SDS200 possible keypad backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I'm not saying to just be happy with what you get, but I guess I'm hinting that we really should try to avoid alienating the ones who are working to make these things for us.

How about we remember that Uniden is a company that is out to make a profit. You know Uniden does not want a repeat of the 536 fiasco. Still waiting for a completed Siren App by the way. We as users are getting so use to excepting what Uniden puts out because there is no other competition besides Whistler. Think about it, Uniden keeps raising the prices but cutting corners. Each release they keep changing knob placements, back light illumination strength, etc. I don’t remember ever seeing a post in the forms or a survey taken that says hey the back light on Uniden scanners are overly bright how about we toned it down some. Then when you question it, we get the it’s within specification. We all know it comes down to one person who makes the decision. How would corporate Uniden respond if the scanner division had to do another repair campaign on yet another newly released scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
t just got done setting my SDS200 up today, with stand it came with, sitting on my nightstand. Display on full brightness, the light around function knob is very dim, and far as the keypad, it may as well not have lights, if they are on, my eyes cant cant see it lit up. IMO, I’m sure as many others, they keypad, should be as bright as the screen, or there be a separate brightness setting for the display and keypad, cause me personally, would love for the keys to be just as bright as the screen.

Are you saying in a dark room, where the backlight would be needed in order to read the key markings, you are unable to see the buttons? If so, that would be way out of spec.

allend

Premium Subscriber
You would think that Uniden took our complaints serious on the last repair campaign and took the other defects serious and made things right. Everything on this site in the tech fourms are saved so they could go back with a list of complaints and took it serious and fixed it so it did not happen with their new flagship that cost 700.00 bucks.

Then you keep using their private beta testers that either reported the issues that we were experiencing and did nothing about it, or the beta testers only were testing the different trunking systems and that was it.

I just can't believe that nobody discovered the humming or the pulsing noise out of the speaker or even thought about attaching an external speaker and did not hear it. Maybe it was reported but the first production line of these radios were already built and that was it and let them hit the streets. No turning back the clock and run them out on the streets and take the money and run. Trust me this external noise out of the external speaker is not "within specs". You do not create an external speaker jack on the back of this radio for this kind of external noise to be coming out of it. It is suppose to be completely filtered and quiet like the rest of their previous models without this problem.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have gotten numerous feedback that the keypad backlight on some models is too bright for vehicle (and bedroom). There is no need for a backlight to be visible when the ambient light is enough to see the button markings. The backlight is intended to be a visual aid when it is too dark to otherwise see the button markings.

simiv

Premium Subscriber
Are you saying in a dark room, where the backlight would be needed in order to read the key markings, you are unable to see the buttons? If so, that would be way out of spec.
I have that issue. I need a flashlight in a dark room to see the keys.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber

Yes, and the keys are lit, had someone else take a look at it with better eyes, and even they said they are very dim. With my eyes I can’t really see they are lit, but can see my sds100 keys lit up nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Houdini7

Premium Subscriber
I have gotten numerous feedback that the keypad backlight on some models is too bright for vehicle (and bedroom). There is no need for a backlight to be visible when the ambient light is enough to see the button markings. The backlight is intended to be a visual aid when it is too dark to otherwise see the button markings.

Then how do you explain the obnoxiously BRIGHT and FLASHING Lan/Link lights on the FRONT panel?
Seriously, who thought this was even a remotely good idea?

Those lights are FAR brighter than my Keypad, and of no use to anyone.

dfw1193

Those who have the issues needing a flahlight in a dark room to see the keys need to provide upman a way to contact you privately to obtain your serial number so the production batch with the issues can be researched and addressed if identified as out of spec.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I received two scanners yesterday, one for me and one for my friend who shipped his to my house because I was home yesterday. Our serial# are 1 digit apart. My scanner is the one with the 996P2 and his is the other one. I programmed both scanners with the same settings, keypad backlight on. There is clearly a difference.
View attachment 68268
559522b9981757be9a3616673387475d.jpg

Yep, mine looks exactly like the one in second picture with the other scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mkt853

I received two scanners yesterday, one for me and one for my friend who shipped his to my house because I was home yesterday. Our serial# are 1 digit apart. My scanner is the one with the 996P2 and his is the other one. I programmed both scanners with the same settings, keypad backlight on. There is clearly a difference.
View attachment 68268
559522b9981757be9a3616673387475d.jpg

Mine looks like yours does. Very dim but still usable in a fully dark room. I also have a second one that is slightly dimmer and is most noticeable on the edge keys like the number one key, but imagine it would still be considered in spec. I'm using mine as base stations, so it doesn't really matter that much to me, but it wouldn't hurt to have it look more like your friend's level of brightness.

wise871

Database Admin
Ok, seeing we have to live with the dim (in spec) keyboard backlight. Tonight I connected the SDS200 to my LAN. So is there a way to DIM the LAN lights? In a dark room the orange and especially the flashing green light really become blinding.

CQ

I try to keep the key backlight off but keeps turning on after every power cycle. Decided to turn off the room lights to see what I'm missing...the two bottom left lights are the dimmest. The 1 column is actually dimmer than the other two (not like the bottom two) but didn't really show up on the pics I took. The screen brightness is set to 10% for 15 seconds during activity.
Lights.jpg

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I try to keep the key backlight off but keeps turning on after every power cycle. Decided to turn off the room lights to see what I'm missing...the two bottom left lights are the dimmest. The 1 column is actually dimmer than the other two (not like the bottom two) but didn't really show up on the pics I took. The screen brightness is set to 10% for 15 seconds during activity.
View attachment 68403
IMO, both the screen and the keys are perfectly readable.

Ubbe

I have gotten numerous feedback that the keypad backlight on some models is too bright....
Wouldn't it be a great idea for the next scanner model to have the keypad backlight being driven from the display backlight circuit, so they both would be adjusted by the users preference? And whatabout a light detector /photocell to help adjust the display backlight in a vehicle when driving into a tunnel or dark area or when you have different light levels in a room depending of if the sun are behind a cloud or not.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.