Programming BC780 Question 4 SAC/SMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1NDF

I am trying to set up two BC780 scanners. I notice in the Data Base for Sacramento that it lists two systems..... a City system and a County system...... The problem is the Talk Group IDs do not seem to say which system goes with which Talk Groups. If I understand correctly ( or do I ? ) the City system will only decode City Talk groups ... and the County system decodes only the County Talk Groups. The list of Talk Groups doesn't seem to specify which talk groups go with which system. Can someone help me with this ?

ALSO ...Can someone that is experienced with the Uniden BC780 Trunktracker tell me if I can put all the Freq for the two systems in one bank will it scna all Talk Group from the one bank?

My 780 program actually utilizes 4 banks. I like to have my fire/ems separate from law enforcement. Thus it goes something like this
Bank 1 - Site 1 Fire/EMS
Bank 2 - Site 2 Fire/EMS
Bank 3 - Site 1 Law Enforcement
Bank 4 - Site 2 Law Enforcement

Note that I put all the same talk groups in both banks (ie: Bank 1 and 2 will have the different site frequencies, but all the talkgroups are programmed identically in both banks since I'm not sure what group uses what site.)

I do not believe it is possible to put two sites in one bank, but with Sacramento's very large TRS, who would want to :)

Hope this helps

Sac916

I am trying to set up two BC780 scanners. I notice in the Data Base for Sacramento that it lists two systems..... a City system and a County system...... The problem is the Talk Group IDs do not seem to say which system goes with which Talk Groups. If I understand correctly ( or do I ? ) the City system will only decode City Talk groups ... and the County system decodes only the County Talk Groups. The list of Talk Groups doesn't seem to specify which talk groups go with which system. Can someone help me with this ?

ALSO ...Can someone that is experienced with the Uniden BC780 Trunktracker tell me if I can put all the Freq for the two systems in one bank will it scna all Talk Group from the one bank?

Greetings,

Here is a recent thread covering some of your questions about Site 001 and Site 002.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116132

The Talk Groups associate to Site 001 and 002 based on the radio systems programmed "home" location and "roaming" - so as stated in this older thread post, you'll find the Talk Groups on both Site 001 and Site 002. At times, you can find Talk Groups exclusive to Site 001 and Site 002 so it's best to duplicate the Talk Groups to both sites. ( yeah, a bit of work and use of memory space )

As for the 780, I have owned this very scanner since it was released. Truly a fantastic scanner.
Keep one system for one bank. You can duplicate Talk Groups from bank to bank, but split up Site 001 and Site 002 to seperate banks. Multi-site scanning is a bit tedious at times for older scanners, but there are definite strides to improve the method and functionality of multi-site trunk scanning on future scanners.

On the title of your post you put SMF - Did you have a question about Sac International Airport?

There are A LOT of Sacramento folks on this forum - so keep the questions coming if you got them.

-Ant-

http://www.scansacramento.com
sacramento public safety notification system

N1NDF

Thanks For Info another question ... maybe two ...

Thanks for your help.
It seems like a waste to double up talkgroups ...across 2 banks. Not sure I like this idea. I tried putting the IDs in both banks prior to your response and this seemed to work. Anyways is there any way to know whick talkgroups are ... site dependent ? ( other than the OBVIOUS trying it )
Also I want to reprogram my scanners so I can turn off the noisey traffic channels .... but still be alerted when something is happening. The Helicopter ( STAR ) seems to be the most common denominator for action. or the ALERT "BEEPER"

Every so often ... When something big is going down ....they( the police ) use an alert tone.
What is this tone/ beeper ( anybody know what this freq is ? ). Is there a way to mute the radio until this tone is present ? Or to start recording as soon as the alert tone is heard ? This would be nice feature for any scanner ...

I've got information overload. All the dispatching ... records checks ... etc gets old after awhile and I want to quiet things down without missing the exciting events ....especially in my local nieghborhood. Any IDEAS ?

5150 ... 4 ... for Excitement ! DE N1NDF ( former SAC - SMF Employee)

Greetings,

Here is a recent thread covering some of your questions about Site 001 and Site 002.

The Talk Groups associate to Site 001 and 002 based on the radio systems programmed "home" location and "roaming" - so as stated in this older thread post, you'll find the Talk Groups on both Site 001 and Site 002. At times, you can find Talk Groups exclusive to Site 001 and Site 002 so it's best to duplicate the Talk Groups to both sites. ( yeah, a bit of work and use of memory space )

As for the 780, I have owned this very scanner since it was released. Truly a fantastic scanner.
Keep one system for one bank. You can duplicate Talk Groups from bank to bank, but split up Site 001 and Site 002 to seperate banks. Multi-site scanning is a bit tedious at times for older scanners, but there are definite strides to improve the method and functionality of multi-site trunk scanning on future scanners.

On the title of your post you put SMF - Did you have a question about Sac International Airport?

There are A LOT of Sacramento folks on this forum - so keep the questions coming if you got them.

-Ant-

N1NDF

Thanks For Info another question ... maybe two ...

Thanks for your help.
It seems like a waste to double up talkgroups ...across 2 banks. Not sure I like this idea. I tried putting the IDs in both banks prior to your response and this seemed to work. Anyways is there any way to know whick talkgroups are ... site dependent ? ( other than the OBVIOUS trying it )
Also I want to reprogram my scanners so I can turn off the noisey traffic channels .... but still be alerted when something is happening. The Helicopter ( STAR ) seems to be the most common denominator for action. or the ALERT "BEEPER"

Every so often ... When something big is going down ....they( the police ) use an alert tone.
What is this tone/ beeper ( anybody know what this freq is ? ). Is there a way to mute the radio until this tone is present ? Or to start recording as soon as the alert tone is heard ? This would be nice feature for any scanner ...

I've got information overload. All the dispatching ... records checks ... etc gets old after awhile and I want to quiet things down without missing the exciting events ....especially in my local nieghborhood. Any IDEAS ?

5150 ... 4 ... for Excitement ! DE N1NDF ( former SAC - SMF Employee)

Greetings,

-Ant-

Sac916

Thanks for your help.
Anyways is there any way to know whick talkgroups are ... site dependent ? ( other than the OBVIOUS trying it )

(basically)
Site 001 is Sac PD, Elk Grove PD, Sac City Fire, Sac City Govt, West Sac PD Fire & Govt.
All the rest on Site 002 with a few on both.

That is the very basic set up. There are a lot of factors that go into why and when a Talk Group is broadcasted on Site 001 / 002. Primarily it is dependent on where the mobile/portable radios are roaming and broadcasting.

The only way to turn off "busy" radio channels is by using the Lock Out function. It's all up to you when this is applied. No scanner on the market is able to determine what is worth listening to or not. It wouldn't surprise me if in the future a trunking scanner could alert to when a specific single radio keys up - each trunked radio (portable/mobile/station) has it's own unique "hidden" identifier.

Beeper, Air Clear marker, Emergency Tone, Alert Tone, 10-33, etc
The purpose of this tone is to announce that the radio channel is dedicated to priority traffic only. Generally to one specific event. It designates that all routine, non-priority radio traffic must yield to the emergent situation in progress. It's a method to control the flow and tempo of radio traffic.

How does it work? Kinda depends on the type of radio system and complexity but basically it is simply a function that keys up the radio and emits a user defined tone. Nothing too fancy or special about it aside from some simple computer software/hardware. There really isn't a standard at all. Some agencies don't even use it, but simply announce it verbally.

I've never heard of any scanner or software that can identify the "tone" and control the behaviour of the scanner. However, some scanners do have the ability to control their behaviour based on Fire Tone Outs/Pages and Severe Weather warnings. The 780 has a feature for S.A.M.E. Weather Alerts
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC780XLT

As for the "beeper" - Since there is no standard protocol for it's use, it would be nearly impossible to have a scanner that is controlled by this particular tone.

I guess that's why they call it "scanning" and "monitoring" not "alerting" ha!

Well for the larger agencies it's about 85% routine and 10% interesting and 5% exciting. For smaller agencies that do all their record checks on primary channels, it's about 90% routine and 5% interesting and 5% exciting.

Listening to a scanner on a Friday/Saturday night - the exciting and interesting % increases.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sacramento TRS monitoring

(basically)
Site 001 is Sac PD, Elk Grove PD, Sac City Fire, Sac City Govt, West Sac PD Fire & Govt.
All the rest on Site 002 with a few on both
I pick up Sac City PD (at least channels 1-6), Elk Grove PD & West Sac PD fine from site 002. I also pick up the "dispatch" & "command" fire channels (such as B1-B5) from site 002.

I recommend determining WHAT you want to hear, make a list of those talk groups (TGs). Program the list of TGs for each site. Then with the Unidens you need 2 banks, one for each site (although that is not a bad idea for GRE users). I've found separating TGs into more than one bank for the same site (active control channel) causes missed communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.