SDS200 possible keypad backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Backlight comparisons are difficult unless you are comparing two SDS200's, as some have done. Even then, photographic evidence is unreliable due to camera variations and ambient lighting conditions. Taking a photo of the entire front panel, including a bright main screen, will automatically cause the button illumination to appear dim. The reason is that the camera adjusts the exposure to compensate for the brightest light in the frame, causing all else to appear dimmer than it actually is. Alternately, if you take the photo while covering the main screen and just focus on the button panel, the illumination may appear brighter in the resulting photo than it really is to your eye. Then too, most people are probably taking these photos using their smartphone cameras, and not some professional grade Nikon.

This is a great explanation but than what about the consumer who is sitting in a dark room and report they can't see the display in a dark room with there own eyes? Or the ones who have 2 units side by side and one is clearly brighter than the other. There are some that even report a having to cup there hands over the display to see it or not all the numbers are illuminate. Uniden will request a photo but as you stated above the smart phone will never truly capture what the human eye can see and Uniden will say it's within specs. Is barley visible really ok. What was the reasoning for making the backlight on a plugged in scanner dimmer than the battery operated version.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
This is a great explanation but than what about the consumer who is sitting in a dark room and report they can't see the display in a dark room with there own eyes? Or the ones who have 2 units side by side and one is clearly brighter than the other. There are some that even report a having to cup there hands over the display to see it or not all the numbers are illuminate. Uniden will request a photo but as you stated above the smart phone will never truly capture what the human eye can see and Uniden will say it's within specs. Is barley visible really ok. What was the reasoning for making the backlight on a plugged in scanner dimmer than the battery operated version.
I'm not in a position (not an SDS owner) to agree or disagree with the presence of a backlight problem. Nor do I disbelieve anyone experiencing the problem. I only point out that providing photographic evidence is dicey at best, given all the variables involved. That said, modern assembly line processes coupled with exacting engineering tolerances should pretty much eliminate sample-to-sample variations like this. I know stuff happens, however. Many years ago I toured a GM final assembly plant, and watched as two different workers on either side of the conveyor line installed two completely different side-view mirrors on the same car. In either situation, a good case can be made for strong quality control practices to catch the stuff that slips through.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I absolutely believe there is variability in the manufacture of these radios wrt the backlighting. But there is also variability in individual's eyesight: light sensitivity, contrast detection, genetic ability to see in the dark, degree of lens cloudiness (cataracts) etc - as well as camera exposure. What looks fine to me may not to others. And the display has the capability to be much brighter compared to the key backlighting - that's where the design factor comes into play. People who have an obviously defective backlight should exchange their units (and make sure they purchase from a retailer who accepts exchanges with reasonable terms - particularly if they are a picky / demanding consumer.)

Last edited:

BigC801

I understand that you are dissatisfied and disappointed, but I don't understand why you purchased optional upgrades for a defective radio - would it not have been prudent to have waited to get a radio that works to your satisfaction before spending additional money on non-returnable licenses?

The first few days I just thought they cut the keypad backlight out of it to save money, but I kept *****ing to myself i couldn't see the keys, then I finally went looking for if it was included or not.

Your right it was my fault I knew better after the 436/536 debacle.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Even if you could return it to the place of purchase without a huge restocking fee, how would you get your money back from the 110$ worth of add-ons for NXDN and DMR I've already purchased

If you can provide a return receipt for a unit that you have the upgrades on, we can refund the key purchase. This is the only situation where we can issue a refund for upgrade keys.

dfw1193

I may have missed something here, I thought this was established by upman to be by design and within specs and essentially he's saying there is no defect. The comparison photos posted were not the radios but exposure problems with the cameras taking the photos?

If the radio can be returned as defective even though it's been established that it's not defective then that's a good thing and people can get their money back if they want or roll the dice on another unit and the radio won't be restocked and put back into circulation, I guess it's returned to Uniden? What do they do with them since it's not a defect? I guess the vendors refund the money from the upgrades because it's a defective radio even though Uniden has established it's not defective? Does Uniden refund the upgrades? For those who have all the answers maybe you could help people out with those answers.

My training tells me here to disengage. Let's let the thread speak for itself along with all of the user reports, uniden response and now the further comments that are coming in.

Again, I was just giving my two cents. RR is here to help its members and I think that's being done.
I would think upman is reasonable person he should be able to compare 2 exact same units and see the difference and that its an issue, I can see it in photos I have bifocals and almost retirement age upman has degrees .. but should still have common sense on objective observation.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I absolutely believe there is variability in the manufacture of these radio wrt the backlighting. But there is also variability in individual's eyesight: light sensitivity, contrast detection, genetic ability to see in the dark, degree of lens cloudiness (cataracts) etc - as well as camera exposure. What looks fine to me may not to others. People who have an obviously defective backlight should exchange their units (and make sure they purchase from a retailer who accepts exchanges with reasonable terms - particularly if they are a picky / demanding consumer.)
Very true! However, one would also think that Uniden would have been extremely careful with the launch of the SDS200 after the verified problems encountered with past launches (SDS100, x36HP's). Then too, consumer's expectations rise exponentially with the selling price of the product. I can accept more issues with a $200 product than I can with a $700 one.

ansky

Here's my takeaway from reading 126 posts about this topic. If people need to argue about how dim their display is then it's obviously defective units or poor design. There are a select few users on here that will say they are fine with how the backlight performs, but those are the same people that would be fine if their unit caught fire too. I bought a BCT8 over a decade ago with brightly lit keys. There are pictures on here of other older models with great keypad lighting too. Why Uniden chose to move away from that (if that's really the excuse here) then that's just simply terrible design and poor decision making.

dfw1193

I would think upman is reasonable person he should be able to compare 2 exact same units and see the difference and that its an issue, I can see it in photos I have bifocals and almost retirement age upman has degrees .. but should still have common sense on objective observation.

One of the listed features on the package state keypad backlight so if it doesnt work its a defect covered under warranty how hard is that to figure out. If the keypad is not lit with the display turned off and the settings for backlight turned on its a defect I dont need to find 6 or 12 people to deliberate over that its common sense.

wise871

Database Admin
Funny how a cheaper Uniden scanner has better backlight than the $700 flagship. Even the SDS100 on batteries has better illumination. What was the thinking on this decision to make it dimmer? And the fact that it only has on and off and not dimmable with the LCD screen has me confused.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Funny how a cheaper Uniden scanner has better backlight than the $700 flagship. Even the SDS100 on batteries has better illumination. What was the thinking on this decision to make it dimmer? And the fact that it only has on and off and not dimmable with the LCD screen has me confused.

I can tell you that an LCD display must have the ability to get very bright to be readable during the daytime in a vehicle (mobile) - conversely, the keypad doesn't need any backlighting at all during the daytime. At nighttime in a vehicle, you need to be able to dim / turn off the display prevent de-sensing night vision / just being annoyingly bright in a darkened vehicle. The keypad would only need a "glow" to be useable, and again if it was too bright. it would be annoying in a mobile situation. Perhaps Uniden *should* have designed dimmable LEDs for the keypad to account for vision variability / preference, but my keypad lighting works adequately.

Last edited:

dfw1193

I have an honest question for those having this issue. Since the scanner is named as a mobile scanner has anyone with the backlight issue put it in their vehicle and according to the install instructions used the mobile power connector and connected the orange wire to the lighting circuit as instructed in the manual. This should allow for the dimming and brightening of the backlight just as your dash lights I believe thats the way the bc885 cb/digital scanner worked when I had it. Just wondering ...

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Very true! However, one would also think that Uniden would have been extremely careful with the launch of the SDS200 after the verified problems encountered with past launches (SDS100, x36HP's). Then too, consumer's expectations rise exponentially with the selling price of the product. I can accept more issues with a $200 product than I can with a $700 one.

Also, keep in mind that lower end Uniden radios are not having the same issues as a brand new 700.00 dollar scanner radio is having. So yes, the expectation is very high since the price is higher. If you want to charge more than I or we demand more perfection or at least "Good Quality Control" and beta testing with good beta testers that can look deeper into issues that might arise down the road.

ke0hfc

Mine is due here on Saturday, but the 536 has three dimmer levels which you toggle thru by pushing down on the volume knob. Does the 200 knob cycle thru the 3 percentages that you can set in Sentinel or is it simply on/off?

allend

Premium Subscriber
Yes it still have the 3 cycles but within each cycle you can choose the percentage for each dimming cycle you want.

You can choose from 10 to 100 percent in each cycle.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Mine is due here on Saturday, but the 536 has three dimmer levels which you toggle thru by pushing down on the volume knob. Does the 200 knob cycle thru the 3 percentages that you can set in Sentinel or is it simply on/off?

The display is dimmable by percentage; the keypad is not dimmable - it's either on or off.

dfw1193

Being totally honest even though my 536 has the backlight issue and I choose not to have it fixed I would be more than happy if when my SDS200 arrives today the backlit keypad is lit as dim as my 536 regular display the keypad backlight on the 536 is much brighter than the 536 display but no complaints it was my choice not to do the recall program, just as it will be my choice to keep or return the SDS200 if a listed feature on the packaging does not function.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200, and yes, the keypad is not very bright. On the display's darkest setting, the keypad still does not even come close to matching up with the display as far as brightness.

But I will say this, there sure were a lot of folks on here, griping about "How much longer until the SDS200 is out?" "Where is it? Does it even exist?"

So, with that being stated, there *may* be a possibility that they were trying to move them out a little faster because of all the heat. Or to beat Whistler. Who knows? Not me.

But the bottom line is, if it weren't for Uniden and Whistler, where would the current scanning hobby be? I don't see any other manufacturer trying to seriously enter the market, and address the things we want in new scanners. Sure the G4/5 series are great on simulcast systems, and now with DMR, they are even more attractive. But you still can't scan Analog, DMR and P25 at the same time, like we can on a scanner.

I'm not saying to just be happy with what you get, but I guess I'm hinting that we really should try to avoid alienating the ones who are working to make these things for us.

Just my 2c. ...And, since I program my scanner via software, but not based off the database, I have quite a while to go before mine is all programmed up, GPS coordinates set, and of course, the re-programming that will occur several times, because I forgot to tag this talkgroup, or didn't enter the PL tone, or misspelled something, entered a frequency wrong, etc. etc.

....But I am having a ball doing it in my spare time!

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
t just got done setting my SDS200 up today, with stand it came with, sitting on my nightstand. Display on full brightness, the light around function knob is very dim, and far as the keypad, it may as well not have lights, if they are on, my eyes cant cant see it lit up. IMO, I’m sure as many others, they keypad, should be as bright as the screen, or there be a separate brightness setting for the display and keypad, cause me personally, would love for the keys to be just as bright as the screen.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.