Rookie Trying to bring childhood memories back! MUCH HELP NEEDED :) (ST. Louis, Missouri/MOSWIN; IL Starcom21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

connors6523

Hi there!

I have been doing a lot of research, trying to understand, on how to exactly get the most of my Uniden SDS 200. It has certainly been an experience as this is all a foreign language to me.

Not to bore, but, after my fathers passing I picked it us as I have listened to scanners with him for the duration of my life. He had a Radio Shack PRO 197 and lord knows how many before that.

Readers digest version: I wiped the memory from the pro197 accidentally and its heart breaking! I purchased the SDS200 assuming it would automatically pick up all of the frequencies he had because at the time I had no idea how NAC codes and all the variables. That doesnt seem to be the case because i can not hear much past the inital calls and there is a talk group that popped on the fav list (no sure how) that I hear a little more in person chatter and that is what I am ultimately looking for. We always listened to the full calls. Now I can only hear the inital call or traffic stop, plate info, then its like they switch channels? Need help!!

I have educated myself on Sential to thebest of my ability but there is alot to learn.

I am having so much trouble with programming my local police department STLMPD. St. Louis City. I am trying to figure out what exactly the issue is. Is it the NAC code I am lacking? I was under the impression that the SDS200 picked this all up automatically. I have used the software and like to think I have figured it out. But, still am not able to hear most of what I am loading onto my favorite list.

I long for some good help and hope you have some time to help a total beginner dial this thing in.

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE TO THIS KIND COMMUITY, I know I am a rookie and speaking quite vaguely.

Thanks for your time!

VASCAR2

Sorry your having trouble sorting through the scanner hobby. Scanning today has a few challenges compared to when you bought crystals for your local Police or Fire frequencies.

St Louis City Police is on the state wide trunked MOSWIN system and most talk groups are encrypted. Some LE Agencies are on another trunked system SLATER and are mostly encrypted. Some fire departments are still in the clear and can be monitored. There are a few fire departments in Illinois using high band VHF but many Fire and EMS in Il/Mo have migrated to trunked systems. To my knowledge the Missouri Highway Patrol is not encrypted and many interoperable talk groups are not encrypted.

The problem with STARCOM 21 is the system is designed to restrict reception beyond the borders of Illinois. Most antennas near the border are directional pointing into Illinois. You might be able to hear STARCOM 21 depending on your location in Missouri.

When you look at the database here on Radio Reference if there is DE in the column near the Talk Group name this indicates full time encryption. If there is a D it is digital and not encrypted. De implies the Talk Group may or may not be encrypted or only encrypted at certain times.

Here is a link to the Database for MOSWIN. You can scroll down to St Louis and see which Talk Groups have DE.

If I can be of further assistance you can send me a private message. I can probably answer a lot of your scanner questions. I’m retired so we can exchange emails or I can give you my phone number in a private message.

Another issue you might not know about with the SDS200 is depending how you program your SDS200 can affect the distance your scanner will receive. If you program using the zip code might limit the foot print your scanner receives. You can change the preset distances which could enable you to receive STARCOM 21 from Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.