• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Range for Baofeng FRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrogen18

Hello, I am interested in buying these Baofeng FRS radios for my friends and I as some of them are taking an interest in radio and they would all like a way for us to communicate basically using radio at a reasonable price. I am wondering how much I can expect for range, and yes, I am aware that it is hard to get an exact measurement due to line of sight conditions, but I am hoping for a general estimate. I live in Long Island, NY, so the terrain is pretty fair. I am expecting for these radios to get 5-10 miles in range but I could be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-8...qid=1491355744&sr=1-4&keywords=walkie+talkies

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
They won't get anywhere near that kind of range. In addition, they are not legal for FRS service in this country. Having said that, many people use them.

nd5y

Those are not FRS radios. They are not Part 95 certified would not be legal to use on FRS or GMRS frequencies.

They transmit at about 2 watts. The range would be about the same as any other UHF hand held radio. I doubt you would get 5-10 miles unless it was over open water.

Rred

Hydrogen, every legal FRS radio has the same range, no matter what the box says. They are all limited to 1/2 watt of power and AFAIK none use any other power level.

"Range" for any handheld basically means "clear line of sight" and even on LI that will be a couple of blocks at best--if there are any buildings or trees in between the two. The only way you will get more range is with more powerful radios, bigger antennas, and one or both parties being elevated to increase the effective line of sight.

Beware the Chinese radios sold with confusing descriptions on Amazon and elsewhere, they don't care if you wind up getting a letter from the FCC that asks you for a couple of grand in penalties.

DHAS12

Hello, I am interested in buying these Baofeng FRS radios for my friends and I as some of them are taking an interest in radio and they would all like a way for us to communicate basically using radio at a reasonable price. I am wondering how much I can expect for range, and yes, I am aware that it is hard to get an exact measurement due to line of sight conditions, but I am hoping for a general estimate. I live in Long Island, NY, so the terrain is pretty fair. I am expecting for these radios to get 5-10 miles in range but I could be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-8...qid=1491355744&sr=1-4&keywords=walkie+talkies

I have read reviews about the radios you linked where people claim they got 2 miles out of them. 4-5 would be difficult to achieve, especially if there are trees, buildings, terrain etc.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I have 5 Baofeng radios. I've tried them on
Low Wattage, Medium, and High.
The best you can expect from these radios
on simplex is about 1 mile +/-. With a GMRS license
you can use repeaters and increase your range 10 to 20x

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
1 mile HT-to-HT is about average max range for any 5-watt HT, Baofeng or otherwise. You may get more going hilltop to hilltop with a clear line of sight in between, and you may get less if one of the radios is in a building or valley.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I should have also mentioned that it really depends on
how you want the radios to work and where.

We take a family trip to an amusement park in PA
every year called Knoebel's. It's is an amusement park
seated literally in a mountain gorge. The park is huge (sort
of like a 6 flags park) Our Baofengs work just fine in the park
on simplex GMRS channels. Even tried them from one corner to the
opposite and they worked. We stay at a campground called
Yogi Bear and the Baofengs, with a Nagoya NA-771 telescoping
antenna, is able to reach a repeater approx. 15-20 miles away.
However, here at home in South Jersey, the radios only work about
3-4 blocks on simplex.

These radios are not even close to real "ham" radios. They're
probably closer to an upgraded version of walkie talkie for
playing GI Joe in the woods. But for the money they can be a blessing.
Mine are used ONLY for: cruises, camping trips, and amusement parks

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The OP said he was buying "these Beofeng FRS radios." He can't legally use them for FRS, regardless of how far they can or can't transmit. FRS radios can't have detachable antennae, they can't be programmable, they're too powerful, etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseum. That was noted early on and the OP said he understood it.

KD8DVR

These aren't FRS radios. These radios are made for Licensed amateur radio operators. You cannot legally operate these radios without an Amateur Radio license. Those radios were advertised incorrectly...as often happens online.

Sconnick

I think the even bigger concern is people who take them out of the box and start using them on whatever frequencies that they come programmed with from the factory. In my experience, it's generally a mix of VHF and UHF, and a variety of CTCSS/DTCSS/Inverted DTCSS. There are certainly plenty of people who purchase these, then program them with FRS and GMRS frequencies. While certainly not legal, at least they're not just hurling emissions completely at random.

Oh, I forgot, for the OP: yeah, those will work a few blocks at most.

n5ims

One company posted a picture detailing the various range calculations for their FRS radios (those very optimistic 35+ mile range ones) that I happened to catch during the week or so it was posted (they pulled it quickly once it was discovered on their public web site). It showed how the typical range was a mile or two in the typical conditions, but in special situations could be much greater. That 35+ mile range was from the peak of one mountain to the peak of another with just a valley in between.

You could also tell from careful examination of the picture that the "good, better, best" ranges on their various radios was simply due to where they placed the two radios for testing. The "good" radios were from the valley to a ridge on that mountain and had about 10 mile range. The "better" radios were from the valley to the mountain top and had about 25 mile range. The best was from peak to peak and had that 35+ mile range. This tended to prove that the range wasn't really due to the more expensive radios themselves but more to how they were tested. Somewhat like comparing the MPG of the car you sell with your competition "over the same course", but your car was going down the mountain and the other was driving up. Not a fair comparison, but technically a legal comparison as indicated (although important facts were definitely left out).

Hydrogen18

I think the even bigger concern is people who take them out of the box and start using them on whatever frequencies that they come programmed with from the factory. In my experience, it's generally a mix of VHF and UHF, and a variety of CTCSS/DTCSS/Inverted DTCSS. There are certainly plenty of people who purchase these, then program them with FRS and GMRS frequencies. While certainly not legal, at least they're not just hurling emissions completely at random.

Oh, I forgot, for the OP: yeah, those will work a few blocks at most.

Thank you, I expected way too much out of those.

Sconnick

Thank you, I expected way too much out of those.

No sweat! Just landed up here in Westchester - looks like it's getting a little misty on the Island - especially the west end. Kennedy showing 3 miles vis and low ceilings! Stay dry tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.