SLERS switchover date, May 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
you are in trouble with your jaquar as the SLERS is using full time ESK and full time encryption on all talkgoups.

The contract gives MACOM the option to sell off the astro equipment with the state getting a big cut, or the state will auction it off in big lots. Will not be any fifty dollar astro saber.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Most of the Motorola 800 portables are being retained in the areas that have other systems programmed into them for direct interaction with local agencies. They are not getting rid of the portables at this time, at least the ones that FHP & FWC have.

Last edited:

wsmoore

Database Admin
No the system is running full time encryption so unless you are using a state supplied radio with enc you are out of luck.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So much for that. No big deal, really.

What bugs me is the very idea that the state government, which is employed by the people, and financed by the people, would find it necessary to encrypt the whole system.

It's worse than paranoia, it's a government that isn't trustworthy.

I wish there was some good legal precedent to file suit against the state for denying the
people the right to listen to what their EMPLOYEES are doing on the job.

I've also never been satisfied that laws weren't broken or at least bent in the process that led to the state selecting the inferior, little guy runner up over Motorola as the system provider.

I really wish that certain federal agencies would just step in and say "Our standard for
intercompatibility is Motorola's Astro system. We require you to use it so that everybody has a HIGH degree of interoperability. Other vendors are allowed but their equipment must be fully interoperable in ALL modes of operation."

It won't happen but I do wish it would.

CJ

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The bid specifications did NOT request a full time encrypted system, I happen of of read them. The specifications DID say that it had to have encryption capabilities. Big difference.

Remember the system is not owned by the SOF, if not managed by the SOF, and the SOF turned over all the rights to the existing infrastructure to M/A Com. In addition, it was M/A Com's action that closed the whole system.

If I was in their shoes (M/A Com) and wanted to protect my "customers" radio communications and my radio system from intruders, you bet I would encrypt the whole thing.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
An interesting scheme. But the time frames listed are absurd. 20 years and 50 years?

Give me a break. THe system will be fossilized before it's 20 years old. Long before that
time, the state will bid out a full replacement system.

And hopefully, when that happens, Motorola won't screw the pooch again.

I still can't believe that the state was actually willing to commit to a company that is
relatively tiny and insignificant and which has changed hands FOUR TIMES in a little over
ten years. One rule of business acquistions is that if a company changes hands frequently,
it's because someone's trying to get out from under it frequently.
That should not be an encouraging sign.

Why buy the underdog system anyway when Motorola's Astro system is the de facto standard nationwide?

Southern logic, I guess. That, or the hot Florida sun has baked the brains of those who
made the contract award decision.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
ElroyJetson said:
Southern logic, I guess. That, or the hot Florida sun has baked the brains of those who made the contract award decision.

New York recently signed the largest contract in the United States with MACOM, well I guess that means they are a bunch of southern rednecks.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
ElroyJetson said:
An interesting scheme. But the time frames listed are absurd. 20 years and 50 years?

Give me a break. THe system will be fossilized before it's 20 years old. Long before that
time, the state will bid out a full replacement system.

Who is to say the system will be the same in 20 or 50 years. I'm sure M/A Com will do upgrades as required to maintain their investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.