• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming a Minitor Pager on the Cheap - DIY Style Write Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!

This worked flawlessly - what a fantastic idea. I really appreciate you posting this!!!

JJones27320

Premium Subscriber
I just made mine out of the RS scanner plug and downloaded the Minitor IV Dos version of the software, but I was wondering if anyone has a copy of the windows based minitor IV software they could email me.

theman21

I just built This. I used all of the items listed and when I go to program the scanner programmer light blinks red once and it says failed for scanning the codeplug.

rogo43

I really need to get one of these, but I'm not about to spend 300 on the actual cradle. Would anyone be willing to make a simple one for me and I'll send you some money via PayPal? It would be a huge help as I'm not great with soldering and all.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I really need to get one of these, but I'm not about to spend 300 on the actual cradle. Would anyone be willing to make a simple one for me and I'll send you some money via PayPal? It would be a huge help as I'm not great with soldering and all.
Uh, the Motorola programming cradle kit list price is $224. There is also an after market kit available for $135 from minitorprogramming.com

Dunno where you got the $300 figure from, but it's a bit high.

jaymez99

Has anyone tried to use an 8 pin Kenwood programming cable for this? I have a USB 8 pin RJ-45 kenwood programming cable (KPG-46 I believe). I am not quite sure what the pinout is on it. Anyone have any ideas on the pinout of that cable, and if this would be possible?

Can't get it to program

hello,
I am trying to get this to work. I have it hooked to my old desktop computer with a serial port. A chief of a local fire department has the motorola purchased programming stand. I have hooked that to my computer and successfully programmed my pager.

I am attempting to do this with the acroname rs232 to ttl converter shown below
Serial Interface Connector

I have 3 wires hooked into it. tx, rx, and ground. I touched those wires to the appropriate pin holes on my pager. My pager IS in programming mode. I cannot get it to communicate. I have tried reversing the tx and rx wires. Still no luck.

Has anyone actually used the acroname connector? Is there any reason that I NEED to have the 3.5mm jack? I simply plug the acroname converter into my serial port and then touch the wires to the pins. Is there something else that I need here?

Remember, I know my software, settings, and serial port are good because I read and programmed my pager through that port earlier today (with the actual motorola unit). But I can't get mine to work.

Nysff

Cant this be done with just a plain ol USB Cable? just attached the correct wires to the correct pins?

Update:

I got my pager to program. I ended up using a usb to ttl cable from super droid robots.com. Here is the link to the cable I used:
USB to TTL 72in Serial Converter Cable

I cut the ttl adapter off the end leaving just standard wires

I just attached the green, yellow, and black wires to pins from a radio shack connector. Here is the connector:
25-Position Male Crimp D-Sub Connector - RadioShack.com

I tested multiple times until I got it to work. I used device manager to change my baud rate to 1200. I run windows 7 64 bit and windows automatically installed the drivers for the cable. I changed the usb delay in the program to 5 seconds and I still couldn't get it to work.

I then went back into device manager and clicked "advanced" and changed two things:
1. USB transfer size. I changed both to 1024
2. Lowered bm options to 10

PHOTO Attached of the advanced settings.

I then tried again and got it to work.

Once It worked I started to build it into an old charger stand. Because I was given a charger that was bad I didn't need to make it function as a charger and a programmer. Since I didn't need that option I removed the board from it. I then took a large channel lock and removed the plastic pin holders from the charger. (twist and pull). This is tough to explain, but I ended up making the holes flush with the rest of the pager (as viewed from the inside of it). I took my 3 wires with pins and placed them through the proper holes. I put my pager in (which then pushed the 3 pins back down a bit) and tested. It worked. Once I knew that my method worked, I took the pager back out, pushed the pins back in. Put the pager back in (pushing the pins slightly back out) and held everything in place. I then Hot glued the wires into place. I will attach a photo of the hot glued pins also. Once the first (minimal) layer of glue dried i tested one more time. Still worked so I then proceeded to fill the inside with hot glue so that no tension would be put on my wires.

There is only one minor issue that I have with my design. Because the pins are no longer spring loaded like the stock ones, I sometimes have to push the pager down slightly while reading it or writing to it. This could be solved my placing a dime on either side of the pins (underneath the pager) when you go to hot glue the pins. This would make the pager sit slightly higher and therefore make the pins go slightly higher up also.

I spend many hours of frustration on this project. Now that I have made it work I hope that my write up will help others! If you have questions please ask I will do my best to help.

Summary of my setup:
Usb to TTL cable
Charger that no longer functioned
Pins from a radio shack MALE d sub connector
hot glue!
Windows 7 64 bit
Hp laptop

NOTE: I am running this program "as an administrator". Don't know if it makes a difference or not. I DIDN"T make it run in compatibility mode though!

Attachments

• Advanced Settings.JPG
    Advanced Settings.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,882
  • pager photo 1.JPG
    pager photo 1.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,162
Cant this be done with just a plain ol USB Cable? just attached the correct wires to the correct pins?

NO! It was explained to me like this.....Usb and rs232 (serial) send signals out at specific voltages. Those voltages are not the correct voltages needed to program a pager. A ttl signal is 3.8volts or something like that. A usb to ttl converter cable is needed to send the proper voltage

That is how it was explained to me!

Nysff

Just dont wanna fry it thats all. No One Local to me has these items so I guess I have to wait to order em :(

Status
Not open for further replies.