Roaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
I've been wondering, using the either a kenwood nexedge or icom IDAS system, with IP networked repeaters, is there any reason why the radios wouldnt roam from tower to tower such as what you would see in commercial system?

Last edited:

kb0rpj

Feed Provider
that brings up a neat idea, regional networks of NXDN repeaters linked together, and the user never has to change channel so long as they are in coverage?

stevelton

The problem with this idea is this: the operators must ID their transmitter on the frequency it is transmitting on.
If you transmit, then unkey to let the other guy talk, then when you go to key up to respond, your radio auto roamed to change to a better repeater, you could potentially transmit on a different frequency, and failed to ID on the first freq.

This is the problem also with putting a trunked system on Ham as well. The user wouldnt know that his radio changed frequency, and therefore wouldnt have properly IDed.
About the only way to stay legal would be to ID at the end of EVERY transmission, but that would get old real quick...
Steven

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If each site is a single frequency, would eliminate some of that concern.

Is NXDN able to embed the callsign, like D-star?

Sent via Tapatalk

N8OHU

If each site is a single frequency, would eliminate some of that concern.

Is NXDN able to embed the callsign, like D-star?

Sent via Tapatalk

No, and the embedded callsign in D-STAR isn't actually for ID purposes, though many people use it like it is. The intended purpose is for updating what repeater you're operating on if using the "Callsign Routing" feature of D-STAR.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
No, and the embedded callsign in D-STAR isn't actually for ID purposes, though many people use it like it is. The intended purpose is for updating what repeater you're operating on if using the "Callsign Routing" feature of D-STAR.

Does it meet the requirements, as with other digital modes?

Sent via Tapatalk

stevelton

No, NXDN cant send alpha-numeric unit IDs, only numbers, so that does not meet the ID requirements.
While the intent for the Call Signs on the data stream of a D-Star transmission may originally be for routing, it does meet the ID requirements with every transmission, which makes it fine if people wish to do that.

However, I say that is not a good habit to get into, because it dulls the operators ability to remember when it has been about 10 minutes, and if they are on an analog simplex frequency it is too easy to forget to ID.
This is also the same reason I tell people never time your 10min ID with that of a repeater.... Because when you switch to simplex, you have trained your brain to ID when the repeater IDs, and you will be waiting a long time to hear that lol

Steven

stevelton

I guess one of the nice things about using NXDN, once you have everything built up on ham frequencies, it is a small matter to change it all over to a part 90 system, and then you would be able to use full trunking!
You cant use D-Star or Yeasu digital on commercial frequencies

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, NXDN cant send alpha-numeric unit IDs, only numbers, so that does not meet the ID requirements.

Yes, Kenwood NexEdge radios will do individual Unit ID's. 14 characters of Alpha Numeric can be done. Radios with displays will show this ID if set up to do so in NXDN conventional or NexEdge trunking mode. I've been doing this on a NexEdge trunked system for a few years now. Each individual radio has a unique ID made up of department name and radio number. I could just as easily put in an Amateur call sign in there if I wanted.

The NX-410's, NX-210's, NX-700's and NX-900's I have will also do a CW ID in NXDN conventional mode. Up to 32 characters 5-30 wpm. 400 - 800Hz. It's done by the radio switching to analog mode and sending..

stevelton

Yes, Kenwood NexEdge radios will do individual Unit ID's. 14 characters of Alpha Numeric can be done. Radios with displays will show this ID if set up to do so in NXDN conventional or NexEdge trunking mode. I've been doing this on a NexEdge trunked system for a few years now. Each individual radio has a unique ID made up of department name and radio number. I could just as easily put in an Amateur call sign in there if I wanted.

The NX-410's, NX-210's, NX-700's and NX-900's I have will also do a CW ID in NXDN conventional mode. Up to 32 characters 5-30 wpm. 400 - 800Hz. It's done by the radio switching to analog mode and sending..

No, "NXDN" will not do alpha-numeric, only numbers... Kenwood added the OTAA (over-the-air-aliasing) as a feature specific to their Nexedge line. It will not work with Icom or any other brand of NXDN radios. Since you may find a system with both brands of radios, OTAA would do no good for users of other brands.

If fact, on our WW NXDN ham repeater network, OTAA actually causes serious issues on the network, that it is one feature specifically not allowed.

Since the intent of the rule about Identification is so anyone monitoring can easily document who is transmitting, thats why it must be done in English voice (modulated in any of the various formats of analog or digital), CW, or a published, non-encrypted data mode (such as the way APRS, D-Star, RTTY, and some other data/digital modes function)

Steven

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If fact, on our WW NXDN ham repeater network, OTAA actually causes serious issues on the network, that it is one feature specifically not allowed.

Steven

What sort of issues was it causing on the network?
My system is on 800MHz, so Kenwood is the only option. Individual unit A/N ID's aren't an issue for me. Actually, it's a pretty popular feature, and cut down on a lot of "user" created issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.