SIRN

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I was going to submit that info last week but all my submissions get ignored so I no longer bother....
Only have had one submission in past three years and every one before that has been worked so I call bull****.

for the Brooke audio issue, yea I'm glad it's not just me...... "Brooke County EMS" dispatch is so annoyingly loud and at times so obnoxiously squealy that I couldn't take it anymore and had to lock it out.. . "Wetzel County 911" dispatch is ungodly loud as well but other than that it sounds ok
Sounds like the mic gain is turned up super high on the dispatch consoles.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was going to submit that info last week but all my submissions get ignored so I no longer bother....

If you are referring to your email to me from Sept 5, that is not a submission - that's a private email to me. And, you know your emails are quite scattered as far as content, and that I always have questions -- and that if I ask you to elaborate you either get irritated or [more often] you don't reply for a month when you check your email again. So if you have things to submit, you need to use that handy dandy Submit button and you need to be responsive to questions about your submissions :)

Mylan

Feed Provider
In response to the messages calling me out, I dont want to hijack the thread any more than it already has but I do feel the need for a public response/explanation... While it is a fact that my most recent submission from last month was disregarded without being questioned, I obviously was mistaken in the belief that I had actually "submitted" the other information I was thinking about which, as Mike referred, was indeed contained in a lengthy email message... In the past Mike and I have had many private discussions regarding all things radio and he has really helped me have a better understanding of radio theory, radio operation, and computer software- and at times, has performed DB entries on my behalf, but to be fair he did, however, suggest a couple years ago that he would prefer that I do use the submission feature... In that most recent email I do believe at one point I had suggested some information on recent changes and observations that would make the RR database more accurate.

As for getting irate? I'm really hoping there must be a misunderstanding there Mike because I would sure like to think that it takes a lot to get me bent out of shape.... I may be mistaken again but usually any irritability from me is most likely solely directed at my own self for the inability to learn a solid understanding of radio theory, modern scanners, etc; but yea, I dont get email via phone and dont get around to my inbox or to these forums as often as I should (unless already engaged in conversation or expecting correspondence)... In short, I try to help out the best I can but am extremely ignorant about most things that have to do with radiowaves and all things computer (heck, just the other day it took me over a minute just to figure out how to properly use the quote button to quote a prior post).

When I get some time I will hunt down that aforementioned email and submit the contained information for review. If anyone would have any follow up to this message/topic, I would prefer PM because I hate to be responsible for continuing this thread off topic....

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
When I get some time I will hunt down that aforementioned email and submit the contained information for review. If anyone would have any follow up to this message/topic, I would prefer PM because I hate to be responsible for continuing this thread off topic....

The database has already been updated with the last stuff that you sent me via email.

M

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
While it is a fact that my most recent submission from last month was disregarded without being questioned
There are multiple admins that can process submissions, and each has different methods to determine whether a submission is accurate or not. We do not have a specific timeframe that we are required to complete a submission by. I was sitting on your submission for the commercial vehicle enforcement while researching the dept and simultaneously preparing to move so sometimes things aren't done as quickly as a submitter might like. Submitting again or emailing other admins just causes extra work or wasted time. You will get an email if it is rejected or worked, so if you don't see either of those then just be patient.

Bethanylt241

Looking for help. This is related to SIRN, does anyone know or is this person on this thread. I’m looking for the person in charge of the Brooke County feed on the scanner apps. I would like to get it contact with this person. Thank you in advance.

lukemester

Feed Provider
Looking for help. This is related to SIRN, does anyone know or is this person on this thread. I’m looking for the person in charge of the Brooke County feed on the scanner apps. I would like to get it contact with this person. Thank you in advance.
That's me. I sent you a PM about the talkgroup that you want removed from my feed. Please verify the talkgroup ID. There is more than one listed on the SIRN data.

lukemester

Feed Provider
Luke, is there a way to create a separate feed for just digital? Just a question
I'm not sure what you want. Do you want me to operate two Broadcastify feeds? One for SIRN and one for the old channels?

I've actually spent some time doing the exact opposite. I've had to build a mixer circuit to combine the audio from the new SIRN feed with my existing analog channels. I'm still working on writing the code needed to combine the metadata (Alpha tag) output from multiple scanners.

Do you just want to separate out the new SIRN feeds on your own scanner? You can certainly do that. Set up multiple profiles and switch between them.

Finally if you want to listen to a wide open (No talkgroups locked out) SIRN feed for Brooke County, I'm still running a test system with DSD+. This is a private feed that's not being uploaded to Broadcastify. You can access it here: SIRN Test Feed Without lockouts, this feed is picking up a lot of non Brooke County traffic. Ohio County fire, Moundsville state police and even some calls from Fairmont.

Possibly some of the SIRN experts on here can explain why the Brooke County system is picking those up? I expect it must be something like a repeater. Maybe my radio is not properly configured. I'm probably too far away to directly receive some of these channels.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Possibly some of the SIRN experts on here can explain why the Brooke County system is picking those up? I expect it must be something like a repeater. Maybe my radio is not properly configured. I'm probably too far away to directly receive some of these channels.

As users (State Police, Ohio Co Fire, other state/fed agencies) roam from tower to tower, as they roam to a Brooke Co tower you are going to hear their traffic. Let's assume you hear an agency from Fairmont -- but nobody is talking about anything local to Brooke -- that still makes sense. The user from Fairmont area is up in Brooke Co area for some reason and their radio has roamed to that tower. Even if they aren't talking, as long as they are tuned to that talkgroup and are using that tower you will hear all activity from that talkgroup (even if you are only hearing activity on that talkgroup from Fairmont). The user who has roamed to the tower isn't talking, but since that user has to be able to hear the traffic on that talkgroup while roaming on the Brooke tower you will end up hearing all traffic on that talkgroup even if it is from units farther away.

Obviously you would hear Moundsville SP because that is the outpost that handles all the NPWV state police traffic up along the river all the way up into Hancock Co. And, you will hear Ohio Co Fire simply because in some cases one of the fire vehicles on that talkgroup is roaming around Brooke/Hancock or it just happens to provide them with a good signal at a time when they may have lost the signal from the Simulcast.

Bottom line -- as long as one radio for an agency is using a Brooke tower and is affiliated to a particular talkgroup, you will hear all the traffic on that talkgroup. When that radio roams away from the Brooke tower to some other, then you will stop hearing the traffic on that talkgroup (if no other users of that talkgroup are left roaming on the Brooke tower).

Mylan

Feed Provider
Submitting again or emailing other admins just causes extra work or wasted time.
Not really sure what you are talking about here... I never submitted that twice nor did I email anyone about it.... I discovered who was using that channel, found that it was not listed in the database, did the best internet research I could to find out exactly what that channel would be and submitted all discovered information.... The reason I said in a post that it was disregarded was because it had been several weeks , maybe even a month or so since the submission and none of my prior submissions ever took anywhere close to that long... no worries, all good!

Mylan

Feed Provider
and even some calls from Fairmont.
When you say "calls" from Fairmont I'm curious, are you referring to actual events occurring in Fairmont or are you referring to our local State Police dispatching which now gets handed off to Fairmont Dispatch on nights and weekends when the Moundsville dispatch signs off...?
The reason I am asking is because I never hear any calls from the Weirton site or from the OC simulcast for incidents occurring in Fairmont, just the Fairmont dispatch calling our local Northern Panhandle State Police Troopers...

lukemester

Feed Provider
When you say "calls" from Fairmont I'm curious, are you referring to actual events occurring in Fairmont or are you referring to our local State Police dispatching which now gets handed off to Fairmont Dispatch on nights and weekends when the Moundsville dispatch signs off...?
The reason I am asking is because I never hear any calls from the Weirton site or from the OC simulcast for incidents occurring in Fairmont, just the Fairmont dispatch calling our local Northern Panhandle State Police Troopers...

I was listening tonight and watching the DSD+ event log. You're correct. The "Fairmont" traffic that I'm hearing is listed as Moundsville Dispatch TG=9003.

W3DMV

I visit the Eastern Panhandle and is there a way to tell from the DB list what counties are using SIRN or their
county system? Or both?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I visit the Eastern Panhandle and is there a way to tell from the DB list what counties are using SIRN or their
county system? Or both?

Which countries specifically? I know for sure all of them use the system for the majority of all traffic. The only one that I can think of that still uses old analog radios is WVDOH.

Mylan

Feed Provider
The Ohio County simulcast is acting up yet again... 1/2 mile from Wheeling Tower site and receiving no signal.
(This is third time this has recently happened, every time happening on a Friday afternoon.)

(and 10 minutes after I post, it comes back up)

Last edited: