WS1040: Programming a talkgroup help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erojas

Hello I am new to the scanner world! I just recently got a Whistler WS1040! My local police agency just updated to an digital trunked system. I have set up talk groups and I hear nothing. I am able to hear my local fire department and other agencies using frequencies perfectly. I have entered the talk group decimal and set it to P25 auto. Am I missing something? Do I need frequencies too?

My local agency is Hayward PD.

If it's digital you'll need to define what tower(s) you want the scanner to connect to. Most likely the tower closest to you in the county that you want to listen. Find the control frequency in the database, listed in color with a c after it. Don't include the "c" with the frequency. Your talk groups should then work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erojas

If it's digital you'll need to define what tower(s) you want the scanner to connect to. Most likely the tower closest to you in the county that you want to listen. Find the control frequency in the database, listed in color with a c after it. Don't include the "c" with the frequency. Your talk groups should then work.

Thanks for the help! Is it the red and blue frequencies? How do I know which to use?

I'm not familiar with your area, looking in the database I'm assuming you're in California, correct?

Hopefully someone from your area can chime in.

I would say, based on your location, find the tower in the database that is close to your location where you will be scanning from, assuming you're going to be scanning at home. As far as the frequencies it's mixed across the board kinda by preference and what works better for each individual. Red is control, blue is alternate. Personally, I add all the red and blue frequencies per site to the scanner. Appears some of your sites have multiple control and alternate channels. Try just those for the site you choose, send the programming and see how it works. You should pickup the talkgroups.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Red (c) are primary control channels | Blue (a) are alternate control channels | Site Map(s): FCC Callsigns RR Locations

erojas

I'm not familiar with your area, looking in the database I'm assuming you're in California, correct?

Hopefully someone from your area can chime in.

I would say, based on your location, find the tower in the database that is close to your location where you will be scanning from, assuming you're going to be scanning at home. As far as the frequencies it's mixed across the board kinda by preference and what works better for each individual. Red is control, blue is alternate. Personally, I add all the red and blue frequencies per site to the scanner. Appears some of your sites have multiple control and alternate channels. Try just those for the site you choose, send the programming and see how it works. You should pickup the talkgroups.

Thanks! I have added the nearest one to me and nothing yet. Do I just add one or multiple? I have both the frequency and the decimal number. Is that it?

Thanks! I have added the nearest one to me and nothing yet. Do I just add one or multiple? I have both the frequency and the decimal number. Is that it?

Which site did you use? Input the blue and red frequencies for the site you selected.

erojas

Which site did you use? Input the blue and red frequencies for the site you selected.

In the manual under icons there is one that says "the scanner is currently receiving trunking control data." Would that have to do with something?

In the manual under icons there is one that says "the scanner is currently receiving trunking control data." Would that have to do with something?

Save your settings from the programming software and attach it to the board. I believe you'll have to put it in a .zip file to upload it here. We can then examine your configuration and maybe help you out a little better.

erojas

Save your settings from the programming software and attach it to the board. I believe you'll have to put it in a .zip file to upload it here. We can then examine your configuration and maybe help you out a little better.

Oh I'm not using the software. I don't have the extra money right now. My zip code is 94545.

Oh I'm not using the software. I don't have the extra money right now. My zip code is 94545.

If you have the programming cable go to:

http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Win500/

They give you a 30 day evaluation period to test out the software. That would get you programmed tonight. I would recommend buying it when you get the money. It's so much easier to program on the computer than by hand on the scanner.

erojas

If you have the programming cable go to:

Win500: WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-651, PRO-652, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

They give you a 30 day evaluation period to test out the software. That would get you programmed tonight. I would recommend buying it when you get the money. It's so much easier to program on the computer than by hand on the scanner.

Okay thanks for the help! So there is no way without the software? I'll try that tomorrow in the morning!

Okay thanks for the help! So there is no way without the software? I'll try that tomorrow in the morning!

No, you can program it without software. I personally feel that it's much easier with the software. Plus, if you run into issues you can always share your config file with the board and someone can show you what's incorrect in your programming. Let us know how you do tomorrow.

erojas

No, you can program it without software. I personally feel that it's much easier with the software. Plus, if you run into issues you can always share your config file with the board and someone can show you what's incorrect in your programming. Let us know how you do tomorrow.

Okay I see. Thanks for the help!! I'll try the software version tomorrow morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.