Paul Opitz passes away at age 59 after his battle with cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearMan54

When they first came out with the Home Patrol, I found some bugs in the firmware so I sent Paul a message and must to my surprise I became one the testers of the firmware before it was released to the public...... Paul and I would talk quite often, sure enjoyed his calls..... One heck of a nice guy.....!

RIP my friend

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much to you, Paul. You did so much for so many here, including myself. Your information and abilities will be greatly missed.

brettbolt

I read his Throat Blog on the massivelyuninformed site and was inspired by his courage through his battle.

His last blog entry was on Dec 13th and I kept checking back to read the next one. His last words in the blog were "Wish me luck."

So sad.

Rest in peace Paul.

Valeriy

I have been away from this site for many weeks so I don't noticed the sad news before.
His passing away is a harsh loss.
Condolences to his relatives, colleagues, and friends.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Ugh. I'm away from the hobby for what... three years or so... and I come back to this.

This is really, really, sad news. Paul was social media savvy before there it was cool and prevalent. And a real aid to our community.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'll say a prayer from him and his family tonight.

Sigh!

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Indeed, so sad for our scanner community and especially Paul's family & friends. I know firsthand, cancer sucks... I've been through the multiple rounds of chemo, radiation, too numerous procedures and surgeries to count, and it is an agonizing and dreadful thing. Thankfully, as of this past Sunday I'm 10 years cancer free... I just wish our friend Paul could say the same some day. RIP UPMan.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I've been away for a while, came back a few days ago, and found this.

I don't know why this is not at the top of the page.

No one knew more and did more for Uniden Scanners than Paul. As busy as this man must have been, he actually answered a few of my questions personally. He loved what he did !

I can't say no more now. I know Paul is in Peace. In fact, I would suggest he is trying to to convert Heaven to add DMR.

At the very least, a forum with his name on is only more than proper. Greg

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Today, Saturday February 15, would have been Paul's birthday. He continues to be missed from these forums.

I understand from his Facebook page that his celebration of life went as well as such things could and that Uniden did a remarkable job of remembering him then.

ASE

I just received word that Paul Opitz (UPMan) passed away Saturday from his
long battle with cancer. He was surrounded by family when he passed.

That is all the news I have at this time.

To say he will be missed is an understatement.
:cry: I am very sorry to hear about the passing of Paul Opitz. This is so sad. My condolences to everyone here and his family.

zerosix

Very sad news, I saw this quite late after some inactivity from the forum for a while.. Paul was an icon in the scanner community and I’ve always enjoyed reading his contributions here. ( this is my new account but I have been active here since the very beginning) Very sad he passed still so young. I wish his family strength !

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
I somehow missed this news when it was first posted and just reading about Paul's passing now. I always enjoyed reading his updates and hints about forthcoming radios. I've been a Uniden fan for many years mostly due to Paul's passion to get out the best possible scanners. RIP Paul. Prayers for his family.

snerd

Listening.....
Oh man. My condolences. I’ve been away for a couple of years, and had not heard. Yes, a great loss to the community here and Uniden. Godspeed sir, and Rest In Peace.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just so folks know there is a very recent thread started on the Uniden Tavern addressing the one year anniversary of his passing. This is an old thread.

Tremendous loss for his family, this community and his employer.

Ubbe

Paul gave you the feeling that he was your personal friend and would do his upmost to help you out. There are others who shared his passion for the scanner hobby but he was at a unique position that he managed to make a difference to the scanner community. There will probably never again be another one like him, with that kind of passion, at that high level of a position in a company.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.