Sentinel vs. RRDB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvendt

I was just comparing the Sentinel database and the RRDB and they don't jive. Looking at the MN db's, Blue Earth Co. freq.s on the on sentinel have no matches on RR. Waseca Co. do have some matches but the Sentinel doesn't have the control channel. I noticed this with quite a few counties. Am I comparing these wrong? Has anybody else notice this?

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I have heard that the Sentinel database hasn't been updated for something like a couple of weeks.

ScubaJungle

I've noticed that the arrangement is often different. By me, there were a few systems and frequencies that seemed completely absent from Sentinel, but they were under a department/site of another system, so it took some digging around through "businesses" or "industry" to find.
I dont think I've seen any completely different entries though, especially in the case of a system that wasnt recently updated.

I just checked out the county youre referencing, and it looks like the frequencies are there under
"Blue Earth"
then "Blue Earth County - Cities, Mankato, Good Thunder"

the "ARMER" system is under "Statewide"

cm205

In the past I have noticed similar discrepancies - systems that were listed in the RRDB (and had built out sites and talkgroups) not being pulled into Sentinel's nationwide database. Also, some incorrect or absent color code information for DMR systems. It has been relatively rare, and did not impact systems I frequently monitored. They seem to be corrected after a few months, so I don't know if they were fixed on the RR or Uniden end, or something just unjammed in the system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was just comparing the Sentinel database and the RRDB and they don't jive. Looking at the MN db's, Blue Earth Co. freq.s on the on sentinel have no matches on RR. Waseca Co. do have some matches but the Sentinel doesn't have the control channel. I noticed this with quite a few counties. Am I comparing these wrong? Has anybody else notice this?

Where are you looking? I'm not seeing what you are describing.
Waseca in the Sentinel Database:
Same site on database page

New Richland in Sentinel

New Richland on database page

Mapleton (Blue Earth) in Sentinel:

In the database

Lake Crystal- Sentinel

In the database

Sentinel does not flag the control channel, as by default, it includes all the frequencies in the database.
While the frequencies in Sentinel and on the database page may not be sorted the same way, the same frequencies are there in both sources.

If you are seeing a difference somewhere else, provide a link or description as to where that can be found.

dvendt

Sounds good. Thanks all. That's what 48 hours without sleep will do to an old fella. I hate insomnia.

dvendt

Should I go through and delete all the voice channels and keep only the control and alternate channels or is that a bad idea? Want to speed up scanning rate if possible.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Should I go through and delete all the voice channels and keep only the control and alternate channels or is that a bad idea? Want to speed up scanning rate if possible.
No. The scan speed difference is negligible (<5%), some systems rotate the control channel regularly, and if you delete the voice channels, you'll miss all traffic when the listed control channel isn't actually being used as the control channel.

dvendt

No. The scan speed difference is negligible (<5%), some systems rotate the control channel regularly, and if you delete the voice channels, you'll miss all traffic when the listed control channel isn't actually being used as the control channel.
Thanks for the info.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you want to "gild the lilly", you could move the known control and alternate control channels to the top of the list of frequencies. That scanner "latches" on to the the first active control channel it sees and forgets about the rest of them. I'm not sure the effort is worth it, except to the most discerning scannist.

Jimbnks

Premium Subscriber
If you want to "gild the lilly", you could move the known control and alternate control channels to the top of the list of frequencies. That scanner "latches" on to the the first active control channel it sees and forgets about the rest of them. I'm not sure the effort is worth it, except to the most discerning scannist.

I have done this, as well as monitor the tower in the current activity mode to see how the channel are rotated on a regular base, and adjust the list in on my scanner. It has speeded up the scan some.

Status
Not open for further replies.