n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Nice to know Uniden has a couple of scanners in the pipeline. But that being said, they are restricted. And the price point (which is purely a guess at this point) doesn’t support spending the amount of money for the scanner plus the two subscriptions necessary to fully enjoy the scanner’s capability. For my money, putting that cost towards a new fully capable SDS100/200 or BCD996P2/BCD325P2 is the way to go. Because a fully capable scanner allows for everything available if and when the need arises… something most scanner enthusiasts will eventually strive for. That being said, yes, there are those who are fully aware of what they want or need, mostly due to years of monitoring certain services or agencies, and the new offerings fit the bill… there is just no interest in the rest. To those I say go for it, save a couple of bucks and get just what you want or need. I just hope prospective buyers do their due diligence BEFORE they make a purchase and learn after the fact it doesn’t do what they thought it would!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Agree, for its limited capability, it is not something I would go with personally. Reading the descriptions on both the Bearcat Warehouse and ScannerMaster sites, it would appear that DMR and NXDN are included in the listed price. However, as already discussed, the lack of P25 and trunking does limit its utility. Buying the mode upgrades for my current SDS200 would be more cost efficient, though in reality there is nothing in those two modes locally that I am interested in presently.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why TRUNKING is not available, at least for NXDN on these radios. In my area NXDN is not widely used and mostly used for bus companies and radio-phone communications.....not much of anything interesting. And some of the NXDN users are on small trunked systems. But to be limited to DMR/NXDN single frequency, especially on NXDN isn't worth the bother. The local Railroads are all still using conventional. It would make more sense (and cheaper) to just upgrade my BCD996P2 radios to NXDN/DMR!

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Entry level for users who don't need P25 or trunking like ham radio or railfans.

There are also many conventional digital users out there.

Video said "hopefully this year". I'm expecting them this month. I was hoping they would be out before Christmas. I didn't figure that would happen, but it would have been nice. No, I still do not have pricing info.

On one hand I hear complaints about too many features in a scanner (waterfall) and on the other hand I hear complaints about not enough (P25/trunking).

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Well as the old saying goes - "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

But for me, $1000 inside the box would please me every time! :)

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
And you'll probably have complaints even if you offered $1000 inside every scanner box :)

In another thread, I posted that Uniden could include a gold bar in the box and someone would complain about it being too heavy.

Of course I didn't specify the size of the bar, but I was thinking one of those 400 oz ones. (2" x 4" x 11")

trp2525

...I'm expecting them this month. I was hoping they would be out before Christmas. I didn't figure that would happen, but it would have been nice. No, I still do not have pricing info...
I find it interesting that @JoeBearcat, the "Official Uniden Representative" and "Uniden Scanner Product Manager" posts here on Radio Reference on Wednesday evening, 01-10-2024, at 9:49 PM (EST) that "I still do not have pricing info." When I checked the Uniden.com website on Tuesday, 01-09-2024 (the day before JoeBearcat's RR post #5 above), the prices were already posted for both the BCD160DN and the BCD260DN. Is this a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Uniden or do they intentionally keep their "official" representative in the dark on such matters???

Here are the links to the current pricing info at Uniden.com if you want to have a look for yourself:
BCD160DN handheld $249.99 with FREE U.S. shipping
BCD260DN base/mobile $349.99 with FREE U.S. shipping

As of today, Scanner Master (links to BCD160DN and BCD260DN), Zip Scanners (links to BCD160DN and BCD260DN) and Bearcat Warehouse (links to BCD160DN and BCD260DN) are all showing the same exact pricing as Uniden.com on both new models so that must be the "official" pricing currently sanctioned/recommended by Uniden. Or is it just a coincidence???

For those wanting to place their order(s) RIGHT NOW, Zip Scanners and Bearcat Warehouse are currently accepting backorders for both scanners. Zip Scanners (FREE shipping on orders over $99 to the lower 48 states) has posted an expected shipping date of "February 2024" while Bearcat Warehouse (FREE shipping on orders over $200) states an expected shipping date of "March 2024." FWIW

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
In another thread, I posted that Uniden could include a gold bar in the box and someone would complain about it being too heavy.
Of course I didn't specify the size of the bar, but I was thinking one of those 400 oz ones. (2" x 4" x 11")
That would be a field day for porch pirates. While I am waiting for my gold bar, can you please fix the downloads for the BCD160DN and BCD260DN manuals. The BCD260DN manual in English comes up as the BCD260DN in French. The BCD160DN in English comes up as the BCD260DN in English. All of the BCD160DN manuals come up as BCD260DN. There are no BCD160DN manuals available. Thanks!

phask

Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting that @JoeBearcat, the "Official Uniden Representative" and "Uniden Scanner Product Manager" posts here on Radio Reference on Wednesday evening, 01-10-2024, at 9:49 PM (EST) that "I still do not have pricing info." When I checked the Uniden.com website on Tuesday, 01-09-2024 (the day before JoeBearcat's RR post #5 above), the prices were already posted for both the BCD160DN and the BCD260DN. Is this a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Uniden or do they intentionally keep their "official" representative in the dark on such matters???

Here are the links to the current pricing info at Uniden.com if you want to have a look for yourself:
BCD160DN handheld $249.99 with FREE U.S. shipping
BCD260DN base/mobile $349.99 with FREE U.S. shipping

As of today, Scanner Master (links to BCD160DN and BCD260DN), Zip Scanners (links to BCD160DN and BCD260DN) and Bearcat Warehouse (links to BCD160DN and BCD260DN) are all showing the same exact pricing as Uniden.com on both new models so that must be the "official" pricing currently sanctioned/recommended by Uniden. Or is it just a coincidence???

For those wanting to place their order(s) RIGHT NOW, Zip Scanners and Bearcat Warehouse are currently accepting backorders for both scanners. Zip Scanners (FREE shipping on orders over $99 to the lower 48 states) has posted an expected shipping date of "February 2024" while Bearcat Warehouse (FREE shipping on orders over $200) states an expected shipping date of "March 2024." FWIW
Typical for those working in Industry.

Left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, this looks to me more like a kickass aircraft/railroad scanner, and there is a market in the scanner world for that. And if I’m not mistaken, DMR and NXDN are already in the radios, Not everyone who uses a scanner is into public safety, trunking, etc. Lots of railfans and aircraft enthusiasts use them, and these radios would be perfect.