Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hbright

Does anyone know what's up in Flagstaff? 2x SAM flights into KFLG today, both from ADW. SAM876 01-0040 and SAM883 20-1941. SKW3260 asked TWR on Flagstaff Ground 121.9 just after the C-40B landed and TWR replied "You know, we don't know, there's two SAMs down there, and we have not been provided...."

Looks like SAM876 is filed to depart soon back to ADW. Does anyone know of an alternative hex code for 20-1941? AE6CF1 didn't return anything on the ACARs site.

wbagley

Premium Subscriber
Not a great picture being from the cell phone and the distance to them, but two C17s parked at Martin State.

I have nothing to do all weekend and sure would be nice to see them when they leave if I know the time in advance with only living a mile away. Did get see one leave last year and it left on a Saturday morning.

Apologies, I had some connectivity problems and my earlier attempts at editing gave duplicate posts which I can edit but not delete.

I believe both of those C-17s are from the 167th Airlift Wing of the West Virginia Air National Guard. They usually use the DECOY callsign on the radio.

Most C-17s seem to spit out an initialization message when the flight management computers are powered up an hour or two before the flight. That message seems to be echoed on the ground L-band uplink and provides clues to an imminent C-17 departure.

For example, searching today on https://acars.adsbexchange.com/ for MDINI and KMTN gave this message in the results:

AES:AE10BF GES:02 2 .10196A ! H1 E
- #MDINI/ID10196A,DECOYXX,DUNGWTA02119/MR0,0/AFKMRB,KMTN/TD291530,15309B1F

In this gobbledygook you can see the DECOY callsign, the flight is from KMRB to KMTN (Martinsburg to Martin State, what could possibly go wrong? :) ). TD291530 I read as time of departure 1530Z on the 29th, 11:30 am local time. Maybe DUNG is the payload, I'm not sure. ;)

I've heard the DECOY C-17s chat air to air on 302.3.

You can plug the hex code from the L-band message, AE10BF, into ADSBExchange and get an aircraft ID and a plot of the flight.

DECOY XX.jpg

Last edited:

JetWash

Back on The Beatles "White Album" was the song "The Continuing Story of Bungalo Bill". Well this might be called the continuing story of the NFDD and the Evers MOA. About two months ago the NFDD published a split of the Evers MOA into several different sections, then cancelled the whole thing a week later. The split is happening now.

According to the NFDD published on April 29 and effective July 14 will be the creation of:
"Evers Center MOA" in WV, ID "MEVERSC" from 11K feet to 17,999 feet, and ....
"Evers East MOA" in WV, ID "MEVERSE" from 1,000 feet above ground to 17,999 feet, and...
"Evers Low MOA" in WV, ID "MEVERSL" from 1,000 feet above ground to 10,999 feet, but EXCLUDING from the surface to 2,500 feet within 2.5 nautical-mile radius of the Green Bank Observatory in WV. Also...
"Evers North MOA" in WV, ID "MEVERSN" from 11,000 feet MSL to 17,999 feet, and...
"Evers South MOA" in WV, ID "MEVERSS" from 11,000 feet MSL to 17,999 feet.

Operating hours for all are 630AM to sunset by NOTAM, with other times by NOTAM but no later than 1130PM. Use for all these pieces is by 113th wing of DC National Guard, with comms in every piece of the MOA sections on 134.4 or 353.9 which according to the RRDB are the freqs at the Buena Vista, VA, RCAG for ZDC sector 29 Hot Springs Low.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber

BAMA_15

[ЦИТАТА="wbagley, сообщение: 3671966, участник: 41681"]
Так этот журнал был в 23:40 во вторник, 26 апреля? Зулусское время? Или
So this log was at 23:40 on Tuesday, April 26? Zulu time? Or LA (Lower Alabama) time?

What is the 'inclusion of radio stations'? I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks.
When the (h/f) radio station of the aircraft is turned on, a certain sound is heard on the air (it resembles a crackle). I think it's connected to the antenna in some way. Each type of aircraft has its own "crackle". It sounds at the carrier frequency or at 2.5 kHz in the lower side band from it. This is what I call inclusion. I'm sorry if I explained it difficult.

The time indicated is New York. 26.04.22.
23:40.

I'm sorry? In New York, it was 19:40.

16Falcon

Apologies, I had some connectivity problems and my earlier attempts at editing gave duplicate posts which I can edit but not delete.

I believe both of those C-17s are from the 167th Airlift Wing of the West Virginia Air National Guard. They usually use the DECOY callsign on the radio.

Most C-17s seem to spit out an initialization message when the flight management computers are powered up an hour or two before the flight. That message seems to be echoed on the ground L-band uplink and provides clues to an imminent C-17 departure.

For example, searching today on https://acars.adsbexchange.com/ for MDINI and KMTN gave this message in the results:

AES:AE10BF GES:02 2 .10196A ! H1 E
- #MDINI/ID10196A,DECOYXX,DUNGWTA02119/MR0,0/AFKMRB,KMTN/TD291530,15309B1F

In this gobbledygook you can see the DECOY callsign, the flight is from KMRB to KMTN (Martinsburg to Martin State, what could possibly go wrong? :) ). TD291530 I read as time of departure 1530Z on the 29th, 11:30 am local time. Maybe DUNG is the payload, I'm not sure. ;)

I've heard the DECOY C-17s chat air to air on 302.3.

You can plug the hex code from the L-band message, AE10BF, into ADSBExchange and get an aircraft ID and a plot of the flight.

View attachment 120566
THE Second C-17 is 03-3123 Hex AE1234 which arrived 15:01Z

jetcrafter

Premium Subscriber
1349z
Strange flight pattern for Royal Air Force (RRR4031) flying from Halifax, NS up and around the tip of Maine. Normally Canforce and RAF cargo planes just fly through Maine to the other side. Maybe nothing, but it just caught my eye as strange.

wbagley

Premium Subscriber
[ЦИТАТА="wbagley, сообщение: 3671966, участник: 41681"]
Так этот журнал был в 23:40 во вторник, 26 апреля? Зулусское время? Или
When the (h/f) radio station of the aircraft is turned on, a certain sound is heard on the air (it resembles a crackle). I think it's connected to the antenna in some way. Each type of aircraft has its own "crackle". It sounds at the carrier frequency or at 2.5 kHz in the lower side band from it. This is what I call inclusion. I'm sorry if I explained it difficult.

The time indicated is New York. 26.04.22.
23:40.

I'm sorry? In New York, it was 19:40.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. (y)

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Strange flight pattern for Royal Air Force (RRR4031) flying from Halifax, NS up and around the tip of Maine. Normally Canforce and RAF cargo planes just fly through Maine to the other side. Maybe nothing, but it just caught my eye as strange.

Seems unlikely but maybe the Captain is over 65 ? I know there are Canadian carriers that employ Captains over 65 on domestic routes that are not allowed to fly through US airspace. Or maybe they just didn't get the paperwork done ? Seen that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.