Programming help/advice Uniden 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Hello folks, I'm having a very difficult time programming the Uniden 996XT, in fact I'm completely clueless. I have done the best I can with both ARC-XT and Freescan. When I compile everything to send to the scanner everything filed under S0:1 which I assume is the quick key. So it's not following any conversation. So I changed the quick key values around using ARC-XT, I had a little luck with the quick keys for a short time. Now it's receiving nothing but interference, data squelch burst mostly or CHES MDT data. Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I would like to know if it's possible to program the 996XT so it will operate (listen) similar to the Uniden Home Patrol?

I have all the tools, cables, software and subscriptions but I don't have the knowledge to make it work. I appreciate any help, I would like to properly configure this before more extreme weather hits the area.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You can start here - this article has links to everything you need to know to get you started. The Easier to Read manuals are also linked here, as well as information on trunking... (links are always blue)

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

It would be helpful if we knew what system(s) in Virginia you're trying to program...Mike

Delta

Thanks for the reply, I'm attempting to program the following Cities in Virginia. 1. Chesapeake 2. Portsmouth 3. Norfolk 4. Virginia Beach (and possibly a couple more).

In my own exploration, I can send just "Chesapeake" to the scanner to test things out but something seems off. Compared to another scanner or the Home Patrol, mine isn't tracking the majority conversation. Usually it sticks on the "Ches MDT" so I lock that out. I attempted adjusting the P25 filter values. The default value was 11, and I tried 08 as a youtube video suggested. I believe I have made a mistake. I'm not sure how to find the correct values that is suitable for the area.

Thanks.

teufler

chesapeake file

here is a small file for just Chesapeake. sent to see if its tracking. you have conventional, city and ham, then trunking.File is a Freesan file that is zipped.

Attachments

• chesapeake.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 75

Delta

Thank you for the help. I uploaded the Chesapeake file to the scanner in Freescan. I'm experiencing the issue again where it picks up the 853.78750c (red) control channel and several others, which I can hear is data burst. *Static - Chirp - Static - Chirp* sadly the data sounds are all I pick up 98% 1% CPD East / dispatch.

teufler

file

OK iI'm done so sending the file. now I'm also checking the settings on Chesapeake. The static chirp static chirp sounds like a system that the 996 and 396 can not get, like TRBO . We have a couple in in the area, they sort of pulse every couple of minutes. now if the scanner just has a buzzing raspy sound, we are not in trunking, like the 780xlt does when I'm loading a new file.

so this file, same name but larger.

Attachments

• chesapeake.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 76

Delta

Thanks I'll upload it now. I can record a decent clear video of the screen and provide a link to that or email it to you. Maybe you can understand why it does this.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
If you are picking up data on the control channels it sounds like you may have those systems programmed as conventional instead of trunked. The scanner will monitor the control channel to determine what frequencies to switch to but it should not stop on the control channels.

You will also want to delete any Data, MDT, or MOTOTRBO frequencies. Your scanner will continue to stop on them if not. You will not receive any voice on them anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.