StarCom21 2020 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
I believe that Fire Departments dispatched by WESCOM in Will County simulcast SC21 on their VHF frequencies

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Anyone have any notes for SC21 TGs 3606, 3607 or 3909? Unitrunker logged some activity on TG 3909 at Site 101 this past Thursday. Regular P25, a mix of ENC and clear transmissions. Likely used by MABAS-type units, including MABAS Division 39 base and mobiles from Carroll County (far NW IL). I've previously logged similar units affiliating with or keying up on TGs 3606 and 3607. All three TGs are currently in the list of unknown talkgroups on the RR SC21 wiki page IL-STARCOM21-Talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki .

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I believe Wescom keeps there VHF simulcast for out lying departments contact...Its amazing how these radios can also operate on other trunk systems like Will County new system....When Romeoville is in need of help Wescom can join there system which is totally different from Starcom....

jx87jx

When you utilize a standardized mode of operation in this case P25, it makes it quite easy to have neighboring systems all programmed in one radio. Motorola, Kenwood and Harris all have slight differences in there truncated systems but in the end they all operate in the same manner. That’s how inoperability should work

n9lob

Premium Subscriber
Actually, I was wondering if they retain their VHF frequency for primary traffic vs switching to 800Mhz.
The more likely outcome is for another agency to move to the old system. When the Tazewell county sheriff moved from a VHF repeater system to 800Mhz EDACS, the ESDA/EMA moved onto the old system which still operates today. The McLean county jail uses the old county sheriffs UHF frequency on DMR for their ops.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The more likely outcome is for another agency to move to the old system. When the Tazewell county sheriff moved from a VHF repeater system to 800Mhz EDACS, the ESDA/EMA moved onto the old system which still operates today. The McLean county jail uses the old county sheriffs UHF frequency on DMR for their ops.
The VHF is used as redundant back up for departments and for others who are not on Starcomm and for paging Also Firegrounds and IFERN are still VHF.

officerdave

Retired LEO
The VHF is used as redundant back up for departments and for others who are not on Starcomm and for paging Also Firegrounds and IFERN are still VHF.
talked to WESCOM today on a call with Plainfield Fire . Used my VHF portable on their Fire North and good to go.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
talked to WESCOM today on a call with Plainfield Fire . Used my VHF portable on their Fire North and good to go.
and that is exactly why it is still up and running. I know of one DuComm agency that missed the chance to get the initial rollout of the V/7-800 APX7500 mobiles and are still using VHF in the rigs

JFDoering

The Canton site in Fulton County is up and running. Canton PD is using it. Fulton County Sheriff is using STARCOM even though all of the new sites are not on the air yet.

yrlessguy

I set pro96com to monitor T-231 in Congerville before bed last night and when I got up had almost no hits. After clicking through the screens I saw it was in site trunking mode. I have a couple of questions about what happens. First, does Motorola have a contracted response time to find the problem? Second, I see several McLean sheriff units still affiliate with it and transmit (all P2 which is a first) but no state units. Since they cover a large area are ISP and state units in general programmed to avoid non connected sites unless there is no other option?

Now as of 9 AM I'm seeing it look normal again with D6-8-17 traffic and it's back to connected. I'm still curious about my questions though. Thanks.
When a Starcom site goes into site trunking it's normally due to the loss of connectivity from the tower site to the zone controller, making that site a disconnected island all by itself. Sometimes when that happens you are at the mercy of whoever provides the connectivity (very often AT&T, but sometimes microwave may be in the mix too).
Most likely the reason you didn't see any ISP units talk on the site while it was in site trunking is that their radios are programmed to avoid site trunking sites and go to sites that are connected to the network. ISP especially would have units not able to talk to dispatch. For county or city types of users there will usually be back-up "control bases" that affiliate with the one site that covers most or all of their area in the event of that site going into site trunking. State Police dispatch centers cover such a large area it wouldn't be feasible to do that.

Blunt630

With protests planned tomorrow on the Dan Ryan.. What should I listen too? ISP Chicago? Or Statewide channels if they bring in mutual aid.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
With protests planned tomorrow on the Dan Ryan.. What should I listen too? ISP Chicago? Or Statewide channels if they bring in mutual aid.
Yes, ISP Dist Chicago, ISP Zone 1, and ITTF. Last time there was a protest on the Ryan, I remember ISP Dist Chicago used what was then known as Metro E, F, and G (now Tacs 1-3).

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Regardless, it was a snoozefest. Not much went on and only 1, ONE person actually went into the Ryan only to get nabbed by ISP...

Status
Not open for further replies.