PA Statewide P25 Phase 2 System

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but the OpenSky system has been officially shut down as of roughly a month ago. Some sites were unable to be shut down remotely, and so they may still be spitting some RF out, but the system is no longer actively used.

Also there is an application in the pipeline to swap out the Geigertown 700 AG (BERK02) frequencies with 800 frequencies.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Has anyone heard any traffic on the PFBC lowband in the last year or so? Every vehicle I have seen no longer has lowband equipment in it. WCOs carry APX8000 portables for the state system and also utilize county systems (either in their 8000 or carrying a second radio) for info checks on people they're interacting with. I was going to go ahead and delete this category since they seem to be soley on STARNet or county networks now. Fish and Boat Commission (Pennsylvania) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
I know a guy that was a WCO a few years ago and he is a ham and never saw any lowband stuff. But it was before they had 8000s so I think he said they just used a county radio depending where they were. Or cellular.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, the Western Region office has an in-building P25 repeater. Radio Maintenance was testing it earlier today.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone picked up comms from the OSIG in a while? I have not within the last sevral months.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I spun the yagi a bit from SW Delco and still had 11 Opensky carriers/freq's. They'll get to the kill switch eventually I suppose.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but the OpenSky system has been officially shut down as of roughly a month ago. Some sites were unable to be shut down remotely, and so they may still be spitting some RF out, but the system is no longer actively used.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I spun the yagi a bit from SW Delco and still had 11 Opensky carriers/freq's. They'll get to the kill switch eventually I suppose.

I came across three cell sites up north recently that were still buzzing away...passed many others that were dead, though. You'd think they would just have the electric company kill the power to the sites. The ones I passed that were still buzzing were just the wooden monopoles along roads...just a small box and an electric meter at the bottom of the pole, so it's not like the power to the site is running anything else.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I came across three cell sites up north recently that were still buzzing away...passed many others that were dead, though. You'd think they would just have the electric company kill the power to the sites. The ones I passed that were still buzzing were just the wooden monopoles along roads...just a small box and an electric meter at the bottom of the pole, so it's not like the power to the site is running anything else.
Not the States money, they don’t care.

talviar

Interesting concept on this one.... PRobably did request power company do a disconnect.... so.... power company shows on account that its no longer in service.... doesn't send any one out to physically pull the meter. Seen it lots of times and even confirmed with the power company that the account is no longer active....

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
With the WEST03 700 A/G site offline, what will the aircraft (PSP/PA ANG) over Westmoreland County use? I have yet to see a helicopter come up on a VHF site, and the ALLE21 site barely reaches 6-7 miles, there isn't another 700/800 site anywhere close that they could come up on.

redbeard

Database Admin
With the WEST03 700 A/G site offline, what will the aircraft (PSP/PA ANG) over Westmoreland County use? I have yet to see a helicopter come up on a VHF site, and the ALLE21 site barely reaches 6-7 miles, there isn't another 700/800 site anywhere close that they could come up on.
6-7 on the ground maybe but the uptilt on the antennas probably makes the range in the air much farther.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
6-7 on the ground maybe but the uptilt on the antennas probably makes the range in the air much farther.
There's not going to be any uptilt to antennas at sites that were designed for ground coverage, which ALLE21 was. If anything, they get downtilted (mechanical or electrical). That said, the range is going to be much greater at altitude vs on the ground.

redbeard

Database Admin
Oh I wasn't paying attention and was thinking the ALLE site was another 700a/g. I should know better, I'm the one who put it in the DB. Still, on the VHF antennas they are using they likely have pretty good coverage in the air being line of sight.

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
DOH or PEMA have been doing a lot of human voice counts on TG 13156 with various 167xxxx ID's the last couple days.