider the source asking the question lol.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin