SDS200 Archived Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Wish all those ports were on the back. Gonna be hard to have a clean panel install if you need to connect a network cable.
The unit looks very promising, but I agree with the need for the placement of the connection ports in the rear. Some of us may prefer to keep the scanner connected at all times rather than plugging/unplugging cables. The front panel placement of the programming cable on my 996xt bothered me to the point that I bought the necessary cables and adapters to make use of the rear serial port. Maintaining permanent connections makes operation easier.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
One question though why didn't you keep the Wifi from 536HP line?

Do you not suppose that the USB A port on the front might be for that? I have only read the first page of the thread so apologies if someone else already mentioned this. (I too am confused by the multiple cable ports on the front of the radio as opposed to the back.)

Jay911

Feed Provider
For my fellow Radio System Engineers that want all the info:

LkdGNhD.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

C1zwiUa.jpg

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If all the ports were on the back, then you and others would say I wish they were on the front.
How about we compromise and place them on the top? :) If you study Amateur transceiver designs, many ports and connections are placed on the rear. The only exceptions, aside from mic and phones, seem to be USB ports. In the case of the SDS200, I think the LAN connection would have been a good choice for rear-mounting. Ports you don't need to frequently access are a good choice for the rear.

Jay911

Feed Provider
It makes sense for a mobile scanner. If this is mounted in a car dash, rear ports would be a PITA to get to when you needed access to them.

I suppose... I mounted a 536 on top of my F150's dash and am happy with the cables coming around from the back. I could come to love having those cables up front, we'll see.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The lack of any mention of it having WiFi capability is disappointing. Frankly, that's one of the best features of the 536.

I'm also baffled by the idea of putting the USB A and Ethernet ports on the front of this thing, when there is a ton of empty space on the back panel.

View attachment 67474

Well, mobile installs or in a rack...simplicity. No need to remove it or crawl around behind it to connect. Great design!

Status
Not open for further replies.