SDS100 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
I'm still rocking my BCD396XT and now getting in to SDR.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
I still have my BCD536Hp scanner and it works pretty good up hear in Roy.
Would like to get in to the sdr radio
would like to get a uniden 100
where can you get a copy of the trunker program that you are using
i have windos 10

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS100 and 2 SDS200's
Other than the amazing display and solid trunking performance, I was not impressed with the SDS100. The fat battery, poor speaker, and large size keep me reaching for the 436HP more than the 100.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
The display is amazing. For me, it shows alot of info to be ignored. It is very good with Simocast systems.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
Grasshopper, here is the secret:
You take advantage of the desensitization principle. Once you have a lot of something, they become indistinguishable. For radios, its somewhere around 8-10. They don't have to be good radios. Cheap base/mobile radios is a good way to start. Then as you add/swap it is hard to tell a change is happening. Especially if you make the sale of radios very open. "Honey, I'm going to sell a few radios, so I can get the one I really want". Magic.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
So, we have a few in the area. I bought mine shortly after they came out, but was focused on using my Whistlers (TRX-1&2s) to do much with the 100. During the SLC "Riots", a couple family members wanted to borrow my Whistlers, and so i was reduced to actually using the SDS100. A very steep learning curve, and I am finding that it does not handle a couple (so far) of the local trunk systems very well. But,, I am an old dog learning new tricks.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Me again. Still learning this radio (SDS100). I am still having issues with "Wildcard" on several of the systems, At the monet I'm trying to get the SLC PS (AC33) system working. I know this radio is suppose to do wildcards (at least the internet says so), but I can not get it to show/stop on any channels/users when on wildcard (0). I removed a couple of the high use channels on the system (TG 704 & 736), to see if it will "find" them, and nothing. It sits there very quiet. Help!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Me again. Still learning this radio (SDS100). I am still having issues with "Wildcard" on several of the systems, At the monet I'm trying to get the SLC PS (AC33) system working. I know this radio is suppose to do wildcards (at least the internet says so), but I can not get it to show/stop on any channels/users when on wildcard (0). I removed a couple of the high use channels on the system (TG 704 & 736), to see if it will "find" them, and nothing. It sits there very quiet. Help!
A zero (0) is not a wildcard on Uniden scanners, including the SDS100. The only "wildcard" option is that used for Private Calls when in ID Scan mode.

If you want to search for talkgroups that are not programmed, set the system as "ID Search", not "ID Scan". ID Search will allow the scanner to stop on any active TGID, as long as it is not set to Avoid, and it is not in a Department set as Avoid. When in ID Search mode, you'll see that scrolling across the display when it is scanning a trunked system set to ID Search. Set that under the Options tab for the system in Sentinel; on the scanner, when editing the system in a Favorites list, the ID Search/ID Scan choice is under options for the system. ID Scan allows the scanner to stop only on talkgroups that are programmed, and that are not set to Avoid, and are not in a department set as Avoid.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
If I understand, ID Scan will only stop on channels that are programmed in the one site/department that is being "listened to" at that time. ID Search will only stop on any non-programmed channels on the site/department.
My radio set up,,, Sys Options only shows "ID Search" (on or off), but no "ID Scan", other than Priority ID Scan. When monitoring, I have system=AC33 SLC PS, Site hold=Site-1, and channel is "ID Searching". It will/does stop on what has been programmed, but nothing new.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If I understand, ID Scan will only stop on channels that are programmed in the one site/department that is being "listened to" at that time. ID Search will only stop on any non-programmed channels on the site/department.
None of that is correct. Talkgroups are programmed per system, and are completely independent of sites. Talkgroups and Departments are not scanned. Only sites are scanned. When a call is heard, the scanner does a database lookup to find the channel and department info for the talkgroup.

ID Scan ignores traffic with talkgroup IDs that aren't programmed. Any such traffic is skipped.

ID Search handles programmed talkgroups the same as ID Scan. Traffic with a talkgroup ID that isn't programmed will be played, but displaying only the talkgroup ID instead of the usual channel name. It's useful to find and identify new talkgroups on a system.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Okay. What you said, is what i thought was suppose to happen. It isn't. I have hold on System (SLC PS AC33), site hold (Site-1), the Channel display is showing "ID Searching", but it only stops on programmed Channels. I deleted the two busiest channels on the system (704 & 736). I see them on Unitrunker and hear them on a different scanner (TRX2), but silence on the SDS100.
This is the third issue/problem on three different system, I've found while using this radio. Maybe it is time for a Master Reset.
I do thank-you for your assistance. It is helping me to understand.
EDIT- Okay, deleting User Data now. Gonna start from the beginning, see what happens. Fortunately, other than a few spelling alterations, I didn't changed much from the downloaded database.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.