SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

thewraith2008

I know this does happen from time to time.

I had increased the de-bounce (button repeater) time from 100ms to 125ms some time back.
I could increase it a little more to see if it helps. You don't want too much otherwise it takes to long to adjust levels.

Latest version (v2.2.3.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

hamradionl

I know this does happen from time to time.
SDR# 1700 just mention Notice,
when move mouse cursor on top the RED/YELLOW button, only the First mouse click take 2 steps, when leave the mouse cursor on top of button, the step its working proper.
When remove mouse cursor completly from the scanner window, and than move back in the scanner window on top button, same thing happening only on the -- First - mouse click
Maby this explain more in detail?

BTW still one of the best plugin for SDR#

TDR-94

Are the same frequency scanner adjustments in this screenshot ,taken from another forum post, still available on the frequency scanner screen and still included in this version of the frequency scanner?

If not,are there equivalent settings and where are they located in the new frequency scanner plug-in?

Screenshot 2020-12-28 181323.JPG

Freq Scanner 2.2.3.0 - Crashes using RasPi based SpyServer - fine when radio directly connected to PC

First - really appreciate the work @thewraith2008 has done on both updating the plug-ins, as well as the nicely written guide on the Frequency Scanner - both use and installation. THANKS @thewraith2008 (and for Vasiliy's work preceding this).

Frequency Scanner works GREAT when the SDR (AirSpy R2 or RTL-SDR v3) is plugged in directly via USB to my PC (Win 10 pro - all updates). Love how fast an AirSpy R2 can cover wide swaths of spectrum.

However, when connected to a local RasPi based SpyServer using "Spy Server Network" as the source (using the local network connection of sdr://192.168.1.46:5555), Frequency Scanner crashes SDRSharp when attempting to start a scan.

Otherwise, without starting a scan, SDRSharp works just fine with the SpyServer: can demod, change freqs, bandwidth, gain, squelch, etc. SDR Sharp connected to this SpyServer works with both AirSpy R2 and RTL-SDR v3. Further, its fine to open the FrequencyScanner plug in panel, create & edit ranges & configs.

Just as soon as "Scan" button is clicked in the plug-in - it throws this error:

Capture.JPG

Requires SDRSharp to be shutdown. Doesn't seem to matter if the Plug-in panel is docked or floating.

At the bottom of the post I've included the diagnostic details from the error screenshot above. Looks like it throws something related to the plug in, but don't know how to read those logs.

Set-up:

PC & Local Software:
1) PC - Win 10 Pro v1909. Lenovo w/ 16G RAM & Intel i7-6600U
2) SDR Sharp - v1784, installed "naked" (not using the add-in package installer).
3) All other plugins deleted - both the .dlls and the entries in the XML file
4) FreqMan.dll v1.1.3.0 installed (and XML key updated)
5) FrequencyScanner v2.2.3.0 installed (and XML key updated)

Spyserver & Related:
1) RasPi4 4GB, running 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS (5.4.79-v8+) aarch64
2) SpyServer 64-bit for AARCH64 - not sure exact version, but in the last 4 days
3) Good network connectivity - No problem using PCM 24bit - no stuttering, etc.
4) AirSpy R2 - latest rc10 firmware

I *hope* I've got everything set up correctly, but would love any thoughts or suggestions for dianostics, things to try, etc. to isolate the problem and better help with a solution. Also, apologies in advance if I broke any of the forum posting rules - I'm a noobie poster on this forum, but this sure seems to be the braintrust nexus for this valuable suite of SDR# plugins.

Thanks in advance all, and hopefully getting FrequencyScanner working on a 64-bit OS RasPi4 based SpyServer won't be too big a thing.

Eric

= = = BEGIN SDR SHARP ERROR LOG = = =

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
at SDRSharp.FrequencyScanner.FrequencyScannerPanel.ScanStop()
at SDRSharp.FrequencyScanner.FrequencyScannerPanel.PropertyChangedHandler(Object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.PropertyChangedEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at SDRSharp.SharpControlProxy.PropertyChangedEventHandler(Object sender, PropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at SDRSharp.MainForm.ResumePropertyNotifications()
at SDRSharp.MainForm.modeRadioButton_CheckStateChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadToggleButton.OnCheckStateChanged(EventArgs e)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadRadioButton.res_CheckStateChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadToggleButtonElement.OnCheckStateChanged(EventArgs e)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadToggleButtonElement.SetToggleStateCore(ToggleState value)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadToggleButtonElement.SetToggleState(ToggleState value)
at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadToggleButton.set_IsChecked(Boolean value)
at SDRSharp.MainForm.set_DetectorType(DetectorType value)
at SDRSharp.SharpControlProxy.set_DetectorType(DetectorType value)
at SDRSharp.FrequencyScanner.FrequencyScannerPanel.ScanStart()
at SDRSharp.FrequencyScanner.FrequencyScannerPanel.ScanButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.8.4300.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SDRSharpMerged
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1784
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.1784
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.exe
SDRSharp.Radio
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.Radio.DLL
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Telerik.WinControls.UI
Assembly Version: 2020.3.1020.40
Win32 Version: 2020.3.1020.40
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/Telerik.WinControls.UI.DLL
Telerik.WinControls
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/Telerik.WinControls.DLL
SDRSharp.Common
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.Common.DLL
SDRSharp.PanView
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.PanView.DLL
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Telerik.WinControls.RadDock
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/Telerik.WinControls.RadDock.DLL
TelerikCommon
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/TelerikCommon.DLL
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
SDRSharp.FrequencyEdit
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.FrequencyEdit.DLL
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Data
Win32 Version: 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Telerik.WinControls.Themes.FluentDark
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/Telerik.WinControls.Themes.FluentDark.DLL
SDRSharp.FrequencyScanner
Assembly Version: 2.2.3.0
Win32 Version: 2.2.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.FrequencyScanner.DLL
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
SDRSharp.FreqMan
Assembly Version: 1.1.3.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/eric/Dropbox/RasPi-SDR-Stratux/sdrsharp-x86/Program-RunTime%20Files/SDRSharp.FreqMan.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

= = = END LOG = = =

thewraith2008

I think I found the cause of crash.
I think spyserver works a little bit differently than normal.
Not sure if the scanner is going to work over a network. (may need 'Use full IQ' ?)

How do you run the spyserver in 1784. The exe and config file no longer exist. Has it been pulled, what was last version it was in?

Release post here

Thanks for the reply

SpyServer runs separate and distinct from SDRSharp (v1784). Also, the SpyServer has its own .config file, and I'll put at the end of this post.

SDRSharp.exe runs on my PC, has its own config file on my PC. I've not made any changes to the SDRSharp config file on my PC.

SpyServer runs on the RasPi 4, and as noted above (and copied below) has its own config file. I have the SpyServer run automatically upon the RasPi start up.

Once you launch SDRSharp.exe on the PC, you connect to the SpyServer using the set up "gear" on the main panel of SDRSharp - you pick "Spy Server Network" as your source, and then make sure the network address is correct. Then you hit the little "C" to connect to the SpyServer. Screenshot below - in the upper left you can see where SDRSharp is connected to my local network connected SpyServer (running on a RasPi4 and connected to an AirSpy R2). Tells me the device, the SN of the device, and looks like the version number of the SpyServer software on the RasPi4 is v2.0.1700.

SpyServer.JPG

Hopefully this properly answers your question. More than happy to dig further & provide whatever you need.

Would be AWESOME to have this work - that way can deploy the RasPi up in the attic semi-permanently near a "real" antenna, and stay warm & cozy in the house using the SpyServer/AirSpy combo over the local network!

Thanks again for looking into this.

= = = BEGIN SPYSERVER .CONFIG FILE = = =

# SPY Server Configuration File

# TCP Listener
#
bind_host = 0.0.0.0
bind_port = 5555-6666

# List Server in Airspy Directory
#
list_in_directory = 0

# Owner Name
# For example: John Doe L8ZEE
owner_name =

# Owner email
# For example: john@doe.com
owner_email =

# Antenna
# For example: Random Wire/Magnetic Loop/Mini-Whip/Inverted V/etc.
antenna_type =

# Antenna Location
# For example: 48.858332, 2.294560
antenna_location =

# General Description
#
general_description =

# User sessions
#
maximum_clients = 1

# Maximum session duration
# In minutes. 0 for no limit
#
#maximum_session_duration = 30

# Allow clients to retune and change of gain of the device
#
allow_control = 1

# Device Type
# Possible Values:
# AirspyOne (R0, R2, Mini)
# AirspyHF+
# RTL-SDR
# Auto (Scans for the first available device)
#
device_type = Auto

# Device Serial Number as 64bit Hex
# For example: 0xDD52D95C904534AD
# A value of 0 will acquire the first available device.
#
device_serial = 0

# Device Sample Rate
# Possible Values:
# Airspy R0, R2 : 10000000 or 2500000
# Airspy Mini : 6000000 or 3000000
# Airspy HF+ : 768000
# RTL-SDR : 500000 to 3200000
# Comment to use the device's default
#
#device_sample_rate = 2500000

# Force 8bit Compression Mode
# The 8bit Compression mode has proven sufficiently good for most streaming use cases.
# Use it to same some internet bandwidth.
#
#force_8bit = 1

# Maximum Bandwidth
# Limits the maximum IQ bandwidth the clients can set
# Recommended value for WFM is 200000
# Recommended value for narrow band modes is 15000
#
#maximum_bandwidth = 15000

# FFT Frames Per Second
#
fft_fps = 15

# FFT Bins
# Bins = 2^fft_bin_bits
#
fft_bin_bits = 16

# Initial Center Frequency
#
initial_frequency = 101100000

# Minimum Tunable Frequency
# Comment if using the device default
#
#minimum_frequency = 0

# Maximum Tunable Frequency
# Comment if using the device default
#
#maximum_frequency = 35000000

# Frequency Correction in PPB
#
#frequency_correction_ppb = 0

# Initial Gain
#
initial_gain = 10

# RTL-SDR Sampling mode
# Quadrature = 0,
# Direct Sampling I Branch = 1
# Direct Sampling Q Branch = 2
# rtl_sampling_mode = 0

# Converter Offset
# Set to -120000000 to enable the SpyVerter offset
#converter_offset = -120000000

# Bias-Tee
# For AirspyOne only - Useful for LNA's and SpyVerter
#enable_bias_tee = 0

# Buffer Size (in milliseconds)
#
buffer_size_ms = 50

# Buffer Count
#
buffer_count = 10

= = = END CONFIG FILE = = =

thewraith2008

SpyServer runs separate and distinct from SDRSharp (v1784). Also, the SpyServer has its own .config file, and I'll put at the end of this post.
Yes, I'm aware of this, but as I said
How do you run the spyserver in 1784. The exe and config file no longer exist. Has it been pulled, what was last version it was in?
The spyserver.exe and spyserver.config files have not been included in the last few versions of SDR#. Why?

Release post here

morfis

Yes, I'm aware of this, but as I said

The spyserver.exe and spyserver.config files have not been included in the last few versions of SDR#. Why?

Removed around three months ago (around v176x). Possibly because of the frequent (false) virus infection reports on the download file which all related to the spyserver.exe
Seems likley most users would be using the seperate linux download for it.

thewraith2008

Removed around three months ago (around v176x). Possibly because of the frequent (false) virus infection reports on the download file which all related to the spyserver.exe
Seems likley most users would be using the seperate linux download for it.
OK.

I just looked on SDR# download page and see the that Spyserver is available as separate download now (for different platforms, Windows included).
I downloaded it and Firefox had a fit with it.
A Virus warning as you mentioned.
Strange thing is, this warning does not come from my Antivirus software (Comodo) and Defender (Win7) is turned off.
Sounds like witchcraft.o_O

Release post here

OK.

I just looked on SDR# download page and see the that Spyserver is available as separate download now (for different platforms, Windows included).
I downloaded it and Firefox had a fit with it.
A Virus warning as you mentioned.
Strange thing is, this warning does not come from my Antivirus software (Comodo) and Defender (Win7) is turned off.
Sounds like witchcraft.o_O

Release post here

Happy New Year all!

Yes - we are seeing the same thing: SDRSharp unpacks from a zip file from the airspy.com site (link here: https://airspy.com/?ddownload=3130) as a .exe, along with a config file titled "SDRShare.exe.config".

My comment on running the .exe and having an unmodified .config was to give a clear baseline on what I was using in the event it helps with troubleshooting / diagnosis.

If others have suggestions as to different / better source for SDRSharp executable or install package, I'm all ears. And, yes, I do understand the possible security risks of going direct to the .exe. Now, even more important in the post-Solar Winds world.

Minor update - tried scanning using FreqMan (again - same set up: PC running SDRSharp, connected via SpyServer Network [local] to a RasPi4 running SpyServer 64-bit, in turn connected to an AirSpy R2) - does not crash SDRSharp like FrequencyScanner does. However, doesn't work either. Seems to run through a quick start-up cycle, and changes a bunch of stuff on the SpyServer, but then stops. Don't know if there is a log file for the plugin (suspect not) to see what its doing, or if there is a way to step into it to see where it gets tripped up. But, thought I'd share in the event it helps.

Last edited:

thewraith2008

Minor update - tried scanning using FreqMan (again - same set up: PC running SDRSharp, connected via SpyServer Network [local] to a RasPi4 running SpyServer 64-bit, in turn connected to an AirSpy R2) - does not crash SDRSharp like FrequencyScanner does. However, doesn't work either. Seems to run through a quick start-up cycle, and changes a bunch of stuff on the SpyServer, but then stops. Don't know if there is a log file for the plugin (suspect not) to see what its doing, or if there is a way to step into it to see where it gets tripped up. But, thought I'd share in the event it helps.
Yes I have fixed that plug-in as well, I just haven't made the time to upload both plug-ins yet.
I have to reiterate that these plug-ins may not work when using via spyserver, especially the Frequency Scanner.

Release post here

ATCTech

I haven't reverted back yet to see if and when this began or if I've just never noticed, but if click Stop Scan on a currently active frequency (open squelch, voices being heard) the scan does stop but the SDR# received frequency increments by one step size value. Anyone else seeing this? (SDR# 1732 & Scanner 2.2.3.0)

The Best of 2021 to all here!

ATCTech

FWIW after a paying closer attention while still in the same session and not making any changes to SDR#, the plug-in or even the search range, the frequency does not always jump a step when the scan is stopped. It's random at best.

thewraith2008

I tried in SDR# 1732 with plug-in version 2.2.3.0 and could not reproduce what you are seeing.
I started scanner and when it halted on active frequency (with voice heard) I press 'Stop scan', I repeated 10 times.

There are so many variables to consider here it's not funny.
- The way scanner plug-in is configured.
- The way SDR# is configured.
- Other SDR# plug-ins causing it.
- Maybe dongle/driver used.
- All of the above.

Release post here

ATCTech

Thanks, no worries. I was curious if it was a common trend as it seemed so variable.

thewraith2008

... I was curious if it was a common trend as it seemed so variable.
No one has mentioned it other than you yet. (There always has to be a first)

To investigate this more I would probably need the SDR# folder archived up to preserve the user configuration/setup and then I could test with that locally to see it I could reproduce issue seen.

Release post here

TDR-94

I noticed that when I enter 30,000,000 Hz (30Mhz) into the scan range of the Frequency Scanner and have the 'Format list entries (must still edit in Hz)' box checked,it ends up being displayed as 30,000 khz instead.

Screenshot 2021-01-02 230910.JPG

Screenshot 2021-01-02 230827.JPG

thewraith2008

I noticed that when I enter 30,000,000 Hz (30Mhz) into the scan range of the Frequency Scanner and have the 'Format list entries (must still edit in Hz)' box checked,it ends up being displayed as 30,000 khz instead.
OK, for next release.

Code:
Changed: Frequency 30,000,000 Hz will now be seen as 30 MHz (instead of 30,000 KHz)
- When using 'Format list entries' option in 'Edit scan ranges'
- And frequency entries in the new frequencies list

I will apply this also to the Frequency Manager plug-in.

Release post here

hamradionl

Anyone test:
2x AIRSPYmini
SDR#1700
plugin: Scanner + Freq manager + Tetra trunk.
Start Trunk in DUAL
Did both CC + VC start and tetra decoding correct?

and test this:
2x AIRSPYmini separate
2x SDR#1700 separate
plugin: Scanner + Freq manager + Tetra only (no trunk)

Did both SDR# start and tetra deco?ding correct?
Why?
I notice one off the SDR# the tetra is not working
Use without scanner/manager (not sure with one causing) all seem working

Last edited: