SOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

Just another reason why NYPD is rightfully going through with plans to encrypt their system. I know it’ll hurt some to hear it, but officer safety and infrastructure control far outweighs hobbyists “wants” it’s been relentless on CW1 with rogue transmissions tonight. Electronics Section must be working OT.
The decision has already been made but if there was any question, the last couple days have sealed the deal. I'm sure they know the exact time frame that it'll be finished but if there's any chance it could be done sooner than expected, I'm sure they'd like to see that happen. It'll be a sad day for sure for a life long listener like myself. As a child my first time hearing NYPD was in south eastern CT in the summertime when the weather conditions were right. It was an amazing thing to hear for a 8 year old.

Reactions: 902

coolrich55

Cities across America are burning tonight. I'm not old enough but can anyone here remember a time like this? For me it's historic and sad. I'm not a political person, but I'm sorry. The president needs to be out tonight making a speech. Not on Twitter.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Cities across America are burning tonight. I'm not old enough but can anyone here remember a time like this? For me it's historic and sad. I'm not a political person, but I'm sorry. The president needs to be out tonight making a speech. Not on Twitter.
Late 60's early 70's

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Late 60's early 70's
Yes! Numerous anti-war demonstrations across the country. I was in college in Boston at that time, and recall watching police in riot gear marshalling before heading to the Boston Common, where demonstrations were almost a daily occurrence.

Archie

Can't those stolen radios be disabled over the air by tech guys? And the media never reported the rioters entering the 88 pct. God help us all. Feels like the 60's riots again. Yup took Newark decades to rebuild.

ansky

The decision has already been made but if there was any question, the last couple days have sealed the deal. I'm sure they know the exact time frame that it'll be finished but if there's any chance it could be done sooner than expected, I'm sure they'd like to see that happen. It'll be a sad day for sure for a life long listener like myself. As a child my first time hearing NYPD was in south eastern CT in the summertime when the weather conditions were right. It was an amazing thing to hear for a 8 year old.

Last fall when there was that terrorist incident in Jersey City, someone had posted that encryption was "imminent" on JCPD radios. Here we are 6 months later and they are still in the clear.

As a child my first time hearing NYPD was in south eastern CT in the summertime when the weather conditions were right. It was an amazing thing to hear for a 8 year old.
Listening to the NYPD was one of the first things that got me hooked on the monitoring hobby. It was the early 70s and I had a cheap AM/FM/Air-PSB-Weather radio. Back then, NYPD was on VHF high band. I vividly remember tuning in the Bronx from across the Hudson in NJ. A short time later, I could hear NYPD on the television set. Just put channel 14 or 15 on and tweak the fine tune knob. It was all fascinating.

It lead me to a very interesting hobby, and eventually got me into working for NYCEMS and managing several agency communications systems. Today, with more in the rear view mirror than I've got in the windshield, I'm still involved in communications systems - and I can trace that back to being that kid with a crappy tunable receiver, wanting something better to hear more. I've said it many times - I'll be very sad for the next generations who have to grow up without that magic. It's getting to the point where the people I see and work with lack the kind of passion that grew from being a curious 8 year old. It's just another job to them. That just sucks.

I understand why security is needed, and what happened especially on CW1 drive this home.

The process of changing things over from "A" to "D" takes time. Things have to be changed-out, and it doesn't happen overnight, especially with an investment of millions of dollars in subscriber equipment (portables and mobile radios) and infrastructure. But once there's momentum, it will happen eventually.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Can't those stolen radios be disabled over the air by tech guys? And the media never reported the rioters entering the 88 pct. God help us all. Feels like the 60's riots again. Yup took Newark decades to rebuild.

Yes, they will be stunned with an MDC Kill code by the Electronics Section I’m sure, and probably have already. The media only reports what they want to. The 88th precinct was “taken” for a short period of time, but regained control of by the PD.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Last fall when there was that terrorist incident in Jersey City, someone had posted that encryption was "imminent" on JCPD radios. Here we are 6 months later and they are still in the clear.

Much different situation when an official department 49 was sent out and press conference was sent out confirming they’re doing it. I know it hurts to say it/ hear it, but it’s inevitable. Just a matter of time now. From what I understand, all new radios have encrypted P25 zone duplicates of the analog zones in them. Per a different post on this forum

Reactions: 902

Danny37

It looks to be more organized as well.

CW-1 Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan
CW-3 Midtown/Uptown with traffic detail

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
They have some serious manpower, their the largest in the country by far with some 36,000 officers, and there are other agencies in the city as well. Google says chicago is next up with some 13,000

I know it hurts to say it/ hear it, but it’s inevitable. Just a matter of time now.
As we say back home in NJ, "Whaddaya gonna do?" What happened over the weekend just galvanizes the need. As for programming, having it all in there in advance is the best method of implementing. At (such and such date and time) switch from this zone to that zone and keep working. I do hope there is training that goes with it. FDNY went to P25 20 years ago and it was very problematic. They rolled it back and never fully implemented it again. The bosses should not assume that "a radio's a radio." P25 sounds and works differently than analog, and there's a learning curve. It takes a while to get used to it. It may also have different interactions with the dispatcher in terms of console priority and audio bridging, and keying.

coolrich55

Governor says a curfew will be implemented tonight. Plus 8000 extra officers. That can't be just NYPD can it? He must be sending in the state?

Status
Not open for further replies.