San Francisco Public Safety going Digital June 2021

footage

Premium Subscriber
Today they have been simulcasting the primary SFPD talkgroups (A1-A8) on the new system, all encrypted. Still clear on the old system, but who knows for how long.

rooivalk

SFFD EMS4 (959) seems to be the busiest TG so far in my monitoring; "2-BSES DPW 2" (4083) is the second busiest. Followed by SFFD A1 & A3, Animal Control, and the SF Library.

(I've been logging for the last 5+ days)

I'm still concerned about the audio quality of the TDMA signal, but that may be an artifact of my BCT996p2 scanner and the simulcast. (It sounds like they're talking on old Nextel radios).

Biggest issue is the audio quality, so the PD turnover is being pushed to August at the earliest.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
Is this how the TDMA is supposed to sound? Or is this simulcast distortion?

Because if it's supposed to sound like that, I can see why users may be unhappy.

By the way, a lot of testing on both the TDMA and analog systems today. Although I don't have a recording of the analog, the analog sounded way better. (So not sure which side the testing was originating on!)

(Today's testing has lots of in the clear digital.)

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Is this how the TDMA is supposed to sound? Or is this simulcast distortion?

Because if it's supposed to sound like that, I can see why users may be unhappy.

By the way, a lot of testing on both the TDMA and analog systems today. Although I don't have a recording of the analog, the analog sounded way better. (So not sure which side the testing was originating on!)

(Today's testing has lots of in the clear digital.)

That isn't an example of how bad digital can sound. Sometimes Southern California Edison, the only P25 Phase 2 system I can hear, can be even more distorted. Keep in mind though, if you have one of the SDS models that the base price is under $1000 even with all 3 upgrades. My BCD325P2 with the NXDN and DMR upgrades cost was in the low in the $600 range. The handhelds and mobiles the agencies are using can be 4-11 times more expensive. When I find an Edison truck working on the grid in town, sometimes I will walk past to listen to their radios and the sound is very different than it is on my 325. Would you be willing to spend $2,000 plus on a scanner that would sound just like an officer's radio will? Neither one of us would, so we have to put up with some tinny sound.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
Actually, audio quality is very important to my specific use (which is not casual consumer).
Listening to this demo of simulcast audio on the SDS100, the audio sounds a lot better than my 996p2; but then we're not comparing the same systems.

I'm on the wait list for the SDR-based Bluetail scanner that Footage has but there is no ETA of when more will be available. (I'd love to hear an example of SF's TDMA sounds on that, hint hint)

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Actually, audio quality is very important to my specific use (which is not casual consumer).
Listening to this demo of simulcast audio on the SDS100, the audio sounds a lot better than my 996p2; but then we're not comparing the same systems.

I'm on the wait list for the SDR-based Bluetail scanner that Footage has but there is no ETA of when more will be available. (I'd love to hear an example of SF's TDMA sounds on that, hint hint)

The agency radios always sound better, no matter the scanner, at least in my experience. I have not idea of what a "SDR-based Bluetail scanner" is. I will Google to see if I can get info. I have no idea of who/what "Footage" is either.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
You could also look at the Unication G4/G5, they work great. The closest thing you will find to subscriber radio quality without the subscriber pricing.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
I have not idea of what a "SDR-based Bluetail scanner" is.

SDR = Software Defined Radio

The BlueTail Technologies P25RX stand-alonereceiver allows you to listen to unencrypted law enforcement, fire department, and other agency's P25 digital voice communications publicly available in your area. We are proud to be the only American business offering a non-subscriber receiver with excellent performance in simulcast areas.

Powered via USB, the user has a variety of listening alternatives thanks to the integrated USB, audio out, and Bluetooth devices. The P25RX can be a totally portable P25 listening solution when used with a portable USB supply and speaker / headphones.

Now supports P25-Phase II TDMA And DMR!

This thread on RR has more info on it: P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

I have no idea of who/what "Footage" is either.

Footage is a frequent contributor to this thread and to RR in general :) He has a BlueTail radio and

Last edited:

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
You could also look at the Unication G4/G5, they work great. The closest thing you will find to subscriber radio quality without the subscriber pricing.
I'm intrigued with the Unication stuff. Does it have an audio out or a headset jack? I need to get audio out from it (not just the speaker).

Edit: A bit of research shows me the "G-Series P25 Amp Charger" for $150 will do that. Basically converts it into a base station.

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

I use the Bluetail P25RX as my primary radio now to monitor a large simulcast mixed P1 and P2 system.

Without a doubt - this is the best sounding P25 radio receiver I have ever heard! I am sensitive to digital artifacts and hated the audio back in the early days of using P25 and other digital modes even on the cell phones.

I have to say, that with this device, in very many cases I swear it sounds just as good as good ol' analog FM! Easy to distinguish the users and very natural sounding voice audio in most cases!

I say "most cases" as there are some users who: 1) Have badly aligned/maintained radios; 2) Have older radios; 3)Missuse the radio/microphones or some combination thereof. Can't do much about these.

The worst sounding overall, I think, are the school bus drivers and dispatchers - they sound like they are swallowing the mic and/or yelling into it full force causing the radio audio to go into severe distortion. When asked to repeat they just yell louder making it worse. And, as you might guess - they are asked to/ask to repeat A LOT!

Otherwise, though, best sound from P25 decoding that I have ever heard!

Todd, the developer of the P25RX, is always taking comments and suggestions and is always working on firmware improvements. It is now a really solid device I highly recommend for anyone wanting a reasonable cost P25 simulcast receiver for trunking systems.

Just my 2 cents.

-Mike

nokoa3116

According to official information from SFPD, DEM dispatchers will continue to broadcast most calls for service unencrypted on dispatch channels PD A1, A3, A5, A7. The public will still be able to hear the initial dispatch of most incidents and their call disposition. The rest will be encrypted to comply with the CA DOJ mandate. The unencrypted as well as encrypted transmissions will be using P25 Phase 2 (TDMA), and will require a scanner capable of such. This change will occur during the Summer of 2021.

This was mentioned in a press release made this morning by the department.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
SDR = Software Defined Radio

The BlueTail Technologies P25RX stand-alonereceiver allows you to listen to unencrypted law enforcement, fire department, and other agency's P25 digital voice communications publicly available in your area. We are proud to be the only American business offering a non-subscriber receiver with excellent performance in simulcast areas.

Powered via USB, the user has a variety of listening alternatives thanks to the integrated USB, audio out, and Bluetooth devices. The P25RX can be a totally portable P25 listening solution when used with a portable USB supply and speaker / headphones.

Now supports P25-Phase II TDMA And DMR!

This thread on RR has more info on it: P25RX P25 Phase 1/2/DMR Receiver With Bluetooth Audio Support

Footage is a frequent contributor to this thread and to RR in general :) He has a BlueTail radio and

Thanks for the reply. This and subsequent posts involve matters that I don't need to know anything about, at least yet. Possibly never as I've lived in remote rural areas for nearly 45 years now and have no idea or vision for changing that. If we can't take care of ourselves when we get older, we already have a small city (16,000) picked out about 90 miles from the younger members of our family. I'm thinking most of this TDMA and other more complex technologies will stay in metro areas for quite some time. I have the Sierra Nevada blocking almost all signals to the west and the least populated areas of Nevada to the east, so frequency availability is not the issue it is in megalopolises like the Bay Area and southern California. I do try to keep up in spite of that, but for right now it isn't worth my effort.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
FYI- I checked with BlueTail and turns out they had a "demo/used" receiver available, so that's been ordered and is on the way. Looking forward to checking it out when it arrives.

KG7PBS

Thanks for the reply. This and subsequent posts involve matters that I don't need to know anything about, at least yet. Possibly never as I've lived in remote rural areas for nearly 45 years now and have no idea or vision for changing that. If we can't take care of ourselves when we get older, we already have a small city (16,000) picked out about 90 miles from the younger members of our family. I'm thinking most of this TDMA and other more complex technologies will stay in metro areas for quite some time. I have the Sierra Nevada blocking almost all signals to the west and the least populated areas of Nevada to the east, so frequency availability is not the issue it is in megalopolises like the Bay Area and southern California. I do try to keep up in spite of that, but for right now it isn't worth my effort.

Bro the State of Nevada is going P-25 TDMA in 5 years. so ya your not right about some of what you said

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Bro the State of Nevada is going P-25 TDMA in 5 years. so ya your not right about some of what you said

I can't hear much from Nevada at home. I can hear some VHF-High traffic from Cory Peak near Hawthorne, Nevada, but 700/800 traffic can't make it over the Glass Mountain range north of Crowley Lake and south of Mono Lake. The White Mountains are due east of me and the summit of them, at 14,200+ feet, blocks anything from Nye and Esmeralda Counties. The nearest Nevada repeaters to the north, in the Topaz Lake area of CA and NV, are blocked by two high ridges and the Sweetwater Mountain range of both states. I have the NSRS Edacs system programmed into my older scanners and the 325P2 handheld will be ready for any Nevada travel when they do switch over the statewide system to Phase 2. I'm not ready to commit to the SDS-200 for mobiles yet, they are so large that fitting them into my small cars does not look possible at this time.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

You might be unfamiliar with the topography of the eastern Sierra, there are two large counties, Inyo and Mono, whose western boundaries follow the crest of the Sierra Nevada mountains and the eastern boundaries are the Nevada state line. However, the White-Inyo mountain chain blocks hearing anything from Nevada in southern Mono County and most of the Owens Valley portion of Inyo County. It is possible to receive some radio traffic on 700/800 in a small portion of southeast Inyo County, east of Death Valley National Park. The only area where receiving anything from Nevada is in the Mono Lake Basin where 700/800 MHz from Cory Peak booms into Lee Vining and all of the areas in sight of Mono Lake, but is real marginal at best in the town of June Lake. In northern Mono County, in the Walker-Coleville area, it is possible to pick up the NSRS, Douglas and Lyon County, Nevada traffic, but I've never lived up there. I lived further south of that in the county seat, Bridgeport, in the late 70's to the late 80's. Nevada traffic was tough to hear as the Bridgeport Valley sits in a large bowl of surrounding mountains.

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard any SFPD unencrypted traffic on the new P25 system?
I'm mostly seeing SFFD A1/A1 and EMS4 traffic.